• 143(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2018-07-14, 03:41)3DBuff Wrote:
(2018-07-12, 07:29)Hail.ceasar Wrote: Thanks. How do I set dynamic range to limited ?

And also, what setting do you use on your tv for 3D please?
(2018-07-10, 17:29)3DBuff Wrote: I have the same set up LG OLED65E6P with Zidoo X9S. Someone pointed it out in the past. LG’s are working good with AUTO and 12 bit. Samsung’s are better with 10 bits for banding.
In general LG all AUTO except for Dynamic Range set to limited.
 Limited dynamic range in Zidoo
Zidoo > Quick Settings > Display > Advanced Settings > HDMI Range Mode 16-235

As far as TV adjustments it is very wide subject. There are hundreds of pages with owners threads and even more with debates about LG motion handling and settings. OLED screens are very fast and 24fps film material looks juddery and strobing without interpolated frames. On the other hand LCD based screens (all non OLED) have blur on frame transitions helping with perceiving motion. There are very good postings on LG motion settings from @GlennTidbury.
Here is link to one of them but you can browse through this thread for many more:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled...t-26207504

Important is to update firmware to the latest. I'm on Korean version 5.30.30 on my North American OLED 65E6P. Latest firmware has a lot of improvements in motion handling. I think official NA version is 05.30.25 witch is good also.

I can share my settings but it depends a lot on personal preference (judder from 24fps film or soap opera effect from frame interpolation). LG E6 and G6 were probably the best 3D TV's ever build. I like 3D realism and I push it to the limit using frame interpolation. Only best quality 3D Blu-Rays or ISO files. Completely black room. My seating is about 8 to 10' away from 65" TV. Eye level should be just below center of the screen.
My TV is not calibrated. Most of the settings are default. Try not to change settings from default thinking it will give you a better image. Some of the settings will produce anomalies on the screen specially in 3D. I found it the hard way Wink

Here are some of my settings:
Under General set the HDMI Deep Color to on for Zidoo port
Under Picture > Energy Saving Medium (this reduces maximum brightness of the screen, I don't need very bright in the black room)
                    > Aspect Ratio Original and Just Scan
Picture Mode - Standard or ISF Expert Dark Room (all will work when set up Standard is shown for simplicity)
Standard > OLED LIGHT 80
              > Contrast 95
              > Brightness 50 (this should be adjusted per movie as needed. Typically is from 48 to 52 to keep deep blacks without clipping or glowing)
              > Sharpness 10 to 15
              > Color 55
> Avanced Controls > Dynamic Contrast OFF
                             > Dynamic Color OFF
                             > Color Gamut (I have it Wide Smile
                             > Super Resolution Low
                             > Gamma Medium
> Picture Options > Noise Reduction LOW
                          > MPEG Noise OFF
                          > Black Level Low
                          > Real Cinema On (it gets greyed out and disabled when TruMotion is used)
                          > TruMotion Clear (for all 3D good quality movies)

The only difference for regular 2D HD movies (not HDR) would be setting TruMotion to User and De-Judder 3 to 5 based on content and your liking. De-Blur stays at 0. It is only for 50 and 60 fps videos. TV keeps separate set of adjustments for 3D. You need to make all changes while 3D signal is on the TV.
Send me a PM if you need more info. This is Kodi / Zidoo thread  Wink

Note: One more point. LG motion processor gets overloaded working with 4K screen and 120Hz refresh rate. You need to kill all background active apps in order to free resources to motion processor. Long push on home button and X them all out. On occasion if something gets stuck and not looking right changing deep color any HDMI ports will force reboot. 
Thanks so much for the detailed explanation .  Blush
Quick update to above post.

With Zidoo firmware xx.34 it's better to set "Deep Color Mode" to 10 bit for banding and limited range just like before.

LG has updated firmware for Korean and North America OLED E6 series to 5.30.30 about 2 weeks ago.
(2018-08-01, 03:24)3DBuff Wrote: Quick update to above post.

With Zidoo firmware xx.34 it's better to set "Deep Color Mode" to 10 bit for banding and limited range just like before.

LG has updated firmware for Korean and North America OLED E6 series to 5.30.30 about 2 weeks ago.

thanks a lot 3DBuff, very reassuring information.
I live in Thailand, and indeed when I did Auto update it said no update available (was on 5.30.15), when I had checked LG website I downloaded the latest version and installed it through USB. Will try True Motion on Clear for 3D, so far turned it off, but I do see judder when the camera moves across a landscape (the video stutters), I'm assuming this will reduce that (but I also read True Motion can create artifacts, that's why I turned it off, played around with it once, and the blades of the Helicopter looked very strange, so turned it off, but that was on User mode)

BBC Earth II has a rather strong HDR, I'm seeing sometimes when forests are far that they sort of flicker slowly, like alternating brighter and darker... is this an issue of the Zidoo player or should I adjust my TV settings?
If you look for artefacts you will always find them. There will always be a shade of distortion around fast moving objects and a bit of splash on flashing lights or objects. It’s much better with newer firmware. You need to find a ballance for yourself. I like natural smooth motion and any kind of pulsing or strobing bothers my eyes. I can see strobing everywhere on OLED with 24 fps, people faces when talking, any movement not only panning scenes.

For any type of noise, snow flashes when you pause the playback check the cable first.
Double post
(2018-07-21, 20:42)hdmkv Wrote: Just tested the new v.2.0.34 firmware, and 10-bit output looks good to me, no banding. Below are the settings I used... I had first tried 'Auto' for all, and 4K HDR plays in 12-bit, but the picture is really dim (appears they broke 12-bit when fixing 10-bit). In any case, proper 10-bit is what we need, and this f/w appears to get it right. @OlivierQC and @wesk05, waiting to see what you see.

Other positive news is that while using 2.0.34 fw... With the settings of 10bit and limited... For the first time my HDFury Vertex shows that a 23.976 frame rate files... are indeed playing at 23.976!
(2018-08-01, 21:15)litlgi74 Wrote: Other positive news is that while using 2.0.34 fw... With the settings of 10bit and limited... For the first time my HDFury Vertex shows that a 23.976 frame rate files... are indeed playing at 23.976! 
If I recall correctly, 4K 10/12-bit 4:4:4 had the correct refresh rate output even before this firmware. It was the HDFury Vertex that had a rounding error. It could be that it has been fixed in a later Vertex firmware. I haven't checked it recently against a reference.
Cheapo Zidoo X9S clones?
(2018-08-07, 01:01)hdmkv Wrote: Cheapo Zidoo X9S clones?
 Received mine Smile

Got my "Ourglass" clone yesterday. I flashed the firmware to Zidoo v1.2.3 successfully and emailed them the MAC addresses.
I received the activation email from Zidoo this morning (Please restart your box, It should work now). I power-cycled the box and got the "Success" message.
I then updated the software to the current version 2.0.34 and adjusted settings per 3DBuff's post above. (Thank you 3DBuff!!)

I then connected my 1TB USB3 drive loaded with select 3D Blu-Ray ISOs made using DvdFab Blu Ray Copy and voila! All is working perfectly!

My 55C6P OLED is calibrated (by Chad B) and playing the .iso file from the X9S looks no different to me so far than playing the actual disc on my Sony X800.
Haven't tried 4k yet.

Really nice little box!

Next up: a 4TB drive to fit all of my 3D movies. And probably some regular Blu Rays as well.
Hi Guys,

This weekend will try to perform several tests using professional R.Masciola's UHD/HDR-10 Test Patterns to check the banding, will be comparing X9S against OPPO UDP-203, as I use Lumagen Pro it will be in the chain, however will try to do some tests via direct hook.
Will also try to run some real scenes from Martian, can you please specify exact timecode so I can be precise when comparing those tests.
Video Chain: SONY VPL-VW760ES/VPL-VW885ES > Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 > OPPO UDP-203/ZIDOO X9S > Elite Screen 16:9 135" 1.1 Gain MaxWhite
Audio: Sony BDMV 9200 5.1 System
My PC Build: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6Q52FS
(2018-05-12, 18:11)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... tried your clips, and I do see banding w/Zidoo Sad. Couldn't believe it, so tried my own full rips of both these movies to make sure. Banding is easily noticeable, even late morning today with ambient light seeping into my family room. Last I watched these two movies was when I had a LG UHD Blu-ray player, so today was the first time testing via Zidoo X9S and nVidia Shield TV...

Click any image for larger versions:
watch gallery

@mirror88, have you guys looked into what is causing this?
Can you please let me know what ZDMC Skin you use? I really like it.
Video Chain: SONY VPL-VW760ES/VPL-VW885ES > Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 > OPPO UDP-203/ZIDOO X9S > Elite Screen 16:9 135" 1.1 Gain MaxWhite
The skin is Aura. And, banding isn't an issue w/the latest firmware when using 10-bit.
Thank you my friend. I run https://github.com/mikesilvo164/skin.aeo...ee/krypton Skin Aeon Madnox - quite good skin as well, but will try out Aura one as I like the info metadata.
Just did some testing yesterday with latest firmware, It still does provide banding when bits depth is set to 12, forcing it to 10 does the job better.
  • 143(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8