v18 RFC: Extended artwork type naming
(2018-05-15, 08:35)komplex Wrote:
(2018-05-15, 02:23)Karellen Wrote: \extrafanart\fanart(1-9)
Never been a fan of this would prefer what @jurialmunkey posted higher were fanart is just named fanart1, fanart2, fanart3 in the main folder and just remove the extrafanart folder
I was talking about the name in the database, not the file name. I'm not fussed in terms of whether the actual files are in the base dir or an extrafanart folder.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
(2018-05-15, 08:35)komplex Wrote: "\extrafanart\fanart(1-9)"
Never been a fan of this would prefer what @jurialmunkey posted higher were fanart is just named fanart1, fanart2, fanart3 in the main folder and just remove the extrafanart folder 
(2018-05-16, 14:49)jurialmunkey Wrote: I was talking about the name in the database, not the file name. I'm not fussed in terms of whether the actual files are in the base dir or an extrafanart folder. 
Well v18 automatically will pick up fanart1, fanart2 etc. for music artists from the artist folder, but not if in an extrafanart subfolder, so you can guess what I would recommend.
(2018-05-16, 18:22)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2018-05-15, 08:35)komplex Wrote: "\extrafanart\fanart(1-9)"
(2018-05-16, 14:49)jurialmunkey Wrote: I was talking about the name in the database, not the file name. I'm not fussed in terms of whether the actual files are in the base dir or an extrafanart folder. 
Well v18 automatically will pick up fanart1, fanart2 etc. for music artists from the artist folder, but not if in an extrafanart subfolder, so you can guess what I would recommend.

Definitely makes sense for Music and Tvshows where the folder structure is usually nested anyway and artwork is the only thing in the base dir. And that way it is consistent with the other artwork types. So +1 from me.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Will extrafanart still be limited to fanart1 - fanart9 or can it extend to double digits? Is fanart01 the same as fanart1?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
1- in the tables, animated arts are mentioned only in tvshows. it's a forgetting, I suppose
2- Is a good moment for talk about centraliced actors in movies and tvshows?
Some updates for the charts:

TV season "banner", "fanart", and "poster" have been supported in Kodi core for some time before this PR. They are attached to each season with that exact name in the library, and the file names are prefixed with "season##-", "season-all-", or "season-specials-".

Artwork Downloader used "discart" in the Kodi library for skins, but saved the file as "disc.png". Ditto "clearlogo" as "logo.png" and I'm pretty sure "characterart" as "character.png".

For movie sets, Artwork Beef uses "fanart", "poster", "banner", "clearart", "clearlogo", "discart", and "landscape". The earliest support for movie set artwork that I know of is Movie Set Artwork Automator that supported all but the last two (and added "thumb", which may have been meant for the same usage as "landscape" for movies and TV shows). Like Artwork Downloader, though, it didn't require that the file name exactly match the art type in the library, so by default it used "logo.png" not "clearlogo.png".

I also really don't like referring to "landscape" images as thumb or thumb 16:9 - "landscape" is a primary image with a wide layout as opposed to the 'portrait' tall layout of "poster". "thumb" is short for 'thumbnail', and in the context of videos should be a still image from the video, possibly limited in dimensions. Artwork Downloader set up "extrathumbs" for movies like this, downloading and resizing backdrops from TheMovieDB. There is still some hardcoded behavior in Kodi core around the "thumb" image, and some skins and other interfaces still request a "thumb" image when they really want a poster, but "thumb" artwork is useful as a different image in the movie and music video libraries.

And for animated artwork, Skin Helper Service has been saving them to the video library as "animatedfanart" and "animatedposter" for skins to access. I prefer this strategy so that skins can use animated artwork for only the focused item, but the wiki's suggestion of swapping them for regular "poster" and "fanart" can also be used for skins that aren't specifically designed for it. The names are a smidge long, but "anifanart" is the only alternative I can think of and it sounds weird. I also kind of like the idea of animated logos and character art and maybe others, and prefixing existing art types with the same purpose with "animated" is straightforward enough ("animatedclearlogo" and "animatedcharacterart").
(2018-05-16, 21:59)Karellen Wrote: Will extrafanart still be limited to fanart1 - fanart9 or can it extend to double digits? Is fanart01 the same as fanart1?

No limit as long as they are whitelisted. "fanart01" and "fanart1" are different (to pull these from the library without another add-on, skins currently have to specify each name exactly to display them), and zero padding in this case seems unnecessary even if there are more. I don't feel strongly about the zero padding as long as it is the same for everyone in all cases for all possibly-multiple art types, though.

File names still need to match the name as stored in the library to be picked up by these changes. If the whitelist configuration is later changed to include a count for each type then it might make sense for Kodi to normalize "fanart1" and "fanart01" to the same name to store in the library.

Edit: Movie set artwork is not currently supported in Kodi core, but MSAA and Artwork Beef support two strategies, described in the first post of MSAA. I strongly suggest using a separate central directory; I dislike the nested folders so much I don't have it documented for Artwork Beef, though. As far as I know, there has never been a tool that would add movie set artwork to the Kodi library from files named as the Kodi wiki suggests.
I have updated the tables. Please let me know if I have made any errors.

@komplex - added your suggestion

@DaveBlake - as the fanart1, fanart2 is scraped from the main artist and album folder, and not from a subdirectory, it would be sensible to carry this through to the Video library also. I have indicated that in the table and took the liberty of showing it as an accepted convention.

@narvatu - yes, it was an ommission. I have added animated arts in Movies. I think centralised actors is different conversation for another time.

@rmrector - I have incorporated all your comments into the tables. I am not clear on the following though...
1. How does Artwork Beef deal with episode fanart? With Transparency! I have the ability of using both Season and Episode fanart. But Season fanart requires the use of Season sub-folders and episode fanart requires the use of episode folders.
2. MovieSet artwork also needs a decision. Will it be stored with the individual movies (an approach I know you don't like) or will it be stored in a centralised folder? I think you use <movie-set name>-poster
3. For animated artwork, simply adding the animated prefix sounds sensible. I haven't listed all the different types of animated artwork as it will almost double the size of the tables. If there is an agreement on the simple prefix, I will make a note in the tables.

I think that is it for now. Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
If I may interject, with movie sets I really hope we can continue supporting the naming standard used by MSAA as that basically works and has worked for a number of years. The naming standard suggested in the Kodi wiki makes no sense to me, and I don't think I've ever heard or read of anyone using that format. I think the choice of centralised or nested directories is a personal preference (similar to multiple movies in a single folder, and one movie per folder) so supporting both strategies is probably the best option.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@Karellen
1. Season fanart is stored as "season01-fanart.jpg" in the main TV show directory like the other season artwork, and episode fanart is stored like the "long" movie image file name such as "01x01 - Episode base file name-fanart.jpg". Kodi has exported images to these names after they have been set with JSON-RPC or manually from the GUI for some time.

@Milhouse I can get behind supporting both nested and centralized strategies for movie set artwork. I'm having trouble picturing a way to arrange options in Kodi core to clearly configure the nested strategy, though; for instance, does "/Blu-ray/Alien movie/fanart.jpg" next to "/Blu-ray/Alien movie/Alien (1979).mkv" belong to the set or the movie, and does the "movies in separate folders" option affect the answer? If we can require that the nested folder name exactly match the name of the set (other than making it safe for a filename) like it does in the centralized directory strategy then that simplifies things - the above belongs to the movie and "/Blu-ray/Alien Anthology/fanart.jpg" belongs to the set if it is named exactly "Alien Anthology" in the Kodi library.

What do you think about subdirectories for each movie set even in the centralized directory, like "/Blu-ray/Artwork/Alien Anthology/fanart.jpg"? With a large library and a lot of artwork, one single "Artwork" directory may border on containing too many files.
(2018-05-17, 10:54)rmrector Wrote: does "/Blu-ray/Alien movie/fanart.jpg" next to "/Blu-ray/Alien movie/Alien (1979).mkv" belong to the set or the movie
Yes, I see your dilemma.

I normally have this type of structure for a single movie set:
Clearly folder.jpg and poster.jpg are potentially ambiguous, and would require "special logic" to determine that they actually apply to a movie set rather than a movie.

However since Kodi knows (or could/should know) that the folder Back to the Future Trilogy is a movie set folder (as all the movie NFO files have the tag <set>Back to the Future Trilogy</set>) then the folder.jpg and poster.jpg files should be applied to the movie set, and not to any movie.

(2018-05-17, 10:54)rmrector Wrote: What do you think about subdirectories for each movie set even in the centralized directory, like "/Blu-ray/Artwork/Alien Anthology/fanart.jpg"? With a large library and a lot of artwork, one single "Artwork" directory may border on containing too many files.
Personally, centralised artwork is not my preferred solution - my preference is to have the artwork alongside the movies to which the artwork applies.

But you're right that having _all_ artwork in a single, centralised, directory could result in a vast number of files within a single directory - unlikely to break any limits but could cause performance issues. I'm not sure if creating sub-directories for movie sets is likely to make that much difference as (my assumption would be that) most of the artwork in a users library will apply to movies that are not in movie sets (and not everyone bothers creating movie sets in the first place, so a user may have thousands of movies and zero movie sets).

Maybe distributing artwork across folders A-Z, 0-9, will help reduce the number of files-per-directory, although this type of distribution may not work so well for non-English filenames (in which case just use the first letter of the filename for the distribution folder?) It would at least avoid having many thousands of files in a single directory (anecdote: I did see a system where I once worked grind to a halt in production having created more than 300K files - client reports - in a single NTFS directory. About a year prior I had advised the development team responsible that it might be a really good idea™ to distribute their files randomly across multiple folders... they didn't listen, and paid the price - that system was down for days...).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@DaveBlake: What about double Albums where each Disc got a different CDArt.png / Discart.png? (As Long as both CD's are stored in saparate Folders no problem a guess, but what if a user got all Tracks from this double Album in one Folder? (I personaly use always subfolders for double albums "Music/Artist/Album/CD1/Track1CD1.ext", but not shure if everyone does it that way. i saw also users who reccomend to put CD1 and CD2 in one Folder.)

Would Discart2 for CD2 make sense?

EDIT: Or Discart-CD2.ext? -> "if Discart-CD2.ext is available show Discart-CD2.ext for CD2, else show Discart.ext" /EDIT

(2018-05-16, 18:22)DaveBlake Wrote: Well v18 automatically will pick up fanart1, fanart2 etc. for music artists from the artist folder, but not if in an extrafanart subfolder, so you can guess what I would recommend.
I personaly would still prefere a extrafanart Folder for Extrafanarts (Music and Video) even if the Artistfolders got alredy subfolders (Albums), i personaly would prefere a extrafanart Folder to have cosistenty to the Video Library + a not to messed up Artist Folder.

(2018-05-17, 10:54)rmrector Wrote: What do you think about subdirectories for each movie set even in the centralized directory, like "/Blu-ray/Artwork/Alien Anthology/fanart.jpg"? With a large library and a lot of artwork, one single "Artwork" directory may border on containing too many files.

+1 for this

i always like Folder structures with a god overview so i can also manualy delete or change Artwork.
Movies/Artwork/Alien Anthology/AlienAnthology-fanart.jpg"?

may use the satname to prefix? even if it is in its own Folder?

"AlienAnthology-fanart.jpg" instead of just "fanart.jpg"
I currently do this after seeing it on your docs page https://rmrector.github.io/script.artwor...on-artwork
I find it keeps my movie folders a lot cleaner
(2018-05-17, 12:02)Milhouse Wrote: However since Kodi knows (or could/should know) that the folder Back to the Future Trilogy is a movie set folder (as all the movie NFO files have the tag <set>Back to the Future Trilogy</set>) then the folder.jpg and poster.jpg files should be applied to the movie set, and not to any movie.
MSAA didn't require that the parent directory name match the set name in the library, but it sounds like we should with the default implementation in Kodi core.

(2018-05-17, 12:02)Milhouse Wrote: But you're right that having _all_ artwork in a single, centralised, directory could result in a vast number of files within a single directory - unlikely to break any limits but could cause performance issues. I'm not sure if creating sub-directories for movie sets is likely to make that much difference as (my assumption would be that) most of the artwork in a users library will apply to movies that are not in movie sets (and not everyone bothers creating movie sets in the first place, so a user may have thousands of movies and zero movie sets).

Maybe distributing artwork across folders A-Z, 0-9, will help reduce the number of files-per-directory, although this type of distribution may not work so well for non-English filenames (in which case just use the first letter of the filename for the distribution folder?) It would at least avoid having many thousands of files in a single directory.
With the full compliment of artwork including multiple fanart, each movie set can have 10-20 of their own artwork. I don't want a single centralized directory for all artwork across all media types, just for movie sets (/centralinfo/moviesets/Alien Anthology/fanart.jpg is a better example of what I'm after). I don't want to add the movie set to the file structure of movies whether the artwork is centralized or not, it's more a bit of info like genre than an absolute parent like TV show is to episode. If I can't find "Raiders of the Lost Ark" under R then I'm not happy.

I definitely don't want to make this more complicated by using A-Z0-9 folders.

(2018-05-17, 18:16)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: @DaveBlake: What about double Albums where each Disc got a different CDArt.png / Discart.png? (As Long as both CD's are stored in saparate Folders no problem a guess, but what if a user got all Tracks from this double Album in one Folder? (I personaly use always subfolders for double albums "Music/Artist/Album/CD1/Track1CD1.ext", but not shure if everyone does it that way. i saw also users who reccomend to put CD1 and CD2 in one Folder.)
  They can be saved as "discart1" for disc 1, "discart2" for disc 2, and so on in the main album folder.

(2018-05-17, 18:16)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: I personaly would still prefere a extrafanart Folder for Extrafanarts (Music and Video) even if the Artistfolders got alredy subfolders (Albums), i personaly would prefere a extrafanart Folder to have cosistenty to the Video Library + a not to messed up Artist Folder.

The PR for the video library behaves the same way, so they are consistent in that "extrafanart" directories aren't supported in Kodi core. Is an Artist Folder really messed up if it has a "fanart1.jpg" to go along with "clearlogo.png" and a "fanart2.jpg" to replace the "extrafanart" folder? Why are a few more fanart a mess when adding "landscape.jpg" and "clearart.png" into the folder aren't? From my perspective it's a mess that we haven't been able to say "All artwork added in the library is saved to filenames that match the art type exactly as skins access them" for several years and now we're cleaning that up.

(2018-05-17, 18:16)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: i always like Folder structures with a god overview so i can also manualy delete or change Artwork.
Movies/Artwork/Alien Anthology/AlienAnthology-fanart.jpg"?

may use the satname to prefix? even if it is in its own Folder?

"AlienAnthology-fanart.jpg" instead of just "fanart.jpg" 
  Why duplicate the set name? One con is that if the set is ever renamed then it is another step to rename all the files inside of the folder. Why remove the spaces from one of them?
(2018-05-18, 01:42)rmrector Wrote: The PR for the video library behaves the same way, so they are consistent in that "extrafanart" directories aren't supported in Kodi core. Is an Artist Folder really messed up if it has a "fanart1.jpg" to go along with "clearlogo.png" and a "fanart2.jpg" to replace the "extrafanart" folder? Why are a few more fanart a mess when adding "landscape.jpg" and "clearart.png" into the folder aren't? From my perspective it's a mess that we haven't been able to say "All artwork added in the library is saved to filenames that match the art type exactly as skins access them" for several years and now we're cleaning that up.
O.K. but if there are 10 or 15 extrafanart beside the File it gets from my point of view a bit unclear/messy, maybe its just that im used to, to have all extrafanart in a extra Folder. Guess its easyer to scan recursively for Kodi, than to create a additional Folder.
Guess at the End its Bikeshadding, so, not that important.
Its great to have a "easy" way to manage and include Extra Art.

(2018-05-18, 01:42)rmrector Wrote: Why duplicate the set name? One con is that if the set is ever renamed then it is another step to rename all the files inside of the folder. Why remove the spaces from one of them?
Jer ur Right, the Idea was just to have a prefix cause the usual Fanart got the Filename as prefix. (consistency), but as Sets are a special case anyway, guess totaly o.k. that way.!

Lil request (if allowd):
Could we get the Setplot from TMDB as well?

And a Question as well (if allowd):
Does all Extra Art (Including the set ones) need whitelabeling in the advancedsettings.xml?
Just curious, b cause wondering what may is easyer at the End; tell the User to create a advancedsettings.xml, or offer a way to download Extraart via Artworkbeef Addon..

Will Kodi recognise the existent Artwork in the Filestructure, no mather which Addon or Scraper did place it there? Will this need a Library rescan? (sry. didnt read in to that so far.)
@Rantanplan-1 Thanks. This will be the primary way of storing images, but I haven't 100% ruled out the idea of Kodi core also supporting a more general take on "extrafanart" that will work for other art types, so details from another perspective are helpful.

Kodi does support a set overview (it's new in Leia I think). Skins need to be updated to display it, and to scrape an overview for sets already in the library you have to remove the set and refresh each movie in it (or at least one movie and then add the other movies back to the set).

All extra art will need to be whitelisted in AS.xml, including each exact name for multiple artwork like "fanart1". The configuration of the whitelist may change, this is just the first implementation to get the new feature working and in front of other eyes. Movie set artwork still isn't supported in Kodi core with this PR, that's a couple of steps off yet.

As long as the add-on or other tool names the files correctly, Kodi core will find them. The items in the library will need to be refreshed to pick up changes to image files or the whitelist, as is currently necessary for changes to the NFO file or newly added poster/fanart.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RFC: Extended artwork type naming0