• 231(current)
v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)
(2018-05-20, 15:31)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 15:08)TimoJ Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 14:32)fritsch Wrote:  Depends on many things: hw decoder, Xorg color setting and so on ...     
Is it possible to use xorg.conf to enable limited range with Intel graphics? I found messages that indicate it's not available for Intel.

I tried command line with xrand and it worked, now GUI is at the correct brightness (I hope...). I just haven't got it to work inside autostart.sh, not sure why it's not working.

But now I'm confused why I need to use xrand to get the correct brightness. Why there is no LibreELEC GUI setting for it? Kodi's setting effect only Kodi's part, not the underlying Xorg parts? Or am I missing something?   
 Please check kodi's wiki. I documented this some years ago, cause it is not trivial. In short only  the following settings make sense:

1) Xorg Full + Kodi Limited + TV Limited
2) Xorg Limited 16:235 (this scales(!)) + Kodi Full + TV Limited
3) Xorg Full + Kodi Full + TV Full  
Thanks, I'll check the Wiki. I think you mean this page: https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space
Looks like xrand limited is not the correct one, picture loses contrast or something. I think my TV is fixed to limited, there is no setting for it.
(2018-05-20, 15:49)TimoJ Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 15:31)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 15:08)TimoJ Wrote: Is it possible to use xorg.conf to enable limited range with Intel graphics? I found messages that indicate it's not available for Intel.

I tried command line with xrand and it worked, now GUI is at the correct brightness (I hope...). I just haven't got it to work inside autostart.sh, not sure why it's not working.

But now I'm confused why I need to use xrand to get the correct brightness. Why there is no LibreELEC GUI setting for it? Kodi's setting effect only Kodi's part, not the underlying Xorg parts? Or am I missing something?   
 Please check kodi's wiki. I documented this some years ago, cause it is not trivial. In short only  the following settings make sense:

1) Xorg Full + Kodi Limited + TV Limited
2) Xorg Limited 16:235 (this scales(!)) + Kodi Full + TV Limited
3) Xorg Full + Kodi Full + TV Full   
Thanks, I'll check the Wiki. I think you mean this page: https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space
Looks like xrand limited is not the correct one, picture loses contrast or something. I think my TV is fixed to limited, there is no setting for it. 
 Intel's Limited is assuming Full input and scales it down byself - that's why it calls: Limited 16:235 ... if you use this mode, make sure to use kodi in Full.

If your TV is fixed to Limited, the only that makes sense for you then is:
1) Xrandr to full and kodi to limited
2) xrandr to 16:235 Limited and kodi to full
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
But still the original issue remains, if I use this: "Xorg Full + Kodi Limited + TV Limited" the user interface is too dark. It's correct if I don't select limited range. Still video playback of black levels is correct with limited range selected. Is it possible to adjust just user interface brightness?
(2018-05-20, 16:19)TimoJ Wrote: But still the original issue remains, if I use this: "Xorg Full + Kodi Limited + TV Limited" the user interface is too dark. It's correct if I don't select limited range. Still video playback of black levels is correct with limited range selected. Is it possible to adjust just user interface brightness?
 No.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-05-20, 16:23)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 16:19)TimoJ Wrote: But still the original issue remains, if I use this: "Xorg Full + Kodi Limited + TV Limited" the user interface is too dark. It's correct if I don't select limited range. Still video playback of black levels is correct with limited range selected. Is it possible to adjust just user interface brightness?
 No.    
Are skin graphics and colors correctly converter when limited range is used? Looks like if I manually edit graphic files to black = 16, then the skin starts to look normal again, only thumbnails are still too dark.
I didn't have this problem originally in Kodi, it started sometime last year. There were other posts about it during that time, I think the problem was never fixed (and not seen by all).
(2018-05-20, 16:57)TimoJ Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 16:23)fritsch Wrote:
 No.     
Are skin graphics and colors correctly converter when limited range is used? Looks like if I manually edit graphic files to black = 16, then the skin starts to look normal again, only thumbnails are still too dark.
I didn't have this problem originally in Kodi, it started sometime last year. There were other posts about it during that time, I think the problem was never fixed (and not seen by all). 
 That's odd - cause the gui shader does this conversion already. Make sure if you toy with dirtyregion stuff, most of them make no sense anyways. When debugging such issue make sure that the complte viewport is always repainted - which is the default DR mode.If you want to save power use <gui><smartredraw>true</smartredraw></gui> instead
(2018-05-20, 17:00)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 16:57)TimoJ Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 16:23)fritsch Wrote:  No.     
 That's odd - cause the gui shader does this conversion already. Make sure if you toy with dirtyregion stuff, most of them make no sense anyways. When debugging such issue make sure that the complte viewport is always repainted - which is the default DR mode.If you want to save power use <gui><smartredraw>true</smartredraw></gui> instead 
I removed that dr-setting, so it's default. But when I enable limited range, shouldn't the interface go brighter? Now it goes darker. It's like gui shader is converting the levels to a wrong direction. Or something, I'm not a programmer...
(2018-05-20, 17:12)TimoJ Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 17:00)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 16:57)TimoJ Wrote: Are skin graphics and colors correctly converter when limited range is used? Looks like if I manually edit graphic files to black = 16, then the skin starts to look normal again, only thumbnails are still too dark.
I removed that dr-setting, so it's default. But when I enable limited range, shouldn't the interface go brighter? Now it goes darker. It's like gui shader is converting the levels to a wrong direction. Or something, I'm not a programmer... 
 As I explained before - this setting only makes sense in combination (xrandr, TV) setting. Think what would happen if TV is limited, xrandr is Full (remember: kodi set to limited with driver set to limited makes no sense at all): then with kodi on full kodi would assume black is 0 and white is 255, means if your tv just cuts them out, you neither have blacks nor whites -> washed out completely. Now if you enable Use Limited, kodi sends 16 as black and 235 as white -> perfect picture.

Test it with a gray ramp to see what I mean.
I have Afedchen's Excellent MVC WIP build on my Windows 10 Intel Apollo Lake 3450, hardware MVC 3D plays fine.

In Libreelec latest Milhouse build, I see that in the 3D options you can select HARDWARE, but 3D does not kick in when a 3D MKV is played, is this supposed to be a supported feature?

Thanks
(2018-05-20, 17:28)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 17:12)TimoJ Wrote:
(2018-05-20, 17:00)fritsch Wrote:  That's odd - cause the gui shader does this conversion already. Make sure if you toy with dirtyregion stuff, most of them make no sense anyways. When debugging such issue make sure that the complte viewport is always repainted - which is the default DR mode.If you want to save power use <gui><smartredraw>true</smartredraw></gui> instead  
 As I explained before - this setting only makes sense in combination (xrandr, TV) setting. Think what would happen if TV is limited, xrandr is Full (remember: kodi set to limited with driver set to limited makes no sense at all): then with kodi on full kodi would assume black is 0 and white is 255, means if your tv just cuts them out, you neither have blacks nor whites -> washed out completely. Now if you enable Use Limited, kodi sends 16 as black and 235 as white -> perfect picture.

Test it with a gray ramp to see what I mean.     
But it doesn't seem to do that for the user interface, only for the video content. For the user interface it seems to send black as 0.
So I have to raise TV brightness to compensate this and also adjust Kodi's video brightness to a lower value to compensate raised TV brightness. And now my other videosources connected via the same input thru my AVR have too much brightness.

I watched a greyscale test card picture (jpg) and with Kodi set to full range 16 was black and with Kodi set to limited range 20 was black. Surely it shouldn't be this way? TV limited and xrand full.
Or maybe I'm just too dense to understand this, I'll have to think about this.. Wink
That makes sense, depending on your original input: I hope you tested with a picture. With kodi set to Full - the original value should come out - means if you have a full range RGB grey ramp: Black is 0. If your Black is already 16 - then it's clear that it gets 20 when you additionally enable Use Limited. Cause the 16 in full range is a dark grey, so in Limited it needs to be 20, cause if it was 16 there as well the original dark grey would now be black -> not what we want.

^^ This is true for pictures in full range. For Video (especially hw decoded ones) it's different.
(2018-05-20, 18:35)fritsch Wrote: That makes sense, depending on your original input: I hope you tested with a picture. With kodi set to Full - the original value should come out - means if you have a full range RGB grey ramp: Black is 0. If your Black is already 16 - then it's clear that it gets 20 when you additionally enable Use Limited. Cause the 16 in full range is a dark grey, so in Limited it needs to be 20, cause if it was 16 there as well the original dark grey would now be black -> not what we want.

^^ This is true for pictures in full range. For Video (especially hw decoded ones) it's different.
 It was a full range picture, you can get it from here: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/se...mg1024.gif
I still think it's not shown correctly. Kodi GUI in limited mode is not mapping full range 16 to 20, it's mapping it to a lower than 16 value and makes it invisible.
Just a quick question. Is HDR working with libreelec and newer Intel NUCs?
Living Room: ASRock J3455 , 8GB RAM, Sandisk SSD 120GB, LibreELEC Testbuild,- Pioneer VSX-930 - Sony KD-65XD7505
Test HDR Setup: Bqeel M9Cmax (S905X 2GB RAM, 16G Flash) LibreElec HDR 10Bit Build Test6 from johngalt
R.I.P. DAD: 17.06.1952 - 21.01.2017
Verified it - something is broken. With Use Limited i properly get ~ 219 at maximum, but it seems the low values stay where they are ...

Edit: That means we are shifting 16 in the wrong direction, should be between +16 and + 235 and not 0 and 219
New LibreELEC.tv Leia build #0520: Generic
(Supercedes previous build)

SHA256 Checksum: 15ccb68d8995a9ae52f5b4aee5677c29c43bad695d41a2c8ef3ac0ea3e3755ee (Generic)

text:
# uname -a
Linux NUC 4.14.41 #1 SMP Sun May 20 21:06:27 BST 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse): devel-20180520210312-#0520-g6a26f5d [Build #0520]

# Kodi version
(18.0-ALPHA2 Git:5afb532). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (6a26f5d, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (f0e5a25, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Resolution: Allow deviation of max 0.01 instead of 0.005
  2. [curl] add url option to disable peer verification
  3. Media source dialog tidyup
Build Details:
  1. LibreELEC.tv:
    • RPi, Generic: fix erratic IR timeout behaviour on Topseed mceusb receiver 1784:0011 (PR:2692, 2 commits, 2 files changed)
    • Generic: allow lower IR timeouts on ITE CIR devices (PR:2694, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • rust: rework (PR:2709, 2 commits, 2 files changed)
    • addon/librespot: Update to 431be (#2712) (2820ec6)
  2. XBMC:
    • Resolution: Allow deviation of max 0.01 instead of 0.005 (PR:13908, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  3. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Added: [pkg] PR:13909 (perma): [curl] add url option to disable peer verification
    • Added: [pkg] PR:13910 (perma): Media source dialog tidyup
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
  • 231(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)24