Combine "userrating" and "ratings"
After playing around some with ratings for videos, I don't see a reason for keeping "userrating" independently from "ratings".  ISTM that "userrating" is just a particular rating_type that could be stored as a float like any other rating.  If full skinning support were provided (booleans and infolabels) for ratings, it could give skins flexibility to display "star" info as desired.  It could also be extended to all video content and music which I think would  add value where mixed (songs and musicvideos) media are displayed in lists.

scott s.
The real reason this is not one, is that the source of the rating is usually different.
Userrating gets set by the user, manually (or downloaded from a sync source)
Ratings can get scraped by a scraper and updated from time to time. So it would end up either overwriting the userrating or complicating the code.
(2018-10-17, 12:03)Razze Wrote: The real reason this is not one, is that the source of the rating is usually different.
Userrating gets set by the user, manually (or downloaded from a sync source)
Ratings can get scraped by a scraper and updated from time to time. So it would end up either overwriting the userrating or complicating the code.
 I get that, but from a storage and presentation standpoint, since we have arbitrary rating types available, there shouldn't be much difference between rating(user) and rating(imdb).  If we need to round to an integer that would need some thought about how to implement.  This I think already exists with music, where POPM tag is read and different rating schemes can be specified.  Currently there is some involved logic in converting different schemes for music ratings into a uniform 0-10 scale.  The main shortfall I see with the existing implementation is there is no way for a skin to determine what rating types might be available.   But a same thing exists with art types.  I guess my thinking is that rather than just having a single "userrating" (agreed, probably adequate for most users), users could create additional ratings (for example, video rating, audio rating, overall rating).  Admittedly, only a tiny fraction of the user base would be interested in this sort of detail.  My only thought was that the existing ratings table in the database provides a framework where this could be done.

Meanwhile in the current implementation, in most cases where a skin accesses "rating" or "votes" it gets an internally defined "default rating" and the user has no control over what the default is (though I guess using JSON-rpc SetMovieDetails method the default can be changed).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Combine "userrating" and "ratings"0