• 77(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
I was trying out the addon today and on my Leia Ubuntu box Kodi will not close after triggering the Steam start. Though it will close Kodi if you then go and try to exit Steam. So for a short time there are two instances of Kodi open, which messes a bit with some addons (i.e. Youtube and Spotify).

Here is the debug log. https://paste.kodi.tv/ubahirahot
AMD Ryzen 5 2700 | Asus ROG Strix B350 ITX | Geforce RTX 2060 
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS | Kernel 6.1 | Nvidia blob drivers | Kodi v20
How are you launching kodi? Does running the following from a terminal when kodi is running work?

"/home/kodi/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh" "/usr/bin/steam" "/usr/bin/kodi" "0" "false" "false" "false"

You might need to find a command that kills kodi and add it as a pre-steam script.
(2018-08-28, 12:59)teeedubb Wrote: "/home/kodi/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh" "/usr/bin/steam" "/usr/bin/kodi" "0" "false" "false" "false"

Same behaviour, when running this, Steam will start, but Kodi remains up. Once I exit Steam, Kodi starts to close and open at the same time. I think it actually keeps the original Kodi session running, but starts and almost immediately after ends a new session. It's pretty strange Smile  Oh, and the same happens, when I define not to close Kodi in the Addon Settings, which is even stranger.

I start my Kodi session from the Autostart section of XFCE/LightDM. It basically executes /usr/bin/kodi, that's all.
Does running the commands above give any clues as to what is happening? Dow running "kill -9 kodi.bin" kill kodi?
the thing is, if you kill kodi, if you run as kodi session, he is ejecting you from the session, automatically steam is closing, and you have to login again.
if you are on gnome/mate (whatever) session with desktop, with custom script is ok, he is closing kodi, starting steam, after closing steam, automatically is starting kodi and so on and so on.

so issue is how to close kodi session and to start steamos-session? here is another problem, steam big picture, exit to desktop is not working Sad
(2018-08-29, 14:12)teeedubb Wrote: Does running the commands above give any clues as to what is happening? Dow running "kill -9 kodi.bin" kill kodi?

You mean pkill, right? Yes, that would exit Kodi forceful, but successfully on my box.

„pkill -9 kodi“ would be the command on my Ubuntu machine.
@Juppstein My bad, the add-on uses "kill $(pidof kodi.bin)" then if Kodi is still open after 5 seconds it uses "kill -9 $(pidof kodi.bin)".

If pkill works for you then you can try and use that in the pre-steam script.

@vali you could possibly use scripting to achieve launching steamos compositor - pre-steam script to create a temp file and kill Kodi, and have the script that launches your session check for said temp file, if it exists launch the steamos compositor and steam, if not then carry on as normal. You'll need to experiment with it.
Return to desktop doesn't work on Linux because I haven't found a way to detect it occurring.
I was able to get it to work so far by using  "kodi-send --action="Quit"" as a pre-start script to gracefully exit Kodi. With just kill or pkill it would not work because I got error messages from my Youtube, Netflix or Spotify addons about open ports and sessions. With a graceful exit using the kodi-send tool is works so far. Let's hope it stays like that Big Grin

Oh and just in case someone wants to get rid of the chat/friends popup that were introduced to Steam recently, just create a script file like „steamstart“, make it executable and add this to the file:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/kodi -nochatui -nofriendsui

Then you set this file as the steam executable in the config of the addon. Or the devs of the addon could add this as a switch to the config, which would save people from messing around with script files Big Grin
Hi,

thanks for steam launcher addon teeedubb!

Steam started a beta "steam client" with wine/proton support to get windows games playable under linux. I tried the native steam client and windows games can be installed and launched under linux with the beta client.

If i try to launch the game with steam launcher under kodi, it dows not show the possibility to launch the game, just "No Steam OS support" or something like this. Also it's not possible to adjust the settings via steam launcher to participate the beta program - the option is "greyed out".

Would it be possible to launch "wine/proton emulated" windows games with steam launcher under kodi with linux? Or maybe the problem is somewhere else?

Thanks!
ciax
That's strange.
I don't have a Linux install to test with right now so if you want this fixed I need you to troubleshoot this for me.
The Kodi debug log will show he command that the add-on uses to launch steam - what happens when you use that command to launch steam outside of Kodi?
Thanks for reply! In the debug log i can't see anything special, how steam is launched - there are no particular parameters/switches.

See the log: https://paste.kodi.tv/milubaruyi.kodi

Code:
"/usr/games/steam" "/usr/bin/kodi" "1" "false" "false" "false"

Running steam outside kodi with /usr/games/steam, it starts not in BigPicture mode, and it's possible to "participate in steam beta". There's also the Menu Option "Steam Play", under which you can select f.e. "Proton". The steam client is in version from 13th october.
Hi Ciax,

How does steam act when you run:

"/var/lib/vdr/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/steam-launch.sh" "/usr/games/steam" "/usr/bin/kodi" "1" "false" "false" "false"

?
yes, outside Kodi it's working with that command (it is possible to start a "windows-game", but the option under system/"participate beta" still greyed out. Mabye i have a problem with user rights and the used config/update files from steam client?

here's a "log" : https://paste.kodi.tv/xirefifeyo

thanks!
This is broken in Kodi 18 on Linux. steam-launch.sh has many references to kodi.bin which doesn't exist with Kodi 18. The kodi executable is now display server dependent:
It's called kodi-x11 for X.org, kodi-wayland for wayland and kodi-gbm for gbm. To get is working with Kodi 18 in X.org, I manually changed the kodi.bin references to kodi-x11.
.. but, i'm using kodi 17.
  • 77(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7