• 5(current)
Solved XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion
I discussed that issue with fernetmenta a bit. The problem with "opt out" is that it might suck for some users with exactly that content that makes issues - they could just disable Mediacodec and Mediacodec Surface every time they play this problematic DVD (not nice, but a workaround). For "opt in" we don't have an option at all - means you have no chance to "force mediacodec" for those dvds, which renders you in a state where you cannot play these at all.

So current discussion goes towards an Expert-Setting: "Allow acceleration for DVD playback" that will be Android only, but off by default.

This setting is also only needed, cause for now no one wanted to fix the root cause - properly implementing Drain() in Decoder. But we are happy to get what is possible on this platform nowadays ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I am against such a setting. Either fix the root cause or leave it like it is
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I think such a setting makes sense. That's what the expert setting level is for after all.
Sorry but slapping another setting just because something is broken and then burying it in expert level is just plain wrong.

(2018-10-23, 07:09)fritsch Wrote: This setting is also only needed, cause for now no one wanted to fix the root cause - properly implementing Drain() in Decoder. But we are happy to get what is possible on this platform nowadays ...

Who was asked to fix it recently? Where was it even logged that this was something that needed fixing? Also no we are not happy to get whatever we want on this platform. Either do it properly or not all all else we revert back to whatever it was in the early days and that was a unmaintainable state
What I wonder is why SW decoding creates so much trouble. CPU usage indeed is quite high on the slow ARM:

txt:

User 60%, System 10%, IOW 0%, IRQ 0%
User 274 + Nice 1 + Sys 49 + Idle 126 + IOW 0 + IRQ 0 + SIRQ 1 = 451

PID USER     PR  NI CPU% S  #THR     VSS     RSS PCY Name
 7788 u0_a157  20   0  62% S    52 1386400K 280612K  ta org.xbmc.kodi
 1762 root     RT   0   2% D     1      0K      0K  fg MLVdo_thread
 1240 system   12  -8   1% S    25 142476K   6884K unk /system/bin/surfaceflinger

Drops and skips count up like crazy.

Playback log can be found here.
Please don't take this amiss, but I don't understand why you have to make such a scientific analysis out of such a small thing, only to restore the state as in Kodi 17, whether with an expert setting (which I would also welcome) or without.

If I compare pure playback functionality between Kodi 17 and 18, I don't see any groundbreaking improvements in Kodi 18 (apart from inputstream plugin). So why do you even want to destroy DVD playback on Android with your newest version?

Try to keep as many formats as possible playable on as many platforms as possible. Your Kodi fans will thank you as much as I will Wink
Since the Kodi team is not interested in a solution, I will stay on Kodi 17 and will not make any further messages here in the forum. Unfortunately, Kodi 18 does not have enough advantages to justify a change. For me unfortunately only disadvantages.
(2018-10-23, 18:40)rainman74 Wrote: Please don't take this amiss, but I don't understand why you have to make such a scientific analysis out of such a small thing, only to restore the state as in Kodi 17, whether with an expert setting (which I would also welcome) or without.

If I compare pure playback functionality between Kodi 17 and 18, I don't see any groundbreaking improvements in Kodi 18 (apart from inputstream plugin). So why do you even want to destroy DVD playback on Android with your newest version?

Try to keep as many formats as possible playable on as many platforms as possible. Your Kodi fans will thank you as much as I will Wink
 Seems you never have maintained a multi million users software project have you? Slapping another stupid setting to a software program is plain wrong and does not fix anything. The fact is there's a bug somewhere which some one that understands the problem needs to fix. Now the problem will be finding that some one and him/her having the time and spending the effort to fix it properly.
Since you don't seem to appreciate the effort of all other things that changed and improved you can just stop commenting for all i care.
(2018-06-19, 02:22)rainman74 Wrote: Delete please
Sorry, no. There are too many participants in this thread to delete the thread in its entirety. There is a lot of worthwhile information that should not be lost to deletion.

It is a shame you felt that you needed to remove your own remarks.

(2018-06-19, 02:22)rainman74 Wrote: Original post
Description
With the new nightly builds of v18 DVDs & VOB files are only played in slow motion!

Last working version
The last working build is unknown.

Tested on
Android ARM64
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-10-24, 22:57)Martijn Wrote:
(2018-10-23, 18:40)rainman74 Wrote: Please don't take this amiss, but I don't understand why you have to make such a scientific analysis out of such a small thing, only to restore the state as in Kodi 17, whether with an expert setting (which I would also welcome) or without.

Seems you never have maintained a multi million users software project have you? Slapping another stupid setting to a software program is plain wrong and does not fix anything. The fact is there's a bug somewhere which some one that understands the problem needs to fix. Now the problem will be finding that some one and him/her having the time and spending the effort to fix it properly.
Since you don't seem to appreciate the effort of all other things that changed and improved you can just stop commenting for all i care. 
I'm sorry, I was a bit angry because I can't use any more Kodi builds now and I really had provided a lot of details about the problem. Of course it's your decision! I'll stay on the old build now.

You're doing a good job anyway!
After internal discussion we are going with just enabling HW playback again and see where we end up and fix along the way. This will be in tomorrow's nightly
(2018-10-26, 21:09)Martijn Wrote: After internal discussion we are going with just enabling HW playback again and see where we end up and fix along the way. This will be in tomorrow's nightly
 Wow, that would be great, many thanks in advance!!!
DVDs run absolutely smoothly with the latest build kodi-20181027-ace36f69-master-arm64-v8a Smile

The navigation menu can also be used without errors.

Thanks again for the fix!
Hello, I recently updated from v17.6 Krypton to v18 Leia - Beta 5 and this problem is reproduced in beta5.

As I see that the date of the fix is before the beta 5, the questions are: Is it planned to put this fix in leia? Or is the fix already in beta5 and is it a particular problem with my device?

Thanks in advance.
the fix is in v18 beta5, so likely have another issue. Provide a Debug Log please
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion1