Req Single Actors Folder
Don't know. I missed the obvious workaround in the previous question, but I don't see where there is provision for additional actor images. The actor entry in the database is a single entry only. So maybe something like ExtraActors similar to ExtraFanart? Might be bit tough to have multiple movies, TV Shows, Epidodes and Music Videos accessing the same ExtraActors.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-13, 21:18)ivan Wrote: Can anyone tell me what line of code must I put in movie nfo file to tell Kodi "go to ACTORS folder and look there for actors pictures"?

All my movies have nfo file with all information (I dont want to rely on internet connection and I want total control over move informations....so I have nfo file for every movie).
So far I have ".actors" folder in main movie folder with actors pictures - for every movie.
If I can write something in nfo file so I could have ONE actors folder with ALL actors pictures - that would be great Smile

Media companion can do this
So it's been over 5 years since this much needed feature was requested.

Apologies for asking but if anyone has the coding skills and spare time to implement this for Leia providing it's not a big task it would be awesome cheers Smile

Less duplication the better Big Grin
(2018-07-15, 14:12)the_bo Wrote: implement this for Leia
I highly doubt it is going to happen for Leia. Only fixes are occurring at this time on Leia.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
We have a central artist_info and I think it would be smart to do the same thing for actors in movies and tv shows. Here's why:

1. Speed up info dialogues

The overwhelming majority of entries in the "art" table of the "myvideos" db are links to actor thumbs on websites. Every time the info dialogue of a movie, tv show or episode is opened, these thumbs have to be downloaded remotely. They are probably cached for each Kodi installation but it would be better performancewise to have them downloaded locally once, especially when dealing with MySQL installations that serve serveral KODI instances.

2. Save space

I'm not sure what happens when actor thumbs are exported via the media dialogue. Even if the thumbs paths are rewritten to be local, there will be lots of duplicates written for each actor. Using a centralized directory for actor thumbs would avoid that.

Maybe the existing patch for the central artist directory could be used with just a few modifications?
It's not often that a feature request is so long in coming.  I'm adding my request for this feature as well.

Why:

I have 4 10TB drives on my media server.  The first three drives have an actors subdirectory, which is not too bad...   File Structure:  E:\Public 1\Videos\Films\.actors    Size, each one is about 800MB

The 4th drive is for TV shows, and the actors subdirectory is recreated for every show's seasons, and that becomes a lot!    Here's an example:  H:\Public 6\Videos\TV\Defiance\s02\.actors

Of course, those are created and continuously added to when I do an export.  You can imagine that for a show like Grey's Anatomy and 16 seasons, the duplication becomes ridiculous. 

When I run a backup (to a 40 TB backup solution), and a mew actor pic becomes available, I often see it re-written in about 10 or more different places.

While I'm not OCD driven, it does irk me to know that the same file is taking up a space all over the drives for not a good reason.

I'm not a programmer...  I've depended on the great work that has been done by the team, but this looks like something that should be set up in the advancedsettings.xml file.  Something like:

<Actors>
     SingleSub=x:\.actors
</Actors>

IF something like this was in the advancedsettings, THEN if there was an export, AND this was stated in andvancedsettings THEN the actors file would be written there. 

OK?

Please?
I'm another user hoping this 7yr old feature request will be noticed by a talented developer out there in the world looking for a stay at home project during the current pandemic.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I hope the artist information folder is extended to include actors. A separate actors folder will still lead to duplicates because some artists are actors and they often appear on tv shows. A small percentage, yes, but still useful if it can be done.
Meanwhile Kodi Matrix is released. Is this feature request still a request or already implemented? 

If we can have already one single folder for all actor images, please tell me how :-)
+1
Kodi 18.9 / LibreELEC 9.2 / Raspberry Pi
I'd been meaning to post about this myself, so glad someone else bumped it. The worst part is each season of a TV show has its own actors folder, and those images aren't even used. So for a 10 season show you have 11 duplicate images for each actor, 10 of which are not used at all. Or it seems that way because I tried adding an actor thumb to a show by adding it to the season folder they appeared in, refreshed locally and nothing changed. But if you add it to the top level TV show actors folder it will find it. So if nothing else I'd like the export to not export to the season folders, just the TV show folder.
(2021-11-01, 00:56)burcs Wrote: The worst part is each season of a TV show has its own actors folder
You don't need them and can be safely deleted. The actors are read from the TV Show\.actors folder.
The season\.actors folders are a fallback (thought I don't know why it was implemented that way)
My Signature
(2021-11-01, 03:22)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-11-01, 00:56)burcs Wrote: The worst part is each season of a TV show has its own actors folder
You don't need them and can be safely deleted. The actors are read from the TV Show\.actors folder.
The season\.actors folders are a fallback (thought I don't know why it was implemented that way)
Right, but if I add new content then export the new artwork they'll just be right back. I have ~70 shows (some only 1 or 2 episodes) and almost 300 actors folders. So I'd have to manually go through 230 folders and delete them just for them to be right back on the next export.

I get it though, the export function was made long before low storage android devices were even a thing. But it seems like not exporting to the season folder is a simple enough fix.
any signs of a solution for this!? in 2023?

Thanks everyone!
(2023-01-04, 06:59)xnku Wrote: any signs of a solution for this!?
For this feature request? Nope.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Single Actors Folder0