• 3(current)
Solved v18 - [Windows] Hardware accelerated playback is choppy unless an overlay is present
(2018-05-26, 15:01)beeswax Wrote: Hi fritsch, no its nothing to do with the TV, I'm very familiar with my set and I can discern motion interpolation related stutter from anything else.  That, and the fact that the video debug OSD shows 150+ dropped frames within a 60 second test clip Smile

24p playback is absolutely fine on the TV outside of Kodi 18.  It's fine on Krypton and it's fine in MPC-HC/MadVR.
Exactly the same for me!
Dropped frames until osd on.
With v17 and outside kodi dxva is ok.
(2018-05-26, 15:31)beeswax Wrote: @fritsch Made a couple of videos for you showing how this looks at my end.  Here is a clip running on the monitor at 60Hz, with the player OSD showing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTDv6pf...sp=sharing

and here is the same clip on the TV, with refresh rate switching enabled at 24Hz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IQdLahN...sp=sharing

This is not limited to VC-1, I can produce the same level of stutter and drops with H.264 content.#

edit: I reverted one of the NUCs to Win10 1709 and tested - as long as I have the Ctrl-Shift-O OSD on, almost no frames get dropped/skipped.  With the OSD off however, there doesn't seem to be much improvement.
I am just testing with h264 content rather than vc1.
(2018-05-26, 16:04)fritsch Wrote: The Debug Log is much more important as it shows hurry and lateness ..
Pleas look into the ticket, the latest two logs from yesterday are with the latest build and one time with the issue and refresh rate change and one time without the refresh rate change.
(2018-05-26, 19:06)popy Wrote:
(2018-05-26, 16:04)fritsch Wrote: The Debug Log is much more important as it shows hurry and lateness ..
Pleas look into the ticket, the latest two logs from yesterday are with the latest build and one time with the issue and refresh rate change and one time without the refresh rate change. 
 Good - then let's stop discussion here and only focus on the ticket to not open to working paths ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-05-26, 19:14)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-26, 19:06)popy Wrote:
 Good - then let's stop discussion here and only focus on the ticket to not open to working paths ...
Ok, posting in the ticket from now on.
(2018-05-26, 15:31)beeswax Wrote: @fritsch Made a couple of videos for you showing how this looks at my end.  Here is a clip running on the monitor at 60Hz, with the player OSD showing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTDv6pf...sp=sharing

and here is the same clip on the TV, with refresh rate switching enabled at 24Hz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IQdLahN...sp=sharing

This is not limited to VC-1, I can produce the same level of stutter and drops with H.264 content.#

edit: I reverted one of the NUCs to Win10 1709 and tested - as long as I have the Ctrl-Shift-O OSD on, almost no frames get dropped/skipped.  With the OSD off however, there doesn't seem to be much improvement.
Can you please also make two debug logs and post it in the ticket, thx
This issue seams fixed for 1080p and 720p Mkv files and TV streams from my Ceton 6 tuner card via ServerWMC for the May 27th nightly! Thank you so much for resolving this bug, devs! I am running with DXVA2 on via my R9 270 graphics, windows 7 x64 HTPC.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows...er-x64.exe
(2018-05-29, 02:16)JoshDi Wrote: This issue seams fixed for 1080p and 720p Mkv files and TV streams from my Ceton 6 tuner card via ServerWMC for the May 27th nightly! Thank you so much for resolving this bug, devs! I am running with DXVA2 on via my R9 270 graphics, windows 7 x64 HTPC.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows...er-x64.exe
Do you use refresh rate change option on an TV with white listed resolutions?

Thx
Sync to display is on, but change display resolution is set to off. I run kodi at 1080p and white listed 1080p @60hz and 59hz
That combination are known to work. When you switch sync to display of, enable refresh rate, Whitelist 1080p with 23,98 hz 24 hz and play an 24hz MKV, the stutter is back. Can you please confirm and if so, make a debug log of the stutter and post it in the ticket or here.

Thx
(2018-05-29, 06:37)popy Wrote: That combination are known to work. When you switch sync to display of, enable refresh rate, Whitelist 1080p with 23,98 hz 24 hz and play an 24hz MKV, the stutter is back. Can you please confirm and if so, make a debug log of the stutter and post it in the ticket or here.

Thx
 You are using crap from NVidia, right? I don't think NVIdia has fixed the 23.976 bug (all plattforms affected). NVidia crap was known not to switch to 23.976 but 23.971. Search the web for this bug or get yourself some decent hardware.
(2018-05-29, 09:52)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-05-29, 06:37)popy Wrote: That combination are known to work. When you switch sync to display of, enable refresh rate, Whitelist 1080p with 23,98 hz 24 hz and play an 24hz MKV, the stutter is back. Can you please confirm and if so, make a debug log of the stutter and post it in the ticket or here.

Thx
 You are using crap from NVidia, right? I don't think NVIdia has fixed the 23.976 bug (all plattforms affected). NVidia crap was known not to switch to 23.976 but 23.971. Search the web for this bug or get yourself some decent hardware. 
 How did we get onto blaming Nvidia for this?  I don't get it.  I can use Nvidia hardware acceleration in Kodi 17.6 and MPC-HC/MadVR at 24Hz without issue, only Kodi 18 has this problem.
(2018-05-29, 10:49)beeswax Wrote:

Thx
 How did we get onto blaming Nvidia for this?  I don't get it.  I can use Nvidia hardware acceleration in Kodi 17.6 and MPC-HC/MadVR at 24Hz without issue, only Kodi 18 has this problem. 
 If others better "workaround" that won't change the original bug. Though - from latest Linux output of nvidia cards it seems they get better. This is not true for older cards. Just last week we found an LE user with older GPU that exactly had 23.971 hz ... instead of a proper one. Syncing against that will cause issues every some seconds.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-05-29, 12:13)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-05-29, 10:49)beeswax Wrote:
(2018-05-29, 09:52)FernetMenta Wrote:  You are using crap from NVidia, right? I don't think NVIdia has fixed the 23.976 bug (all plattforms affected). NVidia crap was known not to switch to 23.976 but 23.971. Search the web for this bug or get yourself some decent hardware.  
 If others better "workaround" that won't change the original bug. Though - from latest Linux output of nvidia cards it seems they get better. This is not true for older cards. Just last week we found an LE user with older GPU that exactly had 23.971 hz ... instead of a proper one. Syncing against that will cause issues every some seconds.    

Thx
@FernetMenta you are right, i am using two brand new NVIDA "MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC 2GB", have bought them extra too decode 4K (not needed currently until ill swap out my tv).
They worked like a charm in kodi v17 WITH dxva & other players, like @beeswax already mentioned. Also ill think the difference between 23.976 but 23.971 are so marginal, so it would stutter (drop frame) every few seconds (like @fritsch mentioned) and not like in our case, hundreds of dropped frames (=unwatchable) in minutes.

I am a c/c++ developer my self (sadly no windows dxva knowledge) and know how hard it is to solve an issue just from logs or by debugging with other users.
So here is my question: is it possible to activate/reinstall your windows maschine (you have stated that it died recently)?
Or i can borow you that crappy nvidia card, if that helps.

Another question, what do you mean with decent hardware?
Isn't a 1030 enought for 1080p playback  Blush
Any recommendations for better DXVA playback without swapping out my complete Mobo, RAM, CPU?

thx
pOpY
can you share a file you would like me to test? I dont have any with that refresh rate handy. Thanks
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v18 - [Windows] Hardware accelerated playback is choppy unless an overlay is present0