v18 Passthrough Audio on Xbox One X
There is no bitstream pass through for 3rd party streaming
(2018-10-17, 14:58)jcwillia1 Wrote: There is no bitstream pass through for 3rd party streaming
Sure, that's a given. Sorry, I thought you were speaking generally. You are completely right. Passthrough options apply only to BluRay playback.
Netflix (and maybe Prime) streaming options are the exceptions to this rule, as far as I know.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2018-10-17, 04:50)jcwillia1 Wrote:
(2018-10-17, 03:35)aerogems Wrote:
(2018-10-17, 01:08)jcwillia1 Wrote: Under no circumstances and no settings will Any xbox stream higher than 5.1 --- prove me wrong because I Have Spent Hours and hours trying
 It can do at least 5.1.2 for Atmos audio, but should also be able to do 7.1.2.  

Prove it.  
 Download the Atmos app to enable the option, insert a game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider that supports Atmos audio while connected to an AVR that supports Atmos, and play. Of course I never said the Xbox would BITSTREAM 5.1.2/7.1.2 audio from a third party app. You'll get converted PCM streams at best in that case. Though I think Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and YouTube have some kind of exception worked out with MS.
I only care about playing movies that I own and have ripped to hdd. Xbox does a lousy job with that
(2018-10-17, 20:03)jcwillia1 Wrote: I only care about playing movies that I own and have ripped to hdd. Xbox does a lousy job with that
 And no-one claimed otherwise. It's still earlier days for Xbox development.
I'm bitter about my purchase sorry if that comes across as anger towards anyone Else
Well the news article did state that fact so you can't really blame us.
Quote:What you should really understand and keep remembering is that it is still in early stages of development and has very rough edges, might not be as stable as the regular version and may even be missing some functions.
Just as an aside; accepting that Kodi on Xbox is very much in beta, I am staggered at the performance advantage in favour of the Shield 2018.  My reading of the specs (and I am happy to be corrected) is that on paper, the Xbox One X should win Hands Down but in practice it is the other way round.  

Full HD source files (11Mbps in .mp4 format with DTS or DD audio)
Non-RAID Synology NAS with two 2TB conventional mid-market 7,200RPM HDDs 
Cat 6 cabling with gigabit switches between NAS and both the Shield and the Xbox

Kodi 18 on the Xbox One X typically takes 10 to 12 seconds from selecting a movie to when it starts to play.
Kodi 17 on the Shield 2018 takes a fraction over one second to load and start playing the same range of movies and is much, must faster (near instantaneous) to catch up when skipping around in a movie.

Switching either device from gigabit Ethernet to 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi makes no difference; load-and-play performance remains the same as does picture stability (no break-up or freezing in either case).
(2018-10-18, 18:44)Moravia Wrote: Just as an aside; accepting that Kodi on Xbox is very much in beta, I am staggered at the performance advantage in favour of the Shield 2018.  My reading of the specs (and I am happy to be corrected) is that on paper, the Xbox One X should win Hands Down but in practice it is the other way round.  

Cat 6 cabling with gigabit switches between NAS and both the Shield and the Xbox

Kodi 18 on the Xbox One X typically takes 10 to 12 seconds from selecting a movie to when it starts to play.
Kodi 17 on the Shield 2018 takes a fraction over one second to load and start playing the same range of movies and is much, must faster (near instantaneous) to catch up when skipping around in a movie.

Switching either device from gigabit Ethernet to 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi makes no difference; load-and-play performance remains the same as does picture stability (no break-up or freezing in either case).
 The Kodi devs can speak for themselves, but I personally would think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the UWP platform is very new for the Kodi devs and they're still figuring it out. It sounds like just supporting UWP in the first place required a pretty substantial overhaul of their build system, and there are also limitations imposed by UWP that you wouldn't have with a native app like on the Shield. Raw hardware potential is only one component in overall app performance.
(2018-10-18, 18:44)Moravia Wrote: My reading of the specs (and I am happy to be corrected) is that on paper, the Xbox One X should win Hands Down but in practice it is the other way round.
You read the specs correctly. It's a different class of performance. How much of that is exposed through the UWP platform is a different subject (and the relevant one).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
A 7 year old PC i have with kodi on is way faster than my Xbox one X, i just don't get the slowness of the menus and functions - When a movie is playing its fine tho. Feels like when we used HD skins on the orig. xbox but worse but hopefully over time it'll get better.
(2018-10-18, 18:44)Moravia Wrote: Just as an aside; accepting that Kodi on Xbox is very much in beta, I am staggered at the performance advantage in favour of the Shield 2018.  My reading of the specs (and I am happy to be corrected) is that on paper, the Xbox One X should win Hands Down but in practice it is the other way round.  

My experience with my Xbox One X has been much, much better than what you describe. Ignoring the 'all text goes missing' thing...

Playback of my movies takes 2-3 seconds tops to start. Thumbnail generation of chapter bookmarks take about 1 second each to generate the first time I open that menu during playback. Jumping to a chapter is instantaneous. Menus are very snappy.

I'm on a Synology NAS with four very hefty 7 TB drives. I rip my blurays as uncompressed MKV files to play them back. Connected through wifi from across the room through on NFS share. I've watched several long movies (Godfather I and II) with no stutter, no pauses, no blips at all.

I have one of those new fangled Atmos sound bars with HDMI passthrough and a Dolby Vision capable TV, so all the bells and whistles are turned on in the Xbox menus. I'm definitely getting sound from the two back channels on 5.1 streams. I'm not enough of an audiophile to know whether the sound is real or fake, but to my ears it sounds equivalent to the disc being in there (for 5.1, I haven't taken a really good listen to a rip with Atmos in it.)

Adjustments I've made in Kodi's settings:

Video render method: Software
Video allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2: On
Audo channels: 7.1
Audio output configuration: Optimized

During playback:

Video deinterlace method: DXVA
Video scaling method: auto

I'm on beta 5 now and am very happy with this setup, it's just as if the disc is in there. Not sure what could cause so many playback problems.

I initially bought the Xbox because it was one of the very few 4K disc players that supports both Dolby Atmos and Vision. Plus it plays games to boot.

I had my fingers crossed that it would be a good streamer but it wasn't a dealbreaker. But since Kodi has been working for me, I was able to eliminate my Apple TV and only have a single playback device now, which is nice. Maybe I was just lucky or I live in an area with good streaming hoodoo, but Kodi + Xbox One X has been great for me so far. If it wasn't for the 'text missing from UI' problem, I might even let my wife use it. Smile
(2018-10-17, 14:42)ashlar Wrote:
(2018-10-17, 04:50)jcwillia1 Wrote:
(2018-10-17, 03:35)aerogems Wrote:  It can do at least 5.1.2 for Atmos audio, but should also be able to do 7.1.2. 

Prove it.  
I don't have the equipment to prove it to you but, trying to think this through, if Atmos is being bitstreamed (there's no decoder on board for it, nothing decodes Atmos outside of AVRs, as far as I know), bitstreaming should provide you with what's in the original audio stream, shouldn't it? One would need an Atmos receiver, a 7.1.2 Atmos (7.1.4 should work too), and an UHD BluRay disc with a 7.1 Atmos soundrack to check it. 
 7.1 does not not pass through.  Period.  End of Story.  I've tested it every possible way.  Also I don't care because I bought a Shield which will do everything the XBox won't when it comes to movies.
If anybody is still reading this there is an idea drive on Xbox to vote for new features like audio passthrough etc. maybe we can get the votes up so Microsoft can take us seriously.

https://xboxideas.uservoice.com/forums/9...-media-pla
Almost 2020 Smile is there anything new in terms of Dolby Atmos via HDMI Bitstreaming on XBOX One X via Kodi?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Audio on Xbox One X0