• 3(current)
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review
I think, Apple has superior upscaling capabilities: [link]
(2018-09-19, 21:00)djnice Wrote: I think, Apple has superior upscaling capabilities: [link]
 The Apple "native player" upscalling really looks convincing, but that can't be just used in many instances i guess. And in the linked post the Infuse upscale image is outdated, as since they have been updated the app with better scalling implemented. Would be nice to see a newer similar comparison also with MrMC images included.
Hi.
Now that I have a decent internet connection (thanks 4G), it's time to change my rpi3 for a netflix and molotov/canal+ (french tv and replay apps) compatible device.
My setup is a 1080p TV and 2.0 external hifi, so very basic.
But I'd like a future proof 4K/HDR player, maybe santa will bring me a new TV sometimes Wink

The choice is limited between nvidia shield and apple tv.
I have tested several times the shield, and each time the really poor upscaling (SD/720p -> 1080p) made me sell it quick.
Nothing I tried could match rpi upscaling and stability.
I tried SPMC, Odroid C2 patch, and even kodi leia whitelist resolutions: my tv doesn't support very well SD and 720p input, with dumb overscan.

So time to consider the ATV:
  • silent and low power consumptions
  • future proof, with 4K and HDR compatibility
  • auto refresh rate (very important for french tv)
  • top of the list upscaler (native resolution output in spmc or leia don't work very well on my tv)
  • logitech harmony compatible
  • mrmc addons: support opensubtitle downloader and keymap editor. (ok for me, I will replace youtube and catch-up tv addons with native youtube and molotov apps)
  • mrmc:  TvHeadend client supported
The bad with ATV is the lack of google casting, but I think I can live without.
And the apple ecosystem that I don't know, and generally don't like.

Do you think the ATV is the way to go?
Or another solution?
As for SD/720p upscalling quality, I would be also curious.
Also: is there a "whitelist" native auto resolution switching option in MrMC or on any other player on ATV 4K? I mean also for SD and 720p? Or the res is always stuck at the GUI's res?
(2018-11-17, 12:49)Mount81 Wrote: As for SD/720p upscalling quality, I would be also curious.
Also: is there a "whitelist" native auto resolution switching option in MrMC or on any other player on ATV 4K? I mean also for SD and 720p? Or the res is always stuck at the GUI's res?

The upscaling on the Apple TV is really good, but there's no auto resolution switching with the ATV4K and there's no white list (kodi's the only app I know of that does this weird white listing instead of automatically switching). The only switching the ATV4K does is refresh rate switching and color space switching (the most important one in my opinion right now).
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2018-11-17, 16:49)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2018-11-17, 12:49)Mount81 Wrote: As for SD/720p upscalling quality, I would be also curious.

The upscaling on the Apple TV is really good, but there's no auto resolution switching with the ATV4K and there's no white list (kodi's the only app I know of that does this weird white listing instead of automatically switching). The only switching the ATV4K does is refresh rate switching and color space switching (the most important one in my opinion right now). 
 Kodi autoswitches if no whitelist is set - this was changed ~3 weeks ago so that users don't have to configure adjust refreshrate in two places. Btw. the whitelist was a long wished feature by some "loud screaming" users ... you will find some funny notes on github concerning that.

So by default: v18 will search the current resolution for best matching fps. If you play a video with a higher resolution than your current resolution kodi will upswitch if matching fps is found. <- v17 behaviour.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-11-17, 22:47)fritsch Wrote:  Kodi autoswitches if no whitelist is set - this was changed ~3 weeks ago so that users don't have to configure adjust refreshrate in two places.

Hey sweet thanks.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
There is no argument, its just a useless overpriced app. Basically it does the same thing as kodi but without the video ad-on feature. WHO CARES ABOUT THE STUPID INTERFACE?! Plex does this better. I don't understand why anyone would buy this filter down version... Well at the same time some people buy a filter down TV box by purchasing Apple TV instead of a good android box for a mere interface. Whatever...
(2018-11-27, 21:50)zespolnetpix Wrote: There is no argument, its just a useless overpriced app. Basically it does the same thing as kodi but without the video ad-on feature. WHO CARES ABOUT THE STUPID INTERFACE?! Plex does this better. I don't understand why anyone would buy this filter down version... Well at the same time some people buy a filter down TV box by purchasing Apple TV instead of a good android box for a mere interface. Whatever...
Not an apple fanboy but i have noticed across the board much better PQ with appletv than my shield.
Horses for courses, i guess. I prefer the android interface though..
(2018-11-27, 21:50)zespolnetpix Wrote: There is no argument, its just a useless overpriced app. Basically it does the same thing as kodi but without the video ad-on feature. WHO CARES ABOUT THE STUPID INTERFACE?! Plex does this better. I don't understand why anyone would buy this filter down version... Well at the same time some people buy a filter down TV box by purchasing Apple TV instead of a good android box for a mere interface. Whatever...
The biggest difference is equivalent Android platforms like the Shield TV are primarily video game consoles and not video players. The Apple TV 4K is a dedicated video player.

If you don't believe me, read posts like this: Shield TV Picture Quality and Color Space Evaluation.

A dedicated video player wouldn't fail those tests. I would hope the next version of the Shield will at least have parity with the Apple TV when it comes to basic video processing.
 Yep - but the Apple TV 4K handles frame rate switching, EOTF and colour gamut switching far better than most Android TV platforms - and also has excellent Netflix and Amazon Prime Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support.

If it ran Kodi it would be perfect - but MrMC is not a bad second.  (The lack of HD Audio bit streaming is also an issue for those with Dolby True HD Atmos/DTS:X systems and content as HD Audio will be decoded to PCM 5.1/7.1 without height extensions, only DD+Atmos will be bit streamed AIUI)

I have the Shield TV, the Apple TV 4K and the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.  

The Apple TV 4K is the best platform for paid for streaming and catch-up TV IMO. If I want to watch Netflix or Amazon, I'll instantly chose the Apple TV 4K.  It's also got really nicely designed catch up TV apps for most of the major platforms I watch (BBC iPlayer, SVT, NRK, DR, C More, Viaplay etc.) The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K comes second, and the nVidia Shield TV comes last (as it doesn't do frame rate switching on streaming apps)

For pure Kodi the nVidia Shield TV comes first - even though it doesn't gamut switch automatically it does EOTF switch, frame rate switch and resolution switch, and plays all the formats you throw at it.  The Apple TV 4K beats the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K running MrMC, as it supports more video formats and does better with H264 interlaced content, but as the Apple TV 4K doesn't run Kodi, the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K has to come second in the Kodi stakes.
Could someone test please if the new FTV Stick 4k remote will pair with the Apple TV. The only thing bugging me on the ATV is the remote.
(2018-11-29, 08:06)Vlaves Wrote: Could someone test please if the new FTV Stick 4k remote will pair with the Apple TV. The only thing bugging me on the ATV is the remote.

That thing is God awful, Apple should fire whoever designed it.. burn the designs and recall all the siri remotes and launch them into outer space..

Worthless and ergonomically crap POS!
The Apple TV remote grew on me. I actually wish most things used something like it now.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
(2018-11-29, 13:10)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2018-11-29, 08:06)Vlaves Wrote: Could someone test please if the new FTV Stick 4k remote will pair with the Apple TV. The only thing bugging me on the ATV is the remote.

That thing is God awful, Apple should fire whoever designed it.. burn the designs and recall all the siri remotes and launch them into outer space..

Worthless and ergonomically crap POS!

I hated the small slippery Siri remote when I first got the ATV 4K, but with the addition of a Fintie Silicon cover to add much needed Bulk, Grip and Drop protection it's quite usable now.
Thumbnail Video scrubbing using the trackpad is an awesome feature in MrMC, Netflix and various other Apps. It's far quicker to locate exactly what you want in video vs anything else I've used.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review2