Android Android TV -Sony Bravia XD7505 - only FULL HD
Hello,
I have TV Sony Bravia 65XD7505, I wanted Android TV mostly because I don't like dlna.
I noticed that resolution setting in KODI is greyed out on 1080p/60Hz and I found this answer:
Quote:Apps compiled as "Application (Video)" have access to hardware 4K video decoding, that is why Youtube, Netflix, etc, play video at 4K. Apps compiled as "Application" have limited access to 1080p video rendering only.
I checked it and KODI is reported like "Application".
Is there anything I can do to make it work ?
Thank you.
And can you perhaps point to the source where you found this info and how to actually do that?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
the info seems to be coming from this thread on the sony forums:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-...-p/2251639
(2018-09-15, 13:39)hennys Wrote: the info seems to be coming from this thread on the sony forums:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-...-p/2251639
 also found that one and it means absolutely nothing to us. There's no reference to any official documents on how that is supposed to work
Hi i try to test it on Sony Bravia KD-65XE8596  and i think its true .
Test file :Star.Wars.The.Last.Jedi.2017.2160p.UHD.BluRay.x265-EMERALD

Scenario 1: Kodi on AndroidTV

Scenario 2: Kodi on Windows (PC connected via HMDI 1.4 to Sony TV) set to 1920x1080@60HZ

Scenario 3: Kodi on Windows (PC connected via HMDI 1.4 to Sony TV) set to 3840x2160@30HZ

How to achieve Scenario 3 on AndroidTV with kodi ?
Henys's reply is exactly what I found,
I will try to compare build in player and KODI with some 4k test footage, but from my point of view different compile should solve this issue.
(2018-09-15, 22:22)mr.biker Wrote: Hi i try to test it on Sony Bravia KD-65XE8596  and i think its true .

Scenario 2: Kodi on Windows (PC connected via HMDI 1.4 to Sony TV) set to 1920x1080@60HZ

Scenario 3: Kodi on Windows (PC connected via HMDI 1.4 to Sony TV) set to 3840x2160@30HZ

Has NOTHING to do with AndroidTV but with yet another absoutely shitty implementation of SONY. After they fucked up most Audio, now they tune video ... they shall fix it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-09-16, 00:07)Chada090 Wrote: Henys's reply is exactly what I found,
I will try to compare build in player and KODI with some 4k test footage, but from my point of view different compile should solve this issue.
 then provide the steps how to compile
There is another thread discussing the same thing (although also 3D) and seem it is really for Sony to add Kodi to the Application (Video) eligible list.
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-...773/page/3
Did someone from Kodi Team send Sony an "official" query to add it? maybe this will push things a bit?

Someone (on the above link) tinkered a bit and simulated Kodi with one package name from the list and looks like it works...
(2018-09-16, 11:21)Shanyel Wrote: There is another thread discussing the same thing (although also 3D) and seem it is really for Sony to add Kodi to the Application (Video) eligible list.
Did someone from Kodi Team send Sony an "official" query to add it? maybe this will push things a bit?

Someone (on the above link) tinkered a bit and simulated Kodi with one package name from the list and looks like it works...
 We have no intention of kissing some one's behind to get on the list. If Sony want to play such a retard game then by all means they should but we are not playing along.

Just stop buying Sony should also work.
(2018-09-16, 11:21)Shanyel Wrote: There is another thread discussing the same thing (although also 3D) and seem it is really for Sony to add Kodi to the Application (Video) eligible list.

yeah it works. I try kodi 18 alpha compiled as com.gaikai.client. And profile is Application (Video).
But is aplha and link how compile 17.6 is removed.
oh well. Sending Sony an email from an official Kodi Team member doesn't mean kiss their 'ar**'....

Yes we all agree this is the way that Sony implemented its Android TV setup. Not perfect indeed, but this is what we've.
I bet Netflix, Amazon and others approached the same way, to ensure the app works in its full potential.

Anyways, I opened a ticket with Sony, lets see what comes back.
I invite others from this community to send as well so we can get some momentum
As Shanyel said, just ask will not hurt anybody.
According this article I think they shouldn't make any  trouble about it :https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/support/articles/00151961 (kodi on 1st place of recommendation)
I will ask them as well.
Your assumptions are just wrong. All GUIs on Sony Android TV are rendered at 1080p. That's what Android tells the screen resolution to be. The GUI then gets upscaled to 4K later on in hardware. Video is taking a different route than GUI. The video pipeline is fully 4K capable. Upscaled GUI and native 4K video finally get blended in hardware without video being downscaled to 1080p ever.

There are indeed 2 separate video presets for apps, one is called 'Apps', the other one is called 'Apps (Video)'. Kodi triggers the first one while stock video apps trigger the latter (Netflix, YouTube). Video is handled in pretty much the same way for both. It has nothing to do with 1080p vs. 2160p. Some claim that only 'Apps (Video)' triggers the 24p display mode which is just wrong. 24p content inside Kodi is played back at a perfect 5:5 on my 120Hz Sony ATV. It might enable 3D. That's pretty much the only difference between the two presets (apart from being able to auto-switch to the Cinema picture mode). 3D is pretty much dead anyway though.
(2018-09-15, 22:22)mr.biker Wrote: Hi i try to test it on Sony Bravia KD-65XE8596  and i think its true .

Who prints this information?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android TV -Sony Bravia XD7505 - only FULL HD1