MBID Shown as Artist Name
(2018-07-14, 11:05)mikeSiLVO Wrote: I would mention it to DaveBlake but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the changes he has done. I think it possibly has do with with GUIInfo changes and/or updates to FFMPEG. For some reason mp3 codec INFOlabel returns mp3float instead of just mp3. Perhaps he can fix but I really do not think his changes had anything to do with it based on me following the commits pushed to the xbmc GitHub page.
No, this will be concerning a totally seperate issue. I have an artist in my library, for whom only the MBID is shown in the "Artists" view. I know the files are tagged properly, so I'm placing my money on it being the length of the artist name being the problem.

Screenshot - Artist View

The artist(s) in question being: "Deep Purple with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Mann". I can't do anything about the length, as that's how it's listed on MusicBrainz. Since it's so long, i'm pretty sure it's maxing out the string length in Kodi, hence the reason why only the MBID is shown.

Dan / Gib.
MBID as artist name is always almost an indication that Kodi has been unable to match up artist names with Musicbrainz id tags. This can happen even when you use Picard particularly where the album has multiple album artists.

(2018-07-14, 11:11)gibxxi Wrote: The artist(s) in question being: "Deep Purple with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Mann". I can't do anything about the length, as that's how it's listed on MusicBrainz. Since it's so long, i'm pretty sure it's maxing out the string length in Kodi, hence the reason why only the MBID is shown.
That is 3 albumartists in one combined string, and I expect that you do have 3 Musicbrainz ids. But I'm betting that your music files for this album are not also tagged with an ALBUMARTISTS tag that allows Kodi to read the individual artist names "Deep Purple", "London Symphony Orchestra", "Paul Mann", and match them to the mbids.

Picard will add an ALBUMARTISTS tag, but sadly does not do it by default (request pending over a year). Instead you need to modiy the script settings (in Picard), found under Options>Options>Advanced>Scripting
Add
$setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%)

I recommend that for all Picard users.
Otherwise for this album you could just add an ALBUMARTISTS (note the "s") tag manually

If that does not solve the issue then let me have the Musicbrainz link for the release in question and I will dig deeper.
It is as posted. The next longest Artist (also a Deep Purple collaboration) in my library is a full 15 characters shorter than the one only showing up via MBID. As previously stated, the albums have been run through MusicBrainz Picard using the ID3 v2.4 (UTF-8) option(s).

I had to redo the whole library only a few days ago, as I ran MediaMonkey on it, assuming their option "Do not update tags when updating details" would preserve my existing ID3 tags (MediaMonkey doesn't support ID3 v2.4 tags). It totally ignored the setting and overwrote all my tags. I was left with some albums having multiple artist MBIDs, but only single "Artist" tags. MediaMonkey isn't aware of custom MusicBrainz tags either, so won't touch them. This weird combo caused Kodi to flat-out CTD to desktop during library scanning, without a Windows Error Report Dialog, every time it came across one of these style albums. So I re-re-tagged the entire lot.

Dan / Gib.
No, no, no. It's listed on MusicBrainz Picard as I've written it. So for all intents and purposes it's a "single" artist. This isn't a case of something like the ";" or "/" seperator being used. The "Artist" MBID for this album will be completely different to "Deep Purple" alone, or that of any of the other two featured artists. I didn't submit the album to MusicBrainz, But if I knew who had submitted the info, i'd be sure and give him a "dry slap" for his stupidity. I'll check the files later and let you know what I see in the tags. I don't have the motivation right at this point in time.
I guess the album in question is "In Concert With the London Symphony Orchestra". 
See https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/3b...b57e508f7d

There are several releases for this release group in Musicbrainz, all tagged slightly differently. Many only have "Deep Purple" as the artist and album artist (with 1 artist mbid) but one has "Deep Purple", "London Symphony Orchestra", and "Paul Mann".  I think you have tagged with https://musicbrainz.org/release/12282474...ce3cc18409 the DVD+CD combo with the 3 album artists credited.

So, like I said above, you need to also add an ALBUMARSITS tag. Re-read the post when you are less tired.

There is no issue with length. You have tags
Album Artist = "Deep Purple with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Mann"
MusicBrainz Release Artist Id = "79491354-3d83-40e3-9d8e-7592d58d790a; 38712b4c-0fd4-4c65-8c7a-45676fecc973; 2d5d223d-2aac-4491-a3c6-c0afb3b5ded3"

Kodi needs
albumartists  = "Deep Purple; London Symphony Orchestra; Paul Mann"
to enable it to match each mbid to individual artists

(That is using the tag display names that Picard uses, and ";" is the way it displays muti-frame tags. In the file itself they are added named and formated as needed for the tag format)

Sounds like MediaMonkey made a right mess. ID3 v2.4 supports multi-frame tags while v2.3 does not. If you ended up with partial Muiscbrainz tags in a file (some MBID tags but not all of them) then that could upset Kodi. But it could have also upset Taglib the tag reader if there was some 2.3 and 2.4 mix, the crashing makes me suspect that was the case.

But please get some sleep first!
(2018-07-14, 12:55)DaveBlake Wrote: I guess the album in question is "In Concert With the London Symphony Orchestra". 
See https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/3b...b57e508f7d

There are several releases for this release group in Musicbrainz, all tagged slightly differently. Many only have "Deep Purple" as the artist and album artist (with 1 artist mbid) but one has "Deep Purple", "London Symphony Orchestra", and "Paul Mann".  I think you have tagged with https://musicbrainz.org/release/12282474...ce3cc18409 the DVD+CD combo with the 3 album artists credited.

So, like I said above, you need to also add an ALBUMARSITS tag. Re-read the post when you are less tired.

There is no issue with length. You have tags
Album Artist = "Deep Purple with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Mann"
MusicBrainz Release Artist Id = "79491354-3d83-40e3-9d8e-7592d58d790a; 38712b4c-0fd4-4c65-8c7a-45676fecc973; 2d5d223d-2aac-4491-a3c6-c0afb3b5ded3"

Kodi needs
albumartists  = "Deep Purple; London Symphony Orchestra; Paul Mann"
to enable it to match each mbid to individual artists

(That is using the tag display names that Picard uses, and ";" is the way it displays muti-frame tags. In the file itself they are added named and formated as needed for the tag format)

Sounds like MediaMonkey made a right mess. ID3 v2.4 supports multi-frame tags while v2.3 does not. If you ended up with partial Muiscbrainz tags in a file (some MBID tags but not all of them) then that could upset Kodi. But it could have also upset Taglib the tag reader if there was some 2.3 and 2.4 mix, the crashing makes me suspect that was the case.

But please get some sleep first!
 Hi @DaveBlake :

Humble climbdown time, lol.

You were right. While I was right in my assumption that the "Artist ID" was a single MBID, the "Release Artist ID" was in fact listing the artists seperately, thus causing the problem. As a test, I removed the 2nd and 3rd MBID's from the release group ID tag, and tested the files in Kodi again, prior to seeing your (quoted) post above. This fixed the appearance of the artist as an MBID only, so that shoots down my theory. Wrong Again! Oh well, at least I got to the bottom of it. Not too arrogant to admit when i'm wrong, so apologies all-round.

I also found another artist with a similar problem, but in reverse. ie: Multiple MBIDs for "Artist ID", but only a single MBID for "Release Artist ID". Would the trick above work on that one too?

Dan / Gib.

EDIT: In Picard, there is no "ALBUMARTISTS" tag, so should I simply edit the existing "ALBUMARTIST" tag with the above information, or create it as a custom tag?
(2018-07-14, 15:40)gibxxi Wrote: EDIT: In Picard, there is no "ALBUMARTISTS" tag, so should I simply edit the existing "ALBUMARTIST" tag with the above information, or create it as a custom tag? 

Like I said in my previous post add $setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%) to the Picard options and let it tag correctly for you.

No, do not change the ALBUMARTIST (note no s) tag, but you can manually add ALBUMARTISTS as a custom tag if you don't want to change the Picard settings. However then you will have to remember to do this whenever albums have multiple album artists.

(2018-07-14, 15:40)gibxxi Wrote: I also found another artist with a similar problem, but in reverse. ie: Multiple MBIDs for "Artist ID", but only a single MBID for "Release Artist ID". Would the trick above work on that one too?
Different numbers of Musicbrainz Artist Ids and Musicbrainz release artist ids is fine, happens lots in classical music but less so in other genres.

Picard by default adds an ARTISTS (note the s) tag that identifies individual artists that may be combined with other words in the ARTIST tag so they can be matched to the mbids in the Musicbrainz Artist Id tag. It is just having multiple album artists and album artist mbids (called Musicbrainz release artist id is Picard), but not having an albumartists tag (with individual names) to decode them that is the issue.
(2018-07-14, 21:03)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 15:40)gibxxi Wrote: EDIT: In Picard, there is no "ALBUMARTISTS" tag, so should I simply edit the existing "ALBUMARTIST" tag with the above information, or create it as a custom tag? 

Like I said in my previous post add $setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%) to the Picard options and let it tag correctly for you.

No, do not change the ALBUMARTIST (note no s) tag, but you can manually add ALBUMARTISTS as a custom tag if you don't want to change the Picard settings. However then you will have to remember to do this whenever albums have multiple album artists.

(2018-07-14, 15:40)gibxxi Wrote: I also found another artist with a similar problem, but in reverse. ie: Multiple MBIDs for "Artist ID", but only a single MBID for "Release Artist ID". Would the trick above work on that one too?
Different numbers of Musicbrainz Artist Ids and Musicbrainz release artist ids is fine, happens lots in classical music but less so in other genres.

Picard by default adds an ARTISTS (note the s) tag that identifies individual artists that may be combined with other words in the ARTIST tag so they can be matched to the mbids in the Musicbrainz Artist Id tag. It is just having multiple album artists and album artist mbids (called Musicbrainz release artist id is Picard), but not having an albumartists tag (with individual names) to decode them that is the issue.   
 Is there the possibility of adding an "$if" statement to the above so that this only gets applied to those albums that require it? I'd rather not have this in all the tracks in my library, just those that have need of it.
Lack of ID3v2.4 writing in MediaMonkey4 is why I use APE tags in MP3.  MM4 does read v2.4 and I don't have a problem of it writing back v2.3 unasked.

scott s.
Yes it does read them, but doesn't write them, as your aware.

TBH, while I like MediaMonkey's UI, and especially the "Tagging Inconsistencies" script, which over the years has fixed many problems for me, i'd simply prefer it if Ventis Media got off their backsides and added ID3 v2.4 writing support.

I won't be adding APE tags to my MP3s as I see that as a hack, and I don't like hacks, but I apprieciate your posting. I'm not all that keen on the work-around DavidBlake has suggested either, but I'm willing to put up with it to avoid MBIDs in my Kodi Artist list (for those albums that fall foul of this condition).

Smile

Dan / Gib.
I don't consider ALBUMARTISTS tag a work around, it is more a defacto standard implementation along with the other mbid tags. How do you expect anything to be able  to separate ALBUMARTIST tags like "Deep Purple with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Mann" into individual artists?  Words like "with" or "conducted" could be part of a band name so can't be assumed to be separators, so a tag that lists the artist names makes lots of sense. Picard does this by default for the ARTIST tag, adding an ARTISTS tag, it is a mistake that it does not do so for albumartists automatically too.

Think of it like this: ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tag are descriptive, they have what you want to see on screen during playback and don't have to have ugly separators like " / ". ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS tag is the list of artists and either comes from a multi-frame tag (v2.4 and Vorbis) that supports separate values or is a string with a standard separator. Do all media players use that, well no not yet, but who cares we have Kodi Smile

And finally if you really, really don't want just one more tag in your music files (tiny compared to the music) then edit the ALBUMARTIST tag to be "Deep Purple / London Symphony Orchestra / Paul Mann" matching the 3 Musicbrainz release artist ids (MUSICBRAINZALBUMARTISTID) tag values.

As for the possibility of adding an "$if" statement to the Picard options so only get albumartists tag when needed, the answer is probably yes (it is a powerful tool) but I a not a Picard expert so don't know the details.
OK, well the issue is only present in two albums out of my entire collection, so it's no big deal at this stage.

I think we can consider the issue fixed since the code did work. I would however warn anyone else reading this thread and say that when using this, keep an eye on the orientation of the order of the artists as listed in the "albumartists" tag, as they do not automatically follow the order of the MBID tags listed elsewhere in the header. Ignoring this can lead to "crossed-over" artists in Kodi, with regards MBIDs referring to the wrong artist. Picard seems to generate the new tag using alphabetical ordering, so it's something to bear in mind when processing albums that require this.

Thanks for your help DavidBlake, sorry I'm so OCD.

Smile

Dan / Gib.
...Oh and on a final note, I did have a go at modifying the statement myself, but it requires identifying the presence of multiple strings in the field (albumartist), and somehow converting that to some form of numerical value so that it can be processed via an "$if" statement. I tried several approaches, none of which worked. So for the time being I've simply put a "$noop( )" round it so that it is effectively commented out. If I notice another problematic album in the future, i'll simply uncomment the line, remove the "$noop( )", re-tag the problematic album, then re-comment it out again afterwards.

If anyone reading this is well versed in Picard scripting, and has a solution, then please PM me.

Regards,

Dan / Gib.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MBID Shown as Artist Name0