92TB FlexRAID Server
(2018-06-18, 12:04)Klojum Wrote: I don't blame you at all with the current DIMM/SoDiMM prices.
And, if it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid Wink 
  Yeah  $13 for the adaptors and I already had the RAM in a drawer from a laptop upgrade.  I hate waste so this effectively recycled it.  It's a win for my wallet and a win for the environment. Smile
I’m like that with computer parts, if I’ve bought something that doesn’t work with my setup, it goes into a box until it’s neded for someone else, saves them trying to find it.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
A minor update, I added another controller and another 8TB drive.  So we're up to 70TB now, from 62TB. Smile

Funny definition of the word ‘minor’ LOL

I feel wholly inadequate now with my 17TB now 😫

Although feeling oddly smug when there’s a hard drive issue, and you have to find the right sata cable to the right controller!

You have labelled them... haven’t you......!

*hope you take this post in good faith 😎*
My Setup thread |
(2018-10-05, 02:52)tjay260476 Wrote: Funny definition of the word ‘minor’ LOL

I feel wholly inadequate now with my 17TB now 😫

Although feeling oddly smug when there’s a hard drive issue, and you have to find the right sata cable to the right controller!

You have labelled them... haven’t you......!

*hope you take this post in good faith 😎*
The DRIVES are labeled and match their labeling in the OS.  So if 'Storage Drive 5' fails, I can easily spot it in the cage, no problem. Smile
And looking at earlier posts.... so you have....

Lesson learned here... read the entire thread!

Oops!

Now I just feel silly....

Serious question now, how much were the controllers?
My Setup thread |
Very nice, I like that second HDD cage Big Grin
How are the temperatures of the drives in the HDD cage in front of the PSU?
Kodi 21.0α | Ubuntu 22.04.3 | Kernel 6.4.x | intel i5-12600K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Corsair 2x8192MB (DDR4-3200) | HDPlex H5v2 | HDPlex 400W HiFi DC-ATX | Pioneer VSX-934 | LG 65B7D
(2018-10-05, 06:41)3dfx Wrote: Very nice, I like that second HDD cage Big Grin
They float around 30'C or so.  You'd think they might be hot because of the proximity to the PSU but the PSU is cool as a cucumber.  The system itself will idle at about 65w out the wall or 130w if every drive is spinning.  So that 650w 80+ Platinum PSU has almost no load on it.  The PSU can is configured to 'Eco' mode where it only runs the fan if the PSU exceeded 40'C, once when cleaning dust out I found zero dust in the PSU and realize it's because the fan NEVER ran in the PSU so it couldn't get any dust in it.
(2018-10-05, 04:23)tjay260476 Wrote: Serious question now, how much were the controllers?
 $34.99 CAD, as it said in the list of prices in the first post?
Oh dear, not doing ok here at all! In all fairness though I did read it.... but that was before my first post on the thread way back earlier in the thread and just skip read it now recently.

Definitely a TL: DR moment!

Sad
My Setup thread |
(2018-10-06, 00:52)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2018-10-05, 06:41)3dfx Wrote: Very nice, I like that second HDD cage Big Grin
They float around 30'C or so.  You'd think they might be hot because of the proximity to the PSU but the PSU is cool as a cucumber.  The system itself will idle at about 65w out the wall or 130w if every drive is spinning.  So that 650w 80+ Platinum PSU has almost no load on it.  The PSU can is configured to 'Eco' mode where it only runs the fan if the PSU exceeded 40'C, once when cleaning dust out I found zero dust in the PSU and realize it's because the fan NEVER ran in the PSU so it couldn't get any dust in it. 
 I didn't ask because of the PSU but because they are behind the first cage ^^
I think about doing the same but I'm lazy to flex and fiddle with the cage I have that's incompatible to my Fractal Design case.
Kodi 21.0α | Ubuntu 22.04.3 | Kernel 6.4.x | intel i5-12600K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Corsair 2x8192MB (DDR4-3200) | HDPlex H5v2 | HDPlex 400W HiFi DC-ATX | Pioneer VSX-934 | LG 65B7D
(2018-10-06, 17:58)3dfx Wrote: I think about doing the same but I'm lazy to flex and fiddle with the cage I have that's incompatible to my Fractal Design case. 

In this case all the cages are in without any modification. The 750D ships with 2 cages but there are four possible positions, so it was just a matter of ordering two extra cases from Corsair so as to occupy all four positions at once. Smile
(2018-10-06, 18:22)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2018-10-06, 17:58)3dfx Wrote: I think about doing the same but I'm lazy to flex and fiddle with the cage I have that's incompatible to my Fractal Design case. 

In this case all the cages are in without any modification. The 750D ships with 2 cages but there are four possible positions, so it was just a matter of ordering two extra cases from Corsair so as to occupy all four positions at once. Smile  
 Thought so, I could order a case that's from Fractal design which I could place in the case without modification but plus shipment fee it would cost me the same money when I order a 3xHDD case for the 2x5.25" slot (and this has an 80cm fan).
So lazy vs. spending money Big Grin
(2018-10-06, 18:25)3dfx Wrote: Thought so, I could order a case that's from Fractal design which I could place in the case without modification but plus shipment fee it would cost me the same money when I order a 3xHDD case for the 2x5.25" slot (and this has an 80cm fan).
So lazy vs. spending money Big Grin 

Yeah, the PARTS from Corsair were not really expensive but their SHIPPING to Canada, only UPS Priority as the option was murder. I was like 'Well, I'm gonna pay through the nose for these cages, might as well get EVERY other extra part, cause it's $50 in shipping either way!'. Boom, two cages, vented front plate to replace the solid one, and a solid side panel to replace the windowed one. (Cause who wants to look INSIDE a server anyway? I'd rather all the LED lights not escape the black box.)
You are using 1 parity drive for the 74 TB? What speeds are you getting on a parity check and how long does it take?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
92TB FlexRAID Server0