• 182(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-08-11, 14:04)wrxtasy Wrote: See the Zidoo X9S thread for working 1080p 3D and then have fun dealing with a tablet Android OS.
No thank you. Tongue

(The headaches I've had with my Nvidia Shield TV have put me right off Android. For 3D, I think my Raspberry Pi 3+ with LE will suffice for now.)
(2018-08-11, 14:04)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-08-11, 10:41)Shasarak Wrote: That's a tad more expensive than I was hoping for, but I'll check it out. Is it 100% confirmed that it can decode DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD losslessly to multi-channel PCM?
It's 100% confirmed because that is what I get with my Yamaha AVR using an ATV 4K and the MrMC App. 

@wrxtasy isn't it only lossless for 48kHz content? Not sure it is for 96 or 192k stuff?
(2018-08-11, 22:38)noggin Wrote:
(2018-08-11, 10:41)Shasarak Wrote: That's a tad more expensive than I was hoping for, but I'll check it out. Is it 100% confirmed that it can decode DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD losslessly to multi-channel PCM?
It's 100% confirmed because that is what I get with my Yamaha AVR using an ATV 4K and the MrMC App. 

@wrxtasy isn't it only lossless for 48kHz content? Not sure it is for 96 or 192k stuff?
I believe Yes for 48kHz audio content like TrueHD and DTSHD-MA.
Not sure what happens with 192k FLAC for example. Maybe @wesk05 has more info.

(2018-08-11, 10:41)Shasarak Wrote: I don't necessarily mind manually changing output resolution if it doesn't require too many button presses; but I doubt that its upscaling is as good as my Lumagen RadiancePro video processor, so the ability to output 1080p at native resolution is important.
I doubt it as good either but this is a $100-$150 media player we are talking about here.
When I said that, I wasn't saying I expect a $100 device to have Lumagen-level upscaling quality, I was simply pointing out why I need a media player that is capable of outputting video *without* upscaling: unless the upscaling is actually Lumagen-grade, if the player insists on upscaling everything itself, that represents a compromise in image quality for me - so the fact that a particular media player upscales relatively well is not enough to justify it being unable to output at native res (if it can't).
Be aware then that LibreELEC on the MINIX U9 will not allow you to playback and output anything below 1080p resolution without Kodi or the AMLogic hardware upscaling it.
OSMC on the Vero 4K+ I believe will be limited to 720p being the lowest user selectable output resolution. (at least that is what I see with my 4K TV)

I can manually select, 720p, 576p, 480p and a whole bunch of other output resolution combinations with the Apple TV 4K.
That is if you are looking for native res. outputs so you can then utilise your Lumagen RadiancePro video processor.

(2018-08-12, 08:02)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-08-11, 22:38)noggin Wrote:
(2018-08-11, 14:04)wrxtasy Wrote: It's 100% confirmed because that is what I get with my Yamaha AVR using an ATV 4K and the MrMC App. 

I believe Yes for 48kHz audio content like TrueHD and DTSHD-MA.   
However True HD and DTS HD MA don't have to be 48kHz.

AIUI they can both also carry 96kHz and 192kHz lossless content - and this won't be decoded losslessly if the ATV 4K is limited to 48kHz PCM output - which is why I questioned DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD being losslessly decoded without a caveat (as you can't assume all DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD content is 48kHz)

My Akira Blu-ray includes a 192kHz 5.1 Dolby True HD track for instance. This will only be losslessly decoded on an ATV4K if it outputs 5.1 PCM at 192kHz.
(The Raspberry Pi is limited to 4.0 PCM at 192kHz - so it can't play this back losslessly - though it can handle 5.1 96kHz stuff)
Somewhat confused on this topic in terms of what to buy (given that’s the Threads title is).

There is an overwhelming amount of information here and just as I thought I know what I am going to buy I read something else...

I was going to buy the new AFtV box but I believe that doesn’t support 4K from Kodi albeit it does it’s 4K for Amazon and Netflix so time to rethink - correct me if I am wrong.

My movie repository contains just about every standard format in HD but now I’m about to jump into 4K , UHD stuff so need to get this right.

Am I correct in thinking that I should steer clear of an Android build even with the S912 chip ? I’ve seen a few that purport to support 4K so I don’t understand why they wouldn’t be an option...

This kind of thing :

DroidBOX[emoji769] T95Z Plus Android 7.1 Amlogic S912 Octa Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM Mini Computer Support 4K Resolution 2.4G/5G Dual WIFI 1000M T95Z LAN BT 4.0 [2/16-IR] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSZQ5KC/r...CBbVEVYRC5

So switching to look at the Vero4k+ it’s a bit pricier and runs OSMC which I think is fine but I noticed that on the 4K earlier model it didn’t support DolbyVision ..does the + model now support that?

Also what’s the impact of streaming something in DolbyVision on a 4K if it doesn’t support it ...assume it plays it but does something with the signal to show?

Lots of questions but would appreciate any help here before I buy ...

Thanks in advance...
(2018-08-12, 15:05)noggin Wrote: My Akira Blu-ray includes a 192kHz 5.1 Dolby True HD track for instance. This will only be losslessly decoded on an ATV4K if it outputs 5.1 PCM at 192kHz.
(The Raspberry Pi is limited to 4.0 PCM at 192kHz - so it can't play this back losslessly - though it can handle 5.1 96kHz stuff)
Fair enough but my next question is how common are 192kHz 5.1 Dolby True HD Blu-rays in the real world ?

Or are we just going to argue over semantics ? Wink

(2018-08-12, 18:25)Gkinghrn Wrote: DroidBOX[emoji769] T95Z Plus Android 7.1 Amlogic S912 Octa Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM Mini Computer Support 4K Resolution 2.4G/5G Dual WIFI 1000M T95Z LAN BT 4.0 [2/16-IR]
It will be fine running LibreELEC Kodi, will play virtually anything (excluding 1080p 3D and DolbyVision) you throw at it when running that OS.

It will not do 4K Amazon or 4K Netflix, not even 720p Netflix when running Android.
Because you need a properly Google and/or Netflix Certified device with the correct DRM (copy protections) like a NVIDIA Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box, Fire TV Gen3 or an Apple TV 4K.

Quote:So switching to look at the Vero4k+ it’s a bit pricier and runs OSMC which I think is fine but I noticed that on the 4K earlier model it didn’t support DolbyVision ..does the + model now support that?
Only one device support DolbyVision online streaming from iTunes and Netflix, possibly Vudu Apps as well - that device is the Apple TV 4K.

No media player can play DolbyVision 4K Blu-ray Rips. There is no software available to do that anywhere, even if a device's chipset is DolbyVision capable.

Thank you for the speedy response . I’ve got Amazon and Netflix 4K via my LG Tv so that’s no loss - it plays DolbyVision stuff from there so that’s all good. Dont think I have any DV stuff in my library.

This would purely be , until I experiment further, then just for streaming Kodi normal and my 4K stuff ... no reason not to buy that one is how I read your response?
(2018-08-12, 18:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Or are we just going to argue over semantics ? Wink 
No one has confirmed that the decoding on Apple TV 4K is "bit perfect". Couple of months back I had brought to James' attention that Infuse doesn't decode 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus correctly despite having a licensed Dolby decoder. He said he will look into it, but I don't think he ever posted an update. Dolby requires that DRC be applied to decoded output. I have not seen any option for DRC in Infuse settings. So, I don't know whether Infuse has by default enabled DRC or not.
(2018-08-12, 18:32)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-08-12, 15:05)noggin Wrote: My Akira Blu-ray includes a 192kHz 5.1 Dolby True HD track for instance. This will only be losslessly decoded on an ATV4K if it outputs 5.1 PCM at 192kHz.
Fair enough but my next question is how common are 192kHz 5.1 Dolby True HD Blu-rays in the real world ?

Or are we just going to argue over semantics ? Wink    
 192k 5.1 is rare.  192k 2.0 is also rare.  96k is less rare (though not widespread) as it is used for some classical and concert releases.  

It's not semantics to point out that a statement is incorrect, and it may be important to you if you have those releases.

48k/24 bit True HD and DTS HD MA may well be losslessly decoded to PCM.  However 96k and 192k stuff may be downsampled non-losslessly if the ATV is limited to 48k/24bit output. Better to be correct than incorrect surely?

(The Pi outputs 96k 5.1 and 192k 4.0 PCM and people were careful to note that caveat when DTS HD MA and True HD decoding to multichannel PCM became available on it)
(2018-08-12, 18:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Only one device support DolbyVision online streaming from iTunes and Netflix, possibly Vudu Apps as well - that device is the Apple TV 4K.
At the risk of veering several miles off topic, the Chromecast Ultra can do Dolby Vision for Netflix, and possibly for other streaming apps as well, I'm not sure....
(2018-08-12, 23:10)noggin Wrote: It's not semantics to point out that a statement is incorrect, and it may be important to you if you have those releases.

48k/24 bit True HD and DTS HD MA may well be losslessly decoded to PCM.  However 96k and 192k stuff may be downsampled non-losslessly if the ATV is limited to 48k/24bit output. Better to be correct than incorrect surely?
Well we will not know until someone with the correct equiptment tests and reports on those "rare" 96k and 192k Blu-ray's.
Once there is hard data then a statement can be made.

I removed the "bit perfect" statement from the 4K HDR10 State of Play thread in the meantime, and limited the decoding statement to 24bit 48kHz

Then there is tvOS coming which will change the audio landscape once again.

(2018-08-13, 04:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Well we will not know until someone with the correct equiptment tests and reports on those "rare" 96k and 192k Blu-ray's.
Once there is hard data then a statement can be made.
Apple TV 4K only outputs 24-bit 48kHz (default) or 16-bit 48kHz (has to be selected in the settings).
  • 182(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28