• 121(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
(2018-03-13, 10:08)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: J4205-ITX users, watch out for BIOS upgrade via windows. Just bricked my board after successful update first to 1.50 via Windows, but then update to 1.60 resulted in bricked board.
There is currently no solution to get the board working after 1.60 via Windows update. Some are saying that update viaBIOS utility works but i would stay away for now ...
 Guys, where did you get 1.50 and 1.60 anyway? The website now only shows 1.40. Or is it that they withdrew the 1.50 and 1.60 because of the problems with bricking?

Edit: ok, found them here: ftp://asrock.cn/BIOS/CPU/
So which method is known to brick it and which method is supposedly safe? I'm on 1.40 atm. Thx.
i'm now on 1.60 and it works OK, needed to buy flash programmer and SOIC adapter to rescue my board.
Anyhow as long as you don't use Win for flashing you should be safe. Have the BIOS file on C: and use Instant Flash
First 1.50 before you do 1.60 , don't go 1.60 directly.
Yep. I used instant flash directly from Asrock UEFI interface to get to 1.50 and then to 1.60 and it worked out well.
I checked in ... and the KDE NEON Based on UBUNTU 16.04. Here everything is smooth. There are no friezes in the interface of the kodi.
So that in LE is no optimization. Will there ever be an optimization for these processors in LE?
why don't you try https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 , fritsch has the J4205-ITX and he seems happy with Kodi Leia under Ubuntu server. I'm going to try it when i have some time, but my Win10 J4205-ITX config is working fine as well. Aslo some of the Milhouse LE version worked fine but some were unstable. Try some of the latest from here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462
Freezes are also result if you have adjust refresh rate to "always" should be only on start/stop
(2018-06-19, 18:36)blackride Wrote: I checked in ... and the KDE NEON Based on UBUNTU 16.04. Here everything is smooth. There are no friezes in the interface of the kodi.
So that in LE is no optimization. Will there ever be an optimization for these processors in LE?
 This is utter bullshit.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-06-19, 20:40)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 18:36)blackride Wrote: I checked in ... and the KDE NEON Based on UBUNTU 16.04. Here everything is smooth. There are no friezes in the interface of the kodi.
 This is utter bullshit. 
You do not like my post? What is the problem? Or you do not have friezes on these processors?
(2018-06-22, 13:47)blackride Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 20:40)fritsch Wrote:
 This is utter bullshit.  
You do not like my post? What is the problem? Or you do not have friezes on these processors? 

fritsch is one of the Intel Linux experts here. He has done a LOT of work on this stuff.
(2018-06-22, 14:39)noggin Wrote:
(2018-06-22, 13:47)blackride Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 20:40)fritsch Wrote:  This is utter bullshit.  

fritsch is one of the Intel Linux experts here. He has done a LOT of work on this stuff.  
You do not need to be an expert to notice friezes. In the Libreelec is no optimization.
With 50hz menu (no fps change necessary for live TV) the menu navigation stutters at my j4205, with 60hz less.
My biggest problem still with Apollo lake is my aspect ratio error while using lspcon hdmi.
Something must have gone wrong while the lspcon updates, because I don't get it solved and noone else seems to have the problem. To realize it, just skip between the pictures.

I will link my post here.

Edit
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid...pid2742668
If not yet in LE, try:
Quote:Section "Device"
  Identifier "Device0"
  Driver "intel"
  VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

in /storage/.config/xorg.conf

Concerning the aspect ratio, this fully looks like the TV is sending aspect pixel ratio not being 1:1 - Xorg.0.log will tell that. This is most often the case if TV "thinks" to do underscan ...

Btw. I run kodi in 1080p50 as the Apollo Lake overheats quite well if I upscale my SD-TV (576i50) to 3840x2160. I only use kodi in 4k when movie is 4k and let kodi automatically upswitch.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
xorg.log:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/57nBTYtFrZ/
with lspcon HDMI.

I do now modify the xorg.conf and reboot
Ou I love you guys :-) menu is smooth now.

Edit ... nope. I don't think it makes sense but for me menu is smooth over HDMI but not over DVI.....I doubt on my selfe....

Edit edit. Works again. Might have been connected to the fact that I did not accept the resolution after changing from hdmi to DVI. I made the picture set-up I always have to do after changing output, then rebooted, then it worked.

Aspect ratio is screwed on projector and on TV, both fhd.
Switching back to DVI, everything is fine.
Post xrandr --verbose with the screwed aspect ratio. Make triple sure that your TV is set to fixed or just scan whatever it is. 16:9 might not work as of above reason!
(2018-06-22, 21:09)fritsch Wrote: If not yet in LE, try:
Quote:Section "Device"
  Identifier "Device0"
  Driver "intel"
  VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

in /storage/.config/xorg.conf

I changed parameter DRI to 2. And I set the frequency to 50 Hz. Became better, but not perfect. Ideal only in windows_10/kde_neon.

How to make perfect?
  • 121(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9