• 194(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I have Panasonic Viera and it seems like all the functions of CEC are implemented properly. TV turns itself on and off (after Shield starts and suspend), all IR keys from remote are functioning like they should.

All I'm saying is Shield is my first device, which is utilizing it out of the box. None of my previous gear worked (Windows mini PC, Linux Mint Asus laptop and Odroid C2 with Core Elec).
(2018-11-18, 15:51)raven66 Wrote: Yes, I know, but this the first box, in which it actually works.

Ah - all my Raspberry Pi-based LibreElec boxes do it, as do my AMLogic boxes. HOWEVER almost all the AMLogic boxes have a flawed implementation that means they jam the CEC bus and stop other devices signalling on/off or ARC audio working properly. The only solution for them is to physically disconnect them or remove the power (they jam in standby).  The Vero 4K/4K+ don't do this AIUI - and possibly not the ODroid C2. (It's something to do with uBoot CEC support?)
@wrxtasy 

I had to ask earlier (2017) but really forgot.
In Your list of boxes there is lack of Wetek Core.
Still have all advantyeges:
1. Dualboot
2. LE support
2. HD Audio
3. 1080p
4. Working Netflix and HBO GO.
5. Leia supports.
6. Old ARM (still working) but 2 GB Ram.

Except CPU rest is same or better then Wetek's Play2/Hub. I decided to buy Core for my parents instead of both next. For me is still one of the best.
Question for those using OSMC and LibreELEC: Has anybody tried running Android apps on these platforms? Since they are linux systems, I read you can now run android apps on them.

I know you cant get Netflix in ultraHD, but i was hoping youtube in HDR and a few other ones would be able to work on any AMlogic OsMC or LE device.

Thanks
The Amazon fire stick 4k has been mentioned here. How fast or slow is it compared to s905 or s912?

The Fire TV stick seems to have HDR support. I would like something with a little bit more cpu power than my Odroid c2. Could the Fire stick be a good replacement for Odroid c2?

The Fire stick, is it android based or has it some other OS?
(2018-11-26, 16:46)WeldSpark Wrote: The Amazon fire stick 4k has been mentioned here. How fast or slow is it compared to s905 or s912?

The Fire TV stick seems to have HDR support. I would like something with a little bit more cpu power than my Odroid c2. Could the Fire stick be a good replacement for Odroid c2?

The Fire TV Stick 4K runs Amazon's Fire OS - which is based on Android but is operationally a bit different. It's effectively an Amazon developed rival to Android TV, but based on Android.  There is an Amazon App Store rather than the Google Play store but you can side load Android applications from apk files.  The Micro USB power port supports USB 2.0 OTG cables and adaptors, so it is relatively straightforward to connect USB storage, hubs and Ethernet adaptors (though I don't know how supported non-FAT32-formatted devices are)

The Fire TV Stick 4K supports HDR10, Dolby Vision (and I think HDR10+) HDR formats from within its own applications, and Kodi/MrMC support HDR10 output. It supports DD, DD+, DD+ATMOS, PCM 5.1/7.1 and I think DTS output, but I haven't seen HD Audio bitstreamed (so True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA will need to be decoded to PCM, and there isn't support for True HD+Atmos or DTS:x?) It correctly switches frame rates.  I've seen some odd stuff happening around resolution switching.

HOWEVER - the Fire TV Stick 4K seems only to handle interlaced content properly in MPEG2, and doesn't seem to be that good with H264 interlaced video - so is a non-starter for Live/Recorded TV in much of Europe.  I've also hit some 1080i Blu-ray rips that defeat it.

It's very much a work in progress - but at £35 on Black Friday is a very good buy.  The addition of Volume and Mute buttons on the remote are great, as is Alexa integration if you are already in the Alexa ecosystem.

I haven't done anything that is particularly CPU-heavy - as although I'm a big Kodi user, I don't actually use the library functionality at all significantly, and always stick with a stock, Estuary, skin.
(2018-11-26, 17:39)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 16:46)WeldSpark Wrote: The Amazon fire stick 4k has been mentioned here. How fast or slow is it compared to s905 or s912?

The Fire TV Stick 4K runs Amazon's Fire OS - which is based on Android but is operationally a bit different. It's effectively an Amazon developed rival to Android TV, but based on Android.  There is an Amazon App Store rather than the Google Play store but you can side load Android applications from apk files.  The Micro USB power port supports USB 2.0 OTG cables and adaptors, so it is relatively straightforward to connect USB storage, hubs and Ethernet adaptors (though I don't know how supported non-FAT32-formatted devices are)

The Fire TV Stick 4K supports HDR10, Dolby Vision (and I think HDR10+) HDR formats from within its own applications, and Kodi/MrMC support HDR10 output. It supports DD, DD+, DD+ATMOS, PCM 5.1/7.1 and I think DTS output, but I haven't seen HD Audio bitstreamed (so True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA will need to be decoded to PCM, and there isn't support for True HD+Atmos or DTS:x?) It correctly switches frame rates.  I've seen some odd stuff happening around resolution switching.

HOWEVER - the Fire TV Stick 4K seems only to handle interlaced content properly in MPEG2, and doesn't seem to be that good with H264 interlaced video - so is a non-starter for Live/Recorded TV in much of Europe.  I've also hit some 1080i Blu-ray rips that defeat it.

It's very much a work in progress - but at £35 on Black Friday is a very good buy.  The addition of Volume and Mute buttons on the remote are great, as is Alexa integration if you are already in the Alexa ecosystem.

I haven't done anything that is particularly CPU-heavy - as although I'm a big Kodi user, I don't actually use the library functionality at all significantly, and always stick with a stock, Estuary, skin.
What would you recommend as a upgrade to my Odroid c2? I have a 4k TV, but most of my content is 1080. But I really would like a upgrade.

Maybe a s912 device?
(2018-11-26, 18:09)WeldSpark Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 17:39)noggin Wrote:

What would you recommend as a upgrade to my Odroid c2? I have a 4k TV, but most of my content is 1080. But I really would like a upgrade.

Maybe a s912 device? 

What does your C2 not do currently that you want to do?
(2018-11-26, 16:46)WeldSpark Wrote: I would like something with a little bit more cpu power than my Odroid c2. Could the Fire stick be a good replacement for Odroid c2?

You can tweak the very last bit of performance out of the C2 by Overclocking the CPU and GPU safely.
Hint tweak the boot.ini on the SD card or eMMC file and set either 1.6 or 1.7 GHz.

Then also install THIS (click) optimised LE 8.2.4.2 .tar update and also go into....
Kodi Settings > System > AMLogic > set GPU clock rate 792MHz

A USB mini dongle Wireless remote makes a hell of a difference to any media player's responsiveness.

(2018-11-26, 18:16)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 16:46)WeldSpark Wrote: I would like something with a little bit more cpu power than my Odroid c2. Could the Fire stick be a good replacement for Odroid c2?

You can tweak the very last bit of performance out of the C2 by Overclocking the CPU and GPU safely.
Hint tweak the boot.ini on the SD card or eMMC file and set either 1.6 or 1.7 GHz.

Then also install THIS (click) optimised LE 8.2.4.2 .tar update and also go into....
Kodi Settings > System > AMLogic > set GPU clock rate 792MHz

A USB mini dongle Wireless remote makes a hell of a difference to any media player's responsiveness.

So it's not worth to upgrade performance wise, to let's say a s912? Will I see any difference in speed? Some of my add-ons are part time cpu heavy, they do work on my Odroid but would be nice with a little more boost.

I need to buy a new one, planning to use my old odroid c2 in the bedroom. But then I want something better than I have today.
Double post
@noggin It does everything I want, but I'm planning to buy a new device for my living room and use the odroid in my bedroom.

It wouldn't hurt to buying something faster/better with hdr support.
(2018-11-26, 18:36)WeldSpark Wrote: So it's not worth to upgrade performance wise, to let's say a s912? Will I see any difference in speed? Some of my add-ons are part time cpu heavy, they do work on my Odroid but would be nice with a little more boost.

I need to buy a new one, planning to use my old odroid c2 in the bedroom. But then I want something better than I have today.

Ultimately CPU intensive Kodi needs Intel iron if you really want snappiness. It's single Core CPU performance is what you want for Python scripted Kodi Addons and Skins, and Intel does that well vs cheap ARM microarchitecture.

The A10X Fusion in the recent Apple TV 4K is the most impressive ARM chipset on the market, it's a bit of a beast !

S912's will be a little bit quicker, but not much at all vs the tweaked C2. Especially if the C2 is already using eMMC flash storage. THIS S912 combo would be cost effective.

Otherwise consider a NVIDIA Shield, that will definately run Kodi v19 M when heading into future Kodi.
Just make sure you can return it if you are one of those unlucky users that has a 4K HDR TV that cannot handle SDR content combined with the colorspace conversion the Shield uses.

Kodi Leia gives ARM devices a bit of a speedup bump as well.

(2018-11-26, 18:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 18:36)WeldSpark Wrote: So it's not worth to upgrade performance wise, to let's say a s912? Will I see any difference in speed? Some of my add-ons are part time cpu heavy, they do work on my Odroid but would be nice with a little more boost.

Ultimately CPU intensive Kodi needs Intel iron if you really want snappiness. It's single Core CPU performance is what you want for Python scripted Kodi Addons and Skins, and Intel does that well vs cheap ARM microarchitecture.

The A10X Fusion in the recent Apple TV 4K is the most impressive ARM chipset on the market, it's a bit of a beast !

S912's will be a little bit quicker, but not much at all vs the tweaked C2. Especially if the C2 is already using eMMC flash storage. THIS S912 combo would be cost effective.

Otherwise consider a NVIDIA Shield, that will definately run Kodi v19 M when heading into future Kodi.
Just make sure you can return it if you are one of those unlucky users that has a 4K HDR TV that cannot handle SDR content combined with the colorspace conversion the Shield uses.

Thank you!

Well Apple TV is not my cup of tea. Nvidia shield is probably the next step if I want a bigger performance bump.

I don't know if my TV is affected I have a Sony 65xf9005?

So next kodi release will make my current devices a bit faster, but s912 won't get that probably. So what I have to choose between is s905 or a Nvidia shield. It's twice the price of a s905 or s912. But with Nvidia shield I will be more future proof.

X86 hardware is quite pricey, I think I will skip that.
(2018-11-26, 21:20)WeldSpark Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 18:49)wrxtasy Wrote:

Thank you!

Well Apple TV is not my cup of tea. Nvidia shield is probably the next step if I want a bigger performance bump.

I don't know if my TV is affected I have a Sony 65xf9005?

So next kodi release will make my current devices a bit faster, but s912 won't get that probably. So what I have to choose between is s905 or a Nvidia shield. It's twice the price of a s905 or s912. But with Nvidia shield I will be more future proof.

X86 hardware is quite pricey, I think I will skip that.
I was in your shoes. Was looking for a budget solution. Can tell you, if you want best value for X piece of money, consider Nvidia Shield.
  • 194(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28