Android Cannot access SMB shares on Windows 10
I am having problems with the share between my Win10 desktop where my data is, and my AFTV running Kodi v17, since Win10 updated about a week ago. Prior to that I had everything set up as described above, using the ip address to share the specific folder and I had a local user with admin privleges for the kodi box to log in as. The Win10 update removed that user, and I have been unable to make the connection using my own login which also has admin privileges. The login screen (when setting up the network share) on Kodi just immediately bounces back and asks for the password over and over again. I am certain I have the password right. Does Kodi have any limitations on special characters in passwords?
Windows has completely broken SMB v1. Give up trying to reinstall it or find some workaround.

The only fix on Android is to upgrade to Kodi V18 Leia, which supports SMB v2. Again, you'll have to Add Network location, spec your folder, user name and password. You won't be able to browse to it with the SMB shortcut.

Don't bother wasting any more of your time trying to get it going on the stable version.
Thank you, I had a feeling it was something like that. Ill stop beating my head against that particular wall.
Microsoft says they're going to fix it (one of these days):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...-kb4103721
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/08/...s_10_smb1/
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I dont have a problem with moving away from SMB1, as soon as I find something that works.

So now I have installed Leia, but I am still having problems. I am getting an 'operation not permitted' msg. Do I need to do anything to turn on SMB2 support in Leia?
Create a user profile with password in Windows 10. It's not wise to use your main Windows admin profile as Kodi will leak this password in plain text.

Make sure your media folder is shared to this user. I will presume you know how to set up a Windows share.

Install Kodi v.18. Until Microsoft fixes SMB v.1 (maybe in June), you cannot share to earlier builds.

(More info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...-kb4103721 )

In Kodi > Settings > Services > SMB > Default settings (min none, max v.3).

In Kodi File Manager > Add Source > Browse > Add Network Location > (Protocol SMB) > Enter fields: Server Name, Shared Folder, Username, Password (do no attempt to browse there).

Once you've succeeded in creating a link to your shared folder you can choose it as an Add Source shortcut for all media.

NB: Make sure you instruct Kodi to remember your password.
Thank you for the precise instructions. I finally have access again!
(2018-04-30, 06:07)mazey Wrote: kodi v17 doesnt have smb2/3 support so the only option is to enable smb 1 on a windows 10 machine. turn windows features on/off "Smb 1/Cifs Server" just tick that one. i left automatic removal and client unticked.

browsing hasnt worked for awhile you need to add network location in kodi and put the server name or ip in then you can connect to it.
 Thanks for this excellent post! Really helped after so many hour struggling with SMB sharing on Apple TV 4K...
(2018-04-30, 06:07)mazey Wrote: kodi v17 doesnt have smb2/3 support so the only option is to enable smb 1 on a windows 10 machine. turn windows features on/off "Smb 1/Cifs Server" just tick that one. i left automatic removal and client unticked.

browsing hasnt worked for awhile you need to add network location in kodi and put the server name or ip in then you can connect to it.
 is this across the board? i have libreelec 8.2.5, which is based on 17.6. it has two separate menus(kodi and libre) to allow you to specify the smb version 1-3. i am having a bitch of a time getting it(smb shares on a libreelec box) to share to a 17.6 install on a firestick, which has no option whatsoever to specify the smb version. what's odd, is that if i force the libre down to v1, i can suddenly see more shares on the workgroup as if the libbre machine is setting a common higher baseline for the whole network. maybe that's just how it works. ..

i have tried specifying the share on libre to both 2 and 3, and used ip and passwords, but no luck. i will try v18 as instructed above and see how that goes..

Edit,
A bunch of good info at the bottom of this link under samba changes at the end.

edit#2
yeah, update FS to kodi 18 fixed this. i think v2/3 are baked into libre, and once they were all v2/3 everything is golden.
Hello all.
I can't get my two android devices to connect to my PC shared drives as I used to. One is on 17.6 and the other on Beta 3 leila.
I have enabled SMB 1
I have checked firewall settings on my modem, there is no NETBIOS setting, but turning the firewall off completely makes no difference.
I have enabled NETBIOS option in the TCP/IPv4 properties.

The error I see says Error. Connection timed out. This comes up after about 1 second after tapping the PC name in the WORKGROUP.

Any ideas how to get past this problem, it seems to have happened in the last month or two, probably a Win10 update?

Thanks,
Mark.
(2018-06-09, 11:50)FireInMyHole Wrote: Create a user profile with password in Windows 10. It's not wise to use your main Windows admin profile as Kodi will leak this password in plain text.

Make sure your media folder is shared to this user. I will presume you know how to set up a Windows share.

Install Kodi v.18. Until Microsoft fixes SMB v.1 (maybe in June), you cannot share to earlier builds.

(More info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...-kb4103721 )

In Kodi > Settings > Services > SMB > Default settings (min none, max v.3).

In Kodi File Manager > Add Source > Browse > Add Network Location > (Protocol SMB) > Enter fields: Server Name, Shared Folder, Username, Password (do no attempt to browse there).

Once you've succeeded in creating a link to your shared folder you can choose it as an Add Source shortcut for all media.

NB: Make sure you instruct Kodi to remember your password.
 Hi
Thanks, but I tried that and "Connection timed out" after about 1 second...
So frustrating.
(2018-10-13, 20:47)fredphoesh Wrote: Thanks, but I tried that and "Connection timed out" after about 1 second...
So frustrating.

Your Windows 10 PC no longer supports SMB1 - you may be able to re-enable SMB1 support in Windows 10, but there are good reasons why Microsoft are disabling SMB1 support so it's not something I'd recommend. Running an NFS server on Windows 10 is possible and would avoid the problems wth SMB.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I can confirm (after 3 days full time working on googling solution) THE ONLY OPTION which works is installing Leila and setting SMB client in configuration (at least on Android box). So don't waist any more time by trying finding other solutions because believe you me - THEY DON'T WORK.
(2018-10-17, 17:03)calexicoca Wrote: I can confirm (after 3 days full time working on googling solution) THE ONLY OPTION which works is installing Leila and setting SMB client in configuration (at least on Android box). So don't waist any more time by trying finding other solutions because believe you me - THEY DON'T WORK.
By that do you mean simply setting up the SMB on kodi file manager, or somewhere else? File manager doesn't work with SMB for me. When you say ONLY OPTION, what about NFS? (which I haven't had success with either as I don't understand what I have to do other than to enable it in win10)
Tx
Mark.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot access SMB shares on Windows 100