• 95(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2018-07-21, 18:13)clarkss12 Wrote: Is that what you were trying to say??
Nah I'm an idiot I didn't actually look at each box and assumed they were the same with the P variant just being a S912
(2018-07-21, 18:35)komplex Wrote:
(2018-07-21, 18:13)clarkss12 Wrote: Is that what you were trying to say??
Nah I'm an idiot I didn't actually look at each box and assumed they were the same with the P variant just being a S912 
Yes, I had to do a double take also, they used a strange naming convention.  The "P" is an older model, but they chose KM8 without the "P" for their new box.  Mecool keeps raising the bar for these Chinese companies.  If this device is indeed a Google Certified box, it is a real game changer, especially if it supports HDCP 2.x.
Think I'll give this box a try if I can grab one for the promo price Monday, and order a Gigabit LAN USB adapter.
(2018-07-21, 18:44)clarkss12 Wrote: Mecool keeps raising the bar for these Chinese companies.  If this device is indeed a Google Certified box, it is a real game changer, especially if it supports HDCP 2.x.
Be interesting to see if this device is Rootable or locked down like the Mi Box. (Warning do NOT use SuperSU)

Surely it cannot be any worse than the original Oreo Firmware released by the Xiaomi script monkey developers Wink

Haven't we seen this Netflix HD now, 4K coming later advertisement with another product? Did that product ever get Netflix 4K?

For those purchasing this one, check the device certification in Play Store settings and that will give you the definite answer.
(2018-07-21, 18:48)hdmkv Wrote: Think I'll give this box a try if I can grab one for the promo price Monday, and order a Gigabit LAN USB adapter.
 I will be purchasing mine, tomorrow (July 22, 2018) at EXACTLY noon, using this promo code "GBME3".  I DON'T need any more boxes, they are coming out of my ears, can't even give them away anymore.  Also, they won't ship until August 3 at the earliest.
(2018-07-21, 19:07)wesk05 Wrote: Haven't we seen this Netflix HD now, 4K coming later advertisement with another product? Did that product ever get Netflix 4K?

For those purchasing this one, check the device certification in Play Store settings and that will give you the definite answer.
 I have NEVER seen an add showing 4K coming later, for any device.  But, I won't hold my breath for Netflix in 4K on any of these boxes as of today.  How do I use the Play Store settings go check the certificationHuh
(2018-07-21, 19:24)clarkss12 Wrote:  I have NEVER seen an add showing 4K coming later, for any device.  But, I won't hold my breath for Netflix in 4K on any of these boxes as of today.  How do I use the Play Store settings go check the certificationHuh 
I think it was the MeCool M8S Pro + that was advertised as having Netflix 4K. In this thread on Freaktab, you can see your own posts mention Netflix 4K
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...post653595
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...post653123

I checked nVIDIA Shield and Mi Box 3. Both of them don't show the certification status. I'm not sure whether it used to show that information before. On devices with non Android TV OS, you can still see the certification status. I guess, it has to be assumed that if the device is running Android TV OS, it would be Google certified. The other way to test would be to check whether Google Cast works or not.
(2018-07-21, 19:58)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-07-21, 19:24)clarkss12 Wrote:  I have NEVER seen an add showing 4K coming later, for any device.  But, I won't hold my breath for Netflix in 4K on any of these boxes as of today.  How do I use the Play Store settings go check the certificationHuh 
I think it was the MeCool M8S Pro + that was advertised as having Netflix 4K. In this thread on Freaktab, you can see your own posts mention Netflix 4K
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...post653595
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...post653123

I checked nVIDIA Shield and Mi Box 3. Both of them don't show the certification status. I'm not sure whether it used to show that information before. On devices with non Android TV OS, you can still see the certification status. I guess, it has to be assumed that if the device is running Android TV OS, it would be Google certified. The other way to test would be to check whether Google Cast works or not.   
 Yes, when they first added Widevine Level 1, they erroneously stated that it played YouTube AND Netflix in 4k.  They did not state that Netflix in 4k would be forth coming.  But Mecool did support Netflix in 1080p with DD+, which at that time was a game changer for these inexpensive Chinese boxes.

Now Mecool is claiming to be Google Certified, and this time I will believe them.  If I am not mistaken, Videostrong is providing set-top boxes for cable/satellite distributors based on the Android TV OS.  If that is true, then I would ASSUME that they are already Google Certified for those boxes.  It could also be possible that they will have Netflix's blessing to support 4k on their boxes.  But that is just a wild supposition.
(2018-07-21, 20:27)clarkss12 Wrote: Yes, when they first added Widevine Level 1, they erroneously stated that it played YouTube AND Netflix in 4k.  They did not state that Netflix in 4k would be forth coming.  But Mecool did support Netflix in 1080p with DD+, which at that time was a game changer for these inexpensive Chinese boxes.

Now Mecool is claiming to be Google Certified, and this time I will believe them.  If I am not mistaken, Videostrong is providing set-top boxes for cable/satellite distributors based on the Android TV OS.  If that is true, then I would ASSUME that they are already Google Certified for those boxes.  It could also be possible that they will have Netflix's blessing to support 4k on their boxes.  But that is just a wild supposition. 

I do remember reading either on Gearbest or Geekbuying listing for this product (or another one) that Netflix 4K would become available on a certain date.

Videostrong is a HDMI 2.0 licensee, but they are not listed as a HDCP adopter. They could be registered under another name. Will wait for your report once you get the device Smile
(2018-07-21, 21:01)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-07-21, 20:27)clarkss12 Wrote: Yes, when they first added Widevine Level 1, they erroneously stated that it played YouTube AND Netflix in 4k.  They did not state that Netflix in 4k would be forth coming.  But Mecool did support Netflix in 1080p with DD+, which at that time was a game changer for these inexpensive Chinese boxes.

I do remember reading either on Gearbest or Geekbuying listing for this product (or another one) that Netflix 4K would become available on a certain date.

Videostrong is a HDMI 2.0 licensee, but they are not listed as a HDCP adopter. They could be registered under another name. Will wait for your report once you get the device Smile 
 As I recall, it was Trebor from Freaktab that said Mecool would provide an update in about 3 months to enable Netflix to play in 4k.  He is the knowledgeable one, I listen to him.  I did not read it anywhere on Gearbest website.  

I am expecting two things when I receive this device.

1.  Actually Google Certified (not sure how to verify that it is not a doctored version).

2.  HDCP 2.x (should be verified by the DRMinfo app).

I will take for granted that it will play Netflix in 1080p with DD+, and YouTube in 4K.  Everything SHOULD play in Kodi well, including HD audio, EXCEPT my videos encoded with VC-1.  For whatever reason, they struggle with VC-1 codecs......
@clarkss12: "this product" in my earlier post was actually referring to M8S Pro + or another model released around that time and not this new model.

Google Cast (Chromecast built-in) works only on licensed devices. So, you could try casting Netflix from your phone and see whether it works.

Hmm.. Dolby Digital logo on the box is outdated and doesn't comply with current Dolby branding guidelines.
Had this in my cart for a few seconds w/coupon applied for $60, but opted not to buy. Alongside my nVidia Shield TV, couldn't really think of why I'd use it. Shiny new box, cheap price impulse buy avoided Smile.
(2018-07-22, 23:08)hdmkv Wrote: Had this in my cart for a few seconds w/coupon applied for $60, but opted not to buy. Alongside my nVidia Shield TV, couldn't really think of why I'd use it. Shiny new box, cheap price impulse buy avoided Smile.
 Hahaha, you were able to over come the temptation!!!!  That is great........  Guess I am addicted to "YOU HAVE MAIL", from the AOL days, but now it is a physical "you have mail".  If I don't receive a package in the mail at least once a month, I have to go see my psych doctor........
Given how Xiaomi have treated me with the Mi Box I couldnt help but click buy on the MeCool KM8  

Will see how it works out. If not can add it to the stack of FireTVs, MiBoxes, cheap android clones and other offerings to the great gods of streaming.
  • 95(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6