• 2(current)
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review
(2018-09-05, 01:42)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-09-04, 18:00)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm actually not even going to mention 3D MVC due to no current 4K HDR10+ / DolbyVision - TV manufacturers even supporting 3D anymore.
Um, alive and well on several 4K projectors from Sony, JVC, Epson, BenQ & Optoma Smile

Are they HDR10+ / DolbyVision projectors or just regular HDR10?  wrxtasy was specific in the HDR standards he mentioned.
Now that the XBOX One X and S is getting DolbyVision support, I found a list for the DV "low latency" compatible 4K HDR TV's as well.
They are the ones with the upgraded Firmware that are also compatible with the listed ATV 4K DV compatible streaming Apps:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/t...atible.pdf

(2018-09-05, 06:27)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-09-05, 01:42)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-09-04, 18:00)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm actually not even going to mention 3D MVC due to no current 4K HDR10+ / DolbyVision - TV manufacturers even supporting 3D anymore.
Um, alive and well on several 4K projectors from Sony, JVC, Epson, BenQ & Optoma Smile
Seems DolbyVision is what Apple are concentrating on for the 4K streaming Apps. Has anyone release DolbyVision projectors ? 
 Consumer Dolby Vision projectors do not exist yet
(2018-09-05, 09:15)noggin Wrote: Are they HDR10+ / DolbyVision projectors or just regular HDR10?  wrxtasy was specific in the HDR standards he mentioned.
Not yet, but what relevance do HDR10+ or DolbyVision have w/Kodi or MrMC? Neither can play them yet (last I checked, unless they're now working w/UHD rips).
(2018-09-06, 01:23)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-09-05, 09:15)noggin Wrote: Are they HDR10+ / DolbyVision projectors or just regular HDR10?  wrxtasy was specific in the HDR standards he mentioned.
Not yet, but what relevance do HDR10+ or DolbyVision have w/Kodi or MrMC? Neither can play them yet (last I checked, unless they're now working w/UHD rips).   
I think the reference was more to do with the lack of 3D support on modern high-end TVs - and HDR10+/DV support is one significant indicator of a high-end TV, rather than just HDR support.  

I think wrxtasy was making the point that 3D is close to dead in the high-end TV space - so, in turn, 3D support is less likely on the newer player platforms that might also run Kodi/MrMC - like Apple Fire TV, nVidia Shield TV etc. and those that follow;.  

I know 3D is hugely important for a number of 3D fans - but in the wider consumer space it hasn't taken off.  As fewer and fewer sets are sold that support it, the market for player platforms that support it also drops.  3D has been more successful as a projector format - but they are a tiny portion of the market I fear.  It's a bit like SACD support. Vital for those who want it, but not a significant mainstream factor, unlike UHD, HDR and HD Audio support.
Agreed. It’s unfortunate with 3D as even the best 4K isn’t as immersive a movie experience as competently done 3D, especially with ATMOS in the mix. Just IMHO of course.
(2018-09-06, 15:39)hdmkv Wrote: Agreed. It’s unfortunate with 3D as even the best 4K isn’t as immersive a movie experience as competently done 3D, especially with ATMOS in the mix. Just IMHO of course.
 Well said. Nod
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2018-09-04, 21:54)Keane16 Wrote:
(2018-09-04, 21:32)Vlaves Wrote: I connected my afternarket Xiaomi Mibox remote as it was recognized as a Keyboard, it sadly just sends the wrong keys.

If anyone knows a way to do something like that, appreciate an hint.

Regards
Vlaves

Have you tried editing the keymap using the add on?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

I think support may have only been added in 3.7.0, so you may have to wait for its release to try:

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18663#p18663

I didn‘t get that far at all as the keys are wrongly or not interpreted at all, so didn’t make sence to even start trying it in MrMC.

A key mapping should be ghere at tvOS level, that would be grat. or a programable Bluetooth remote.
The public tvOS 12.0 rolls out today (click) to ATV 4/4K devices and brings with it Atmos Audio support that is progressively being added to iTunes, Netflix and VUDU streaming services to add to the existing DolbyVision streaming.

There is still no Passthrough audio support for Apps like MrMC, Plex and Infuse.
Maybe in future it will be possible via Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT (click page 12) which is what I believe iTunes, Netflix and VUDU are using.

I have noticed increased tvOS and App snappiness going from tvOS 11.x to 12.

MrMC v3.7.0 for tvOS has also been released today. Smile

I was really looking forward to 3.7.0, but.... 

3.6.2 was a decent enough stock Kodi "lite". But 3.7.0 has made some very odd design choices for the limited customisability of tvOS. Now pressing back once makes the "sort by, show all, update library" bar show up top (used to show along the left side, and was retrieved by pressing left) and you have to press back again to actually go back a level. Two presses of back is annoying when you accidentally venture into the wrong folder!

Also when you select a movie it doesn't just play, it goes to movie information. This is, I guess, more in line with tvOS design, but just an extra annoying button press before I get to watch something.

Too many clicks!

wrxtasy, I haven't updated to tvos12 yet, wasn't sure about a potential hit to performance for no benefit (I don't have an atmos receiver). You say it runs better?

Thanks
(2018-09-18, 17:28)Morien Wrote: Also when you select a movie it doesn't just play, it goes to movie information. This is, I guess, more in line with tvOS design, but just an extra annoying button press before I get to watch something.
Too many clicks!
Change Skins again then...

Quote:wrxtasy, I haven't updated to tvos12 yet, wasn't sure about a potential hit to performance for no benefit (I don't have an atmos receiver). You say it runs better?

Thanks
More like an increase in performance.
In line with the iOS 12.0 update for Apple mobile devices, there is a bunch of optimisations under the hood of tvOS 12.0, It's feels slightly snappier.

(2018-09-18, 17:28)Morien Wrote: But 3.7.0 has made some very odd design choices for the limited customisability of tvOS. Now pressing back once makes the "sort by, show all, update library" bar show up top (used to show along the left side, and was retrieved by pressing left) and you have to press back again to actually go back a level. Two presses of back is annoying when you accidentally venture into the wrong folder!
I actually like it, and it fits with tvOS and how other apps work. You can use Opacity instead of the new Ariana skin and then all that is gone.

(2018-09-18, 17:28)Morien Wrote: Also when you select a movie it doesn't just play, it goes to movie information. This is, I guess, more in line with tvOS design, but just an extra annoying button press before I get to watch something.

Too many clicks!
This was a request from multiple users on the TestFlight page. You can easily change it back in the settings.

(2018-09-18, 17:28)Morien Wrote: wrxtasy, I haven't updated to tvos12 yet, wasn't sure about a potential hit to performance for no benefit (I don't have an atmos receiver). You say it runs better?
I haven't had any issues. There's no downside to updating from 11.4 to 12.0, but the plus side is you'll get Atmos in iTunes/Netflix if you use those.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2018-09-18, 19:08)timstephens24 Wrote:

Too many clicks!
This was a request from multiple users on the TestFlight page. You can easily change it back in the settings. 
Silly me, after posting I remembered how I used to be able to change this in Kodi. Sure enough, there it was.

Thanks for the feedback on tvos12 guys!
Despite I will rather choose the "HTPC way", it's still tempting for it's -somewhat- more reasonably price to get this Box for a temporary period. 

But even regardless, I would be still curious in some details:

How's the deinterlacing PQ and motion display quality (both SD and HD) compares i.e. to Amlogic + LE or juts to a budget HTPC with default MPCHC?
Same question regarding the PQ with upscalling and downscalling quality (SD->FHD, SD->4K, FHD->4K and 4K->FHD) and also the HDR->SDR conversion's color/brightness accuracy. 

I already know, that it sadly has no auto resolution switching with the "Local Playback" apps, so no use of the TV's -generally decent- upscalling capabilities this time... 

(And a big goalpost that it has no analogue audio out, it really could have been fit in there somewhere.)
(2018-09-19, 13:05)Mount81 Wrote: How's the deinterlacing PQ and motion display quality (both SD and HD) compares i.e. to Amlogic + LE or juts to a budget HTPC
The 6 Core 2.39GHz CPU package in the ATV 4K has enough ponies to do full motion 1080i h264 or mpeg2 YADIF2x software deinterlacing with MrMC, same quality as you would get with decent Intel Hardware or AML Hardware deinterlacing. They are all really good.
For SD mpeg2 TV you can even enable a bit of Kodi picture - Post Processing.

TV Channel switching with my external TvHeadend server using TvH Predictive Tuning is virtually instantaneous.

Quote:Same question regarding the PQ with upscaling and downscaling quality (SD->FHD, SD->4K, FHD->4K and 4K->FHD)
Likely not quite as good as decent Intel if it uses Lanczos3 optimised or better for SD > HD upscaling, but it's still pretty good. I've no complaints regarding PQ on the ATV 4K.

Quote:HDR->SDR conversion's color/brightness accuracy. 
No such thing as accuracy I believe, because different SDR TV's will output different color results and they will not look as good as the equivalent SDR only Bluray.

Here in Oz, 32GB ATV 4K's are $209 - a bit of a bargain for what you get packaged under the hood IMHO. Smile

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review2