• 18(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
One last question and I suspect I'll be ordering today:
  • Is the cable that ships with the Vero 4K an hdmi 2.0 (or high speed I guess) cable and does it support CEC?
Found conflicting/inconclusive reports/posts on the OSMC board.
Just want to know if I should order a new 2.0 cable after I order the Vero.

EDIT: Ordered it today! New toy FTW!

Thanks!
The cable included is a short (0,8M) starter cable. It should do HDR and CEC fine. 
If you need a longer run, you'll obviously need a different cable.

We've had a couple of cables that didn't perform in the past, but that was isolated. We include the cable to avoid a toys without batteries like situation.

Sam
Hi ,

I really enjoying Vero 4K. For me it is really better then Nvidia shield TV then we talk about pure KODI.  Always great support from OSMC teem.

I have such question regarding: Mini Review by @wrxtasy - Updated 10th March 2018.  There is such sentence : - •24bit FLAC audio untested. It's very likely resampled 16bit output like all other AMLogic Linux based media players.

Need more info here. Like example stereo FLAC file 24bit/192kHz (PCM)
When we talk about :
  1.  Through SPDF optical output can we get 24bit from Vero 4K? 
  2. Through HDMI output can we get 24bit? from Vero 4K?

Receiver confirms that it is really  like example 96 kHz  or 192kHz sample rate, but when we talk about bit depths it is not clear : is it 16bit or 24bit...

What is possibility to check bit depths output on vero 4K ?
Use your ears :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-06-11, 15:57)ariux Wrote: Receiver confirms that it is really  like example 96 kHz  or 192kHz sample rate, but when we talk about bit depths it is not clear : is it 16bit or 24bit...
All Amlogic devices are limited to 16-bit output. An HDMI analyzer or a HDFury Vertex will show you the maximum word length (bit depth) set in the Channel Status Bits of the HDMI signal. 24-bit doesn't necessarily mean that the output is indeed 24-bit, but if these bits are set to 16-bit (max word length-20), then 24-bit output is completely ruled out and that is what you would see with Amlogic devices.

I have a post somewhere on LibreELEC forums on this topic. I recorded the HDMI output at 24-bit depth and then analyzed the real bit-depth of the output. It is only 16-bit for Amlogic devices.
(2018-06-11, 20:02)fritsch Wrote: Use your ears :-)
Yes, this is the cheaper way to test the audio bit depth and sampling rate.
(2018-06-12, 00:20)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-06-11, 15:57)ariux Wrote: Receiver confirms that it is really  like example 96 kHz  or 192kHz sample rate, but when we talk about bit depths it is not clear : is it 16bit or 24bit...
All Amlogic devices are limited to 16-bit output. An HDMI analyzer or a HDFury Vertex will show you the maximum word length (bit depth) set in the Channel Status Bits of the HDMI signal. 24-bit doesn't necessarily mean that the output is indeed 24-bit, but these bits are set to 16-bit, 24-bit output is completely ruled out and that is what you would see with Amlogic devices.

I have a post somewhere on LibreELEC forums on this topic. I recorded the HDMI output at 24-bit depth and then analyzed the real bit-depth of the output. It is only 16-bit for Amlogic devices.
(2018-06-11, 20:02)fritsch Wrote: Use your ears :-)
Yes, this is the cheaper way to test the audio bit depth and sampling rate. 
 So presumably whilst Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio output WILL be 24 bit from these devices if bitstreamed, PCM is limited to 16 bit - so on-board decoding of 24-bit FLAC stuff will be limited to 16-bit output?
(2018-06-13, 01:39)noggin Wrote: So presumably whilst Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio output WILL be 24 bit from these devices if bitstreamed, PCM is limited to 16 bit - so on-board decoding of 24-bit FLAC stuff will be limited to 16-bit output? 
Yes, that's correct. Not all Dolby TrueHD tracks on Blu-rays are 24-bit. Also, those tracks that are 24-bit may actually be encoded from 16-bit PCM disguised as 24-bit. The other day I was checking Pirates of the Caribbean movies that have 24-bit LPCM and it turns out that those tracks only have 16 effective bits!
For the Vero4k owners here, what's your goto skin for Kodi?
I reverted to what I know from my HTPC and chose Rapier.
I'm guessing it's a bit heavier skin maybe as when I click on Movies or Tv Shows, it takes about 20 seconds to load and show anything. Not sue if there's a buffer or cache I can increase, but still learning the ropes.
I like the box so far, still tweaking the setup a bit and scanning my library in, hoping I can get it optimised and a bit snappier, but so far it's ok.
Working on a file transfer issue across the network over on the OSMC forums but overall, not bad so far.
I assume you're using a library mode.

20 seconds to show something sounds slow. Is Vero 4K perhaps having to wait for a NAS which has drives that have spun down?
We'd need to know a bit more about your setup to advise.

Sam
I thought so too.
Three 4 bay hard drive enclosures attached via powered USB3 hub, so no network or NAS involved.
(2018-06-18, 17:59)Temujin Wrote: For the Vero4k owners here, what's your goto skin for Kodi?
I'm guessing it's a bit heavier skin maybe as when I click on Movies or Tv Shows, it takes about 20 seconds to load and show anything. Not sue if there's a buffer or cache I can increase, but still learning the ropes.
I like the box so far, still tweaking the setup a bit and scanning my library in, hoping I can get it optimised and a bit snappier, but so far it's ok.
Working on a file transfer issue across the network over on the OSMC forums but overall, not bad so far.
I use Rapier as well. If you'd like something a bit quicker give Bello a try.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
First thing to check is if skin affects the speed (I don't think it will).
Do videos start quickly, i.e. is the problem just when browsing?

Make sure your GUI is set to 1080p under Settings -> Display.
(2018-06-18, 18:45)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: First thing to check is if skin affects the speed (I don't think it will).
Do videos start quickly, i.e. is the problem just when browsing?

Make sure your GUI is set to 1080p under Settings -> Display.
Got it, thanks, Sam. I have a 4K tv so had resolution set to 3840*2160p might that be part of the issue and I should set it back to 1920*1080p? 
Will also try another skin to be sure as well.
Have also grabbed logs and will clean them up a bit and submit over on the osmc forums and not bog everyone down here with my n00bness Smile
Some skins are faster than others at displaying the library lists. I use Rapier though it's rather slow. Bello and the default OSMC skin are faster.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
(2018-06-18, 17:59)Temujin Wrote: For the Vero4k owners here, what's your goto skin for Kodi?
 Aeon Nox Silvo works wonderfully well. For my needs any way.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4