I have run through the instructions and FAQ's

This is an Asus CN62
I have a dual boot setup (I think)
I created the Recovery USB stick
I powered up the box with the recovery button depressed
I was presentedd with the screen "Chrome OS is mssing"
I input the USB stick Nothing happens

So, then I figured I had to run the E-Z Script
But when I tried to Power and hit CTRL + ALT +  left arrow (F2),  no command prompt is offered

What am i missing... i am into my 3rd hour of trying to solve this ?

:-)
(2018-07-13, 20:14)fishypops Wrote: I have run through the instructions and FAQ's

This is an Asus CN62
I have a dual boot setup (I think)
I created the Recovery USB stick
I powered up the box with the recovery button depressed
I was presentedd with the screen "Chrome OS is mssing"
I input the USB stick Nothing happens

so use a different port/USB stick/SD card -- Recovery Mode can be picky about the media used.

Quote:So, then I figured I had to run the E-Z Script
But when I tried to Power and hit CTRL + ALT +  left arrow (F2),  no command prompt is offered

What am i missing... i am into my 3rd hour of trying to solve this ?

:-)

no need to run the EZ Setup Script until you've completed ChromeOS Recovery, and only then if you need to reset the firmware boot flags in order to exit developer mode. CTRL+ALT+F2 only works once you've booted ChromeOS.
Yep !! You of course were right.  Changing USB devices worked. 

Having now reinstalled the ChromeOS,  how do I get the system to boot directly into Chrome  for Wife Acceptance Factor ?
(2018-07-13, 21:22)fishypops Wrote: Yep !! You of course were right.  Changing USB devices worked. 

Having now reinstalled the ChromeOS,  how do I get the system to boot directly into Chrome  for Wife Acceptance Factor ?
use the EZ Setup Script to set the boot options back to ChromeOS default. If you're just using as ChromeOS device, then reset to factory defaults and exit Developer mode on reboot
Is there anyway I can set up a test install? I can install libreelec to a usb stick instead of the internal hhd, but cant get it to boot it. It always boost to the internal hdd. I wanna do this so I can make changes to a test version of libreelec before copying them over to my real install of libreelec on my Chromebox? How would I make this usb stick bootable?

Also, on the wiki page the HP IR receiver model 5070-2584 is marked as broken/non-working but it works great on libreelec with the standard remote and a custom remote.
what firmware/setup are you running? Is the usb stick ignored, or simply fails to boot?

I'll update the wiki for that IR receiver, thx.
Im running standalone librelec 8.2.5 on the internal SSD on an Asus chromebox. The USB is ignored as its a different size (32GB) compared to the 16GB internal and the skin would be the default kodi skin if booting from the USB stick.
(2018-08-02, 21:14)Davidsilva Wrote: Im running standalone librelec 8.2.5 on the internal SSD on an Asus chromebox. The USB is ignored as its a different size (32GB) compared to the 16GB internal and the skin would be the default kodi skin if booting from the USB stick.
 how did you create the install on the USB stick?  Sounds like the USB is set up for legacy boot and the Chromebox is running UEFI firmware (or vice-versa)
I used the normal Libreelec USB creator tool to make the install media, inserted into the chromebox and it booted from it. I then inserted a second USB stick and picked the install option, It gave me two options, internal SSD or the second USB stick, I picked the second USB stick. I'm gathering it installed as the activity light was flashing and it asked me to remove the install media and reboot when finished. I cant seem to get it to boot from that second USB stick only the internal SSD.
(2018-08-02, 21:39)Davidsilva Wrote: I used the normal Libreelec USB creator tool to make the install media, inserted into the chromebox and it booted from it. I then inserted a second USB stick and picked the install option, It gave me two options, internal SSD or the second USB stick, I picked the second USB stick. I'm gathering it installed as the activity light was flashing and it asked me to remove the install media and reboot when finished. I cant seem to get it to boot from that second USB stick only the internal SSD.
 that should work, so hard to say why it's not.  You can always just use the install media and type 'run' at the boot: prompt, running the install media in persistent live mode.  Or you could try another USB stick, another port, etc.
Ive decided to come away from libreelec and go to ubuntu. Ive followed the guides and I cant seem to get it to boot at all. All tried lubuntu and ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 and all have the same problem. In the FAQ it says Type 'exit' to return to the UEFI settings menu, then select Boot Maintenance Manager. From there, select Boot From File, then navigate to and boot from /EFI/[distro name]/grubx64.efi (where [distro name] will be ubuntu, arch, debian, etc). Once your OS is booted, open a terminal/shell, and type the following (observing case): But I cant have that grubx64.efi I have boot/grub/ no mention of efi. Am I missing a step or doing a step from here?
(2018-08-25, 18:06)Davidsilva Wrote: Ive decided to come away from libreelec and go to ubuntu. Ive followed the guides and I cant seem to get it to boot at all. All tried lubuntu and ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 and all have the same problem. In the FAQ it says Type 'exit' to return to the UEFI settings menu, then select Boot Maintenance Manager. From there, select Boot From File, then navigate to and boot from /EFI/[distro name]/grubx64.efi (where [distro name] will be ubuntu, arch, debian, etc). Once your OS is booted, open a terminal/shell, and type the following (observing case): But I cant have that grubx64.efi I have boot/grub/ no mention of efi. Am I missing a step or doing a step from here?
I can tell which part you are having trouble with - booting the OS post install, or manually copying the bootloader
booting post install, ive tried again with ubuntu 18.04 and there isn't any efi folder withing the boot folder. Ive tried lots of different installs of ubuntu and none of them have efi folder in the boot folder.  there is a a grub folder withing the boot folder. Any help would be great. I should be fine once ive got ubuntu installed and booted up
(2018-08-25, 21:33)Davidsilva Wrote: booting post install, ive tried again with ubuntu 18.04 and there isn't any efi folder withing the boot folder. Ive tried lots of different installs of ubuntu and none of them have efi folder in the boot folder.  there is a a grub folder withing the boot folder. Any help would be great. I should be fine once ive got ubuntu installed and booted up
 I'm not sure where you're getting that you should be looking in the boot folder, that's on a completely different partition.  The boot path is /efi/ubuntu/grub_x64.efi, and it's normally located on the first partition of the internal storage.

Ubuntu 18.04 shouldn't require any post-install steps when installed clean, it didn't here.  If you had another OS installed previously, you might need to manually wipe the partition table using gparted prior to install in order for the installer to properly install grub.
CTRL + D isn’t booting me in to chromos from the boot screen. Must have tried 50 times now with 2 keyboards.

Need to update my bios as my new Panasonic tv won’t display the ChromeBox for some reason.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
  • 523(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37