• 12(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
ok so DV is no option at the moment ;(

Whats about the rest - would the AMD handle 4k 60hz hdr ? and What about an nuc?
HDR on Intel/AMD (and nVidia GPUs) is still very WIP - and limited to Windows currently.   A large number of us are using other solutions for HDR - as there are <£150 solutions that play 2160p50 and 2160p60 10-bit HEVC content with HDR10 output with far fewer hassles than a Windows equivalent (and for a lot less money).  These solutions aren't perfect either - but they are cheaper. As a result I think they get more Kodi fire-power aimed at them for HDR.

Some NUCs (and other x86 barebones systems) had Displayport 1.2->HDMI 2.0 conversion internally to handle 2160p60 and 2160p50 output, as HDMI 1.4 was limited to 2160p30 and below.  This caused issues with HD Audio and/or HDR (and 3D for those still interested in that) in some cases on some platforms. 

You'll find a lot of love for AMLogic S905X/D and S912 platforms running Libre/CoreElec (or OSMC) here and nVidia Shield TV too.
so for "low cost" the best solution seems to be the nvidia shield.
(2018-11-25, 18:20)dilu Wrote: so for "low cost" the best solution seems to be the nvidia shield.
If you don't need Netflix and Amazon Prime - then I'd look at the Vero 4K+ running OSMC or other AMLogic S905X/D solutions running LibreElec (the S912 is also good but the GPU drivers on it are a bit non-standard and if not replaced may mean it isn't compatible with Kodi 19).  The Shield TV may still cause some issues with some people wrt Rec 709/2020 gamut content.
(2018-11-25, 18:20)dilu Wrote: so for "low cost" the best solution seems to be the nvidia shield.

Summing up the current 4K HDR10 crop:

X86_64 inc. AMD - Windows only - HDR10 support -->> see Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows thread (click) for current status.
Not a Plug n Play solution. Unsure if that combo does auto colorspace switching or you have to manually fiddle around all the time.

NVIDIA Shield - will be OK for 4K HDR10 only, but some demanding users report issues with washed out color output when viewing regular SDR content on various 4K HDR displays. Unless you manually fiddle with Android OS display settings all the time for mixed SDR / 4K HDR usage.

Make sure you can return the device if you cannot put up with such ongoing issues, any fix will NOT come from NVIDIA that quickly.
See Post #1 of this thread that has all the links discussing such Shield issues.

Both combo's are the ones to consider if you use really demanding graphically intensive Skins like Aeon Madnox, due to the powerful GPU's in such devices that can draw graphic user interfaces really quickly.

AMLogic S905D or S912 devices (Gigabit ethernet / 1000M only devices for 4K HDR & Atmos):

DIY S912 devices will be the fastest when running LibreELEC Krypton or CoreELEC Leia - but LE / CE (Linux) Kodi support may finish at Kodi Leia due GPU drivers used.
Great bang for the buck - suggested combo - something like THIS (click) or a MINIX U9 (A2 lite remote is highly recommended - works with everything)
There is good Open Source coding work happening to write compatible Linux GPU drivers for such S912 devices - so who knows what will eventuate by this time next year for Kodi v19 M use.

Otherwise consider the S905D devices like the really well supported Vero 4K+ or the DIY MECOOL Ki Pro, those will have a longer term Kodi future.
Read the Vero4K+ support forums for any current issues.

Don't need Bluray Atmos audio and want to dip your toe in 4K HDR -->> the cheap - 2018 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K with a USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet adapter
OR
Really the easiest 4K HDR (no Bluray Atmos) - Plug n Play solution of the entire lot with really only minor issues -->> the Apple TV 4K. Smile

W.

(2018-11-26, 03:56)wrxtasy Wrote: X86_64 inc. AMD - Windows only - HDR10 support -->> see Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows thread (click) for current status.
Not a Plug n Play solution. Unsure if that combo does auto colorspace switching or you have to manually fiddle around all the time.
I may be wrong - but I don't think Windows currently does EOTF switching, let alone colour gamut switching? I think that you select HDR10 EOTF (i.e. ST.2084 PQ) output at the OS level - then everything is output in HDR10? (With SDR Rec 709, and Rec 2020?, mapped into a Rec 2020 HDR10 output?) nVidia had SDR/HDR switching which pre-dated official MS HDR support, but now that MS has an HDR approach (i.e. on or off at OS level) then I think this may be deprecated?
Quote:NVIDIA Shield - will be OK for 4K HDR10 only, but some demanding users report issues with washed out color output when viewing regular SDR content on various 4K HDR displays. Unless you manually fiddle with Android OS display settings all the time for mixed SDR / 4K HDR usage.

Yes - it appears that this is a display/Shield interaction issue on TVs that don't do what is expected when fed SDR Rec 2020 content (as the Shield TV will map SDR Rec 709 into SDR Rec 2020 colour space) With the latest firmware the Shield is following the correct standards recommendations for mapping SDR 709 into SDR 2020 according to @wesk05, but some displays don't handle SDR 2020 as per the standards?

In theory there is no reason why permanent Rec 2020 colour gamut output should be an issue, but if you have a TV that doesn't follow specs as expected this is probably not a consolation.
Quote:Make sure you can return the device if you cannot put up with such ongoing issues, any fix will NOT come from NVIDIA that quickly.
See Post #1 of this thread that has all the links discussing such Shield issues.

Isn't this a display issue, not nVidia's, to fix? Or are you suggesting that nVidia introduce Rec 709/Rec 2020 gamut switching? Not sure that will happen - they've obviously decided on a fixed colour gamut output approach. (Or Android/Google have)
Quote:Both combo's are the ones to consider if you use really demanding graphically intensive Skins like Aeon Madnox, due to the powerful GPU's in such devices that can draw graphic user interfaces really quickly.

AMLogic S905D or S912 devices (Gigabit ethernet / 1000M only devices for 4K HDR & Atmos):

DIY S912 devices will be the fastest when running LibreELEC Krypton or CoreELEC Leia - but LE / CE (Linux) Kodi support may finish at Kodi Leia due GPU drivers used.
Great bang for the buck - suggested combo - something like THIS (click) or a MINIX U9 (A2 lite remote is highly recommended - works with everything)
There is good Open Source coding work happening to write compatible Linux GPU drivers for such S912 devices - so who knows what will eventuate by this time next year for Kodi v19 M use.

Otherwise consider the S905D devices like the really well supported Vero 4K+ or the DIY MECOOL Ki Pro, those will have a longer term Kodi future.
Read the Vero4K+ support forums for any current issues.

Don't need Bluray Atmos audio and want to dip your toe in 4K HDR -->> the cheap - 2018 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K with a USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet adapter
OR

Yep - but not without issues when handling anything interlaced, particularly H264 Live TV or 1080i Blu-ray rips. It's very early days with the Fire TV Stick 4K.

Quote:Really the easiest 4K HDR (no Bluray Atmos) - Plug n Play solution of the entire lot with really only minor issues -->> the Apple TV 4K. Smile

W. 

Yep - though the ATV 4K currently only runs MrMC - which is a fork of Kodi Krypton, modified to gain App Store approval from Apple. There are ways of sideloading full Kodi but they are non-trivial.

The ATV4K is fantastic for Netflix and Amazon Prime, and many other Catch Up TV apps. Personally I prefer it toe the Shield TV for these applications due to dynamic frame-rate switching being supported properly by the apps on this platform. I don't recommend it for Kodi, simply because it doesn't really run Kodi. (Have the HDR10 metadata pass through issues been fixed on it now? ISTR that there was a permanent fixed metadata output on HDR10 content from MrMC that could mean tonemapping - to cope with HDR highlights outside your display's capabilities - could be compromised?)
(2018-11-26, 13:05)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 03:56)wrxtasy Wrote: X86_64 inc. AMD - Windows only - HDR10 support -->> see Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows thread (click) for current status.
I may be wrong - but I don't think Windows currently does EOTF switching, let alone colour gamut switching? I think that you select HDR10 EOTF (i.e. ST.2084 PQ) output at the OS level - then everything is output in HDR10? (With SDR Rec 709, and Rec 2020?, mapped into a Rec 2020 HDR10 output?) nVidia had SDR/HDR switching which pre-dated official MS HDR support, but now that MS has an HDR approach (i.e. on or off at OS level) then I think this may be deprecated?  
 Most Kodi Windows users are using madVR with Kodi DSPlayer or core Kodi combined with MPC as an external player for HDR10 content. madVR handles gamma and color space switching automatically via software APIs from AMD and Nvidia. It is dedicated video software on Windows that covers all the basics for video processing plus additional tasks like tone mapping and 3D LUTs. DSPlayer may not have a v18, so it is not a great solution compared to other actively-developed Kodi boxes.
(2018-11-26, 14:45)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 13:05)noggin Wrote:
 Most Kodi Windows users are using madVR with Kodi DSPlayer or core Kodi combined with MPC as an external player for HDR10 content. madVR handles gamma and color space switching automatically via software APIs from AMD and Nvidia. It is dedicated video software on Windows that covers all the basics for video processing plus additional tasks like tone mapping and 3D LUTs. DSPlayer may not have a v18, so it is not a great solution compared to other actively-developed Kodi boxes. 
Ah - so AMD/nVidia are offering APIs that allow gamut and OETF switching, but Intel aren't?  I had read that some thought that the nVidia switching API may be deprecated in preference of the Windows approach - but maybe this isn't the case?
No, the Nvidia and AMD APIs for HDR metadata passthrough will keep going indefinitely. Nvidia, at least, is testing HDR passthrough with MPC before releasing new drivers. But it has still failed a couple of times for both AMD and Nvidia. The whole thing depends on working GPU drivers. Unfortunately, this would never work for Kodi and I don't know how long it will take before HDR video on PC is popular enough to warrant improving HDR video playback on Windows.
Just curious, would I have to hook my client to the router/server via Ethernet for 4K HDR or can I just stream wirelessly on my home network? It’s kinda of not possible at my residence at the moment because it’s like shared wifi.
(2018-11-27, 13:18)cv15xbmc Wrote: Just curious, would I have to hook my client to the router/server via Ethernet for 4K HDR or can I just stream wirelessly on my home network? It’s kinda of not possible at my residence at the moment because it’s like shared wifi.

WiFi =

For 4K HDR Bluray Rips streaming...
Use Gigabit Ethernet on your network and your Gigabit equipped 4K HDR Media player.

Hello,

which is the best option for good deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing with Kodi PVR?
(2018-12-19, 13:33)teD77 Wrote: Hello,

which is the best option for good deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing with Kodi PVR?

Best = decent spec Intel hardware because it also has the CPU ponies to do high quality SD > HD - CPU software upscaling using Lanczos3 - optimised.
The Apple TV 4K using the MrMC App is also very good.
Following that is the LibreELEC / CoreELEC AMLogic S8xx and S9xx devices, the Raspberry Pi's and the NVIDIA Shield.

The Channels PVR App & a HDHomerun can also be used on the Apple TV 4K and the NVIDIA Shield.

It looks like the ODROID-H2 will never support 4K HDR10 EDIT in hardware /EDIT because of the Intel UHD Graphics 600 iGPU.
4K HDR10 is only supported from Intel UHD Graphics 620 and better :
Windows : "Only processors with Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Intel HD Graphics 620 (and better) support 4K HDR streaming after installation of the driver."
LibreELEC will support Intel UHD Graphics 620 only from v10 : "LE 10.0 is far enough out that it should be a safe 'yes' and LE 9.0 is a definite 'no' but hopefully one of the interim LE 9.x releases we make between them will add support to the K18 codebase."

I'm crossing another x86 SBC off my list. Not much left. So it will get expensive because I have to move up to NUC level. : UDOO BOLT, Sapphire FS-FP5V, Intel NUC, Partaker B18. Or a mini-ITX or mini-SFX desktop.
Nvidia shield developers have added colorspace switching as a developer option in the latest 7.2.2 beta for people to test.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209