v18 RFC: Extended artwork type naming
A pair of PRs (13848 Music 13859 Video) will add local artwork files to the corresponding library databases as arttypes named from the artwork filenames.  Advancedsettings is proposed as a location for whitelisting filenames to be scanned as library art (and hence, generating new arttypes).

The goal is to reduce the need for "helpers" to manage extended artwork for skins.  But for this to work, there needs to be some community agreement on extended arttype names.  An immediate issue is the use of "disc", "discart", or "cdart" as an arttype.  Additional potential issues include "logo" and "clearlogo".

I don't know what the appropriate venue is to sort this out, as it affects addon devs, skinners, JSON consumers, and users.  In the future it will also affect scrapers.  It seems kind of "above my pay grade".

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
checking the skins in our repo, discart & clearlogo are the most used ones.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Since Artwork Downloader was the most used addon for extended artwork, IMO we should follow the same filenaming....
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Artwork_Do...Filenaming

Great idea by the way... thanks.

Cheers
Nessus
Yes, the AD filenamings should be followed because of the existing configuration/filenamings. Otherwise it's going to be a pain for some users to rename all these files. And it will keep the compatiblity to all available external scraper tools.

Suddently by the way Wink I never understood why they haven't been added automatically before.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
(2018-05-12, 00:46)nessus Wrote: Since Artwork Downloader was the most used addon for extended artwork, IMO we should follow the same filenaming....
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Artwork_Do...Filenaming

+1

RE: Actual db infolabel names:

"discart" for both music cds and movie dvds/blurays:

"clearlogo" for logos

"clearart" for logo with image:

"landscape" for 16:9 image of logo over fanart

RE: Extra fanart
Additional fanart images should follow the db naming convention for Artwork Beef - "fanart#" where the number increments for each extrafanart image found
e.g. fanart1, fanart2, fanart3 [...]
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Have to disagree to using AD naming
I think the right way is the names you get if you export your library from Kodi, like <filename>.fanart.ext, thats the same as for subs, so the all extra files is named the same way
I'm an Ember user and @DanCooper  (the maintainer) have done an nice comparison table of names for videos https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=240291
@T-bird_se 

The problem is that the AD scheme is the default for most all available scrappers next to Ember. Even Emby stores the media artwork next to a AD compatible filenaming.
Break this and you will break all existing tools. This leads into uncountable miss-labeled file structures in thousands of existing Kodi installations.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
Artwork Downloader has left us with two naming conventions for video library artwork. The older one is the file name, and the newer one is the name as stored in the Kodi database (skins have used 'discart' and 'clearlogo' and 'characterart' in the video library for 5 years, and Kodi has exported these same files just as long). We have to break one or the other, and it's better to break one class of tool (media managers) than everything else (skins, scrapers, plugins, JSON-RPC consumers, and then doctoring everyone's existing databases).

It will be easier for some users to bulk rename files and update the media manger programs to support consistent artwork naming than to change everything else in the Kodi community. Those media managers that still don't follow the convention we've had for 5 years need to be changed.

Not everyone that uses this extra artwork in their library has them locally with the old names (or locally at all), but everyone does have them in the Kodi library with the new names, and Kodi will export files with the new names. Emby may save the local files with the name "logo.png", but it stores them in the library as "clearlogo", just like Artwork Downloader.

Edit: And there is Artwork Beef for users during the transition period while the media managers are updated. It can be configured to identify local files only, and identifies both file naming schemes, adding them to the database with the names that skins expect.
Thanks @scott967 for starting this thread. Hoping that all involved are looking forwards to having configureable (via whitelist) rather than hard coded art types for both music (my work) and video (by @rmrector ), but I just wanted to introduce some technical limitations to this discussion.

Life will be much easier for all concerned with the filename (without extension or case sensitivity) matching the art type e.g. discart.png or Discart.JPG  are picked up as "discart", and is accessed by skins by Listitem.art(discart), clearlogo.png picked up as "clearlogo", and is accessed by Listitem.art(clearlogo) etc.  What gets picked up as "thumb" is historically configurable to a variety of filenames, that will continue but that flexibilty is not be being offered for other art types.

This means that  if the commmunity decides it wants to stick with disc.png image file name, that also means using "disc"  as the arttype (not "discart" or "cdart"). Currently addons and skins have hard coded the name to type conversion, but it would be much better to just have a single consistent approach and stick to it. Can we try to avoid mapping a multile filenames to each art type.

We can give users guidence over bulk renaming of files for the files they already have. We can involve tool and scraper authors to use the new standard too. Artwork Downloader is broken and will not be repaired, we are moving on from it and so now is a good time to let go of the mixed file/type naming style it used.

The music library also has a specific folder to put all artist related art (rather than mixed in with the music files). It would be good if tools and addons could start to make use of this too.

Oh, and there is a test build for the music library PR is any of you would like to try it out- see thread in music support.
(2018-05-12, 18:03)rmrector Wrote: Artwork Downloader has left us with two naming conventions for artwork. The older one is the file name, and the newer one is the name as stored in the Kodi database (skins have used 'discart' and 'clearlogo' and 'characterart' in the video library for 5 years, and Kodi has exported these same files just as long). We have to break one or the other, and it's better to break one class of tool (media managers) than everything else (skins, scrapers, plugins, JSON-RPC consumers, and then doctoring everyone's existing databases).

It will be easier for some users to bulk rename files and update the media manger programs to support consistent artwork naming than to change everything else in the Kodi community. Those media managers that still don't follow the convention we've had for 5 years need to be changed.

Not everyone that uses this extra artwork in their library has them locally with the old names (or locally at all), but everyone does have them in the Kodi library with the new names, and Kodi will export files with the new names. Emby may save the local files with the name "logo.png", but it stores them in the library as "clearlogo", just like Artwork Downloader.

Edit: And there is Artwork Beef for users during the transition period while the media managers are updated. It can be configured to identify local files only, and identifies both file naming schemes, adding them to the database with the names that skins expect.
+1

AD have created some sort of de facto standard, but that dosn't mean it's that right way to go forward
As an example take clearlogos, AD did pick up or stored them on disc as logo.png and writes them to DB as clearlogo art type and that is just confusing
Naming it clearlogo and every one knows what is, a logo can be anything
And in the music library, a lot more of this is new in Leia, so there isn't such a strong naming convention. I suggest we stick with the same name as the video library when they serve the same purpose (landscape, clearlogo, clearart, discart) to keep things simpler for skins and other uses. I also prefer 'discart' over 'cdart' because music can come on a variety of discs, not just CDs.

The Audio DB and its API also has an album back cover and CD spine. Naming them "back" and "spine" seems clear and what I've set up in Beef for now.
In an attempt to centralise the naming conventions, I created the following table as a start. Any one with Mod powers is welcome to adjust as required.

Music Library
ArtworkcdARTA/BeefOtherAccepted
Artist
artist fanartfanartfanartfanart
artist imagethumbthumbfolder / posterfolder
bannerbannerbanner-banner
clearart-clearart-clearart
extra fanart--\extrafanart\fanart(1-9)
fanart#
fanart#
logoclearlogoclearlogo-clearlogo
thumb 16:9-landscape-
Album
album imagethumbthumbfolder / poster / coverfolder
back-back-back
disccdartdiscartdiscdiscart
spine-spin-spine

Video library to follow
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
TV Shows
ArtworkA/DownloaderA/BeefOtherAccepted
TV Shows
Actor--First name_Surname-
Bannerbannerbannerbanner
Character Artcharactercharacterart-characterart
Clear Artclearartclearart-clearart
Discdiscdiscart--
Fanartfanartfanart-fanart
Fanart- Animated-animatedfanart-
Fanart- Extra--fanart# (2)
Logologoclearlogo-
Posterposterposter-poster
Poster- Animated--animatedposter-
Poster- No Text--keyart-
Thumb 16:9landscapelandscape--
Season
Bannerseasonbanner#season#-banner
season-all-banner
season-special-banner
-
Fanartfanartseason#-fanart
season-all-fanart
season-special-fanart
--
Poster- Seasonseasonx-posterseason#-poster
season-all-poster
season-special-poster
-
Poster- No Art-season#-keyart
season-all-keyart
season-special-keyart
-
Thumb 16:9-season#-landscape
season-all-landscape
season-special-landscape
--
Episodes
Fanart-\season #\fanart--

Movies
ArtworkA/DownloaderA/BeefOtherAccepted
Movie
Actor--First name_Surname-
Bannerbannerbanner-banner
Character Art--
Clear Artclearartclearart-clearart
Discdiscdiscart--
Fanartfanartfanart-fanart
Fanart- Animated-animatedfanart-
Fanart- Extra-fanart#\extrafanart\fanart(1-9)fanart# (2)
Logologoclearlogo--
Posterposterposter-poster
Poster- Animated--animatedposter-
Poster- No Text--keyart-
Thumb 16:9landscapelandscape--
Thumb- Extra 16:9\extrathumbs\thumbs(1-9)thumb#--
Movie Sets (1)
Banner-bannermovieset-banner-
Clear Art-clearartmovieset-clearart-
disc-discartmovieset-disc-
Fanart-fanartmovieset-fanart-
Fanart- Animated-animatedfanartmovieset-animatedfanart-
Fanart- Extra--fanart# (2)
Logo-clearlogomovieset-clearlogo-
Poster-postermovieset-poster-
Poster- Animated-animatedpostermovieset-animatedposter-
Poster- No Text-keyart-
Thumb 16:9-landscapemovieset-landscape-

Notes:
(1) Is Movie Set Artwork stored with each movie in the set or elsewhere?
(2) Extra Fanart is located in the main folder, not the "extrafanart" subfolder
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-05-15, 02:23)Karellen Wrote: \extrafanart\fanart(1-9)
Never been a fan of this would prefer what @jurialmunkey posted higher were fanart is just named fanart1, fanart2, fanart3 in the main folder and just remove the extrafanart folder
There will never be such a thing like a perfect solution about names to please us all, so I think the sooner the two tables from Karellen are completed, the better... Please, let's define some set of accepted names whatever they are and we'll be able to move on; even if it requires some extra effort (renaming files, etc.) to have definite rules will pay in the long run...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RFC: Extended artwork type naming0