• 105(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
I'm not part of the beta testing program personally but it is possible that beta testers are required to sign a NDA thus the reason for limited details. That's how it was when I used to beta test for Roku at least. Or maybe it is completely speculation...only time will tell.
This is all around it works like a charm in gaming, streaming online and it's super easy to install.
If their upscaler works as well as the appletv’s, ill go back to it.. for all apps that is..
Hi, I make documentaries and for me the narrating voice is important and I need to listen it well. But I don't know how I can config my Kodi or Shield.
I watch my videos with Shield TV and Sony Bravia 65" TV. I have an Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier with 2 front speakers (tweter), one central frontal speaker for the voice, a subwoofer and two rear speakers.
I shoot with a GH5 and make videoediting with Edius 9. I make videos with 2 channel (stereo). How can I config. Kodi or Shield TV to listen the best audio and above all of the narrating voice?
I am not an expert in audio and I hope someone can give me some precise advices because I don't really like listening audio of my documentaries with Kodi.
Thanks
(2018-12-08, 01:15)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi, I make documentaries and for me the narrating voice is important and I need to listen it well. But I don't know how I can config my Kodi or Shield.
I watch my videos with Shield TV and Sony Bravia 65" TV. I have an Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier with 2 front speakers (tweter), one central frontal speaker for the voice, a subwoofer and two rear speakers.
I shoot with a GH5 and make videoediting with Edius 9. I make videos with 2 channel (stereo). How can I config. Kodi or Shield TV to listen the best audio and above all of the narrating voice?
I am not an expert in audio and I hope someone can give me some precise advices because I don't really like listening audio of my documentaries with Kodi.
Thanks
If you are mixing your videos in stereo, you should play them in stereo and make sure your NR545 is in Stereo (not any surround and not 'All Channel Stereo') mode or 'Direct' or similar if you have it.  You just want audio from your front left and front right speakers if you want to listen to stereo IN stereo.  You should hear silence from the centre and rear speakers when listening to stereo correctly.

If you are making your videos just to watch at home - then I'd probably use 48KHz PCM audio as my export audio format in Edius if possible, rather than compressing to AAC or MP3 etc.  (16 bit should be fine - though there is nothing stopping you using 24 bit)

I'd ensure Kodi is running with speaker configuration of 2.0 if you only listen to your own 2.0 (i.e. stereo) videos.
Hi noggin, I thank you for your reply. Yes, I use 48KHz, 2 channel, 24bit in Edius 9. But if I have a surround set, is it better I make a different audio settings on Edius 9?
I other words: if you had the same my audio system at home, how would you make the audio of a video file? Would you make the audio in a simple stereo? Is this the best option to hear a good sound?
I thought that listening to the voice in the central speaker was the best option because that speaker is dedicated to the voice. But maybe I make an error.
(2018-12-08, 09:59)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi noggin, I thank you for your reply. Yes, I use 48KHz, 2 channel, 24bit in Edius 9. But if I have a surround set, is it better I make a different audio settings on Edius 9?
I other words: if you had the same my audio system at home, how would you make the audio of a video file? Would you make the audio in a simple stereo? Is this the best option to hear a good sound?
I thought that listening to the voice in the central speaker was the best option because that speaker is dedicated to the voice. But maybe I make an error.
 If you are only making the videos to watch at home, on a 5.1 audio system, and are confident you have the skills to mix them in 5.1 in Edius, then you could mix them in 5.1.

However editing and mixing in 5.1 adds a level of skill and complication to your workflow and requires good audio skill.  Do you have a 5.1 speaker set-up on Edius?   I wouldn't want to edit audio in 5.1 on an editing system I didn't monitor in 5.1.  To export I'd probably encode them in 5.1 Dolby Digital at ~448kbs or 640kbs if I were using 5.1.  It is possible to use PCM - but it is also possible for PCM channel mappings to differ (meaning you could end up with your centre channel and your sub-woofer channel getting crossed over)

However if you are making the videos for other people to play, or don't have decent 5.1 monitoring for your Edius set-up, I'd keep them stereo.
Just updated to 7.2. I can't actually tell if the automatic change in colour mode is working because my TV still says BT.2020 when playing SDR videos.

i cant see any difference honestly.

whats the best way to do this? leave the shield on the recommended settings?
Well it's turns out the the auto colour switch didn't actually make it -
sniper Wrote:The auto mode switch feature is not in 7.2.
i wanted to see if maybe high-res 5.1 FLAC was fixed, the answer is yes.. at least with PlexForKodi, and Emby. here are my test results with 5.1 Flac at 24bit/96kHz.   

Plex: Plays as 2.0 @ 48kHz.  
PlexForKodi: Plays as 5.1 @ 96kHz. i don't know if it's possible to check bitrate with my hardware, is it possible within the app?  
Emby: Plays as 5.1 @ 96kHz. again i don't know how to check bitrate.

so if i'm not mistaken, it looks like whatever prevented high-res 5.1 FLAC from working before is now fixed
So it seems what people wanted to see in a new update just isn’t there yet with 7.2

Auto colour space and refresh rate switching across all apps

But it’s nice to see they’ve actually upgraded the kernel to 4.9! I’m sure that’ll enable some newer features in future updates.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
Anyone notice any image scaling improvements with 7.2? This update still seems like a features release yet again, than any tangible picture quality improvements. It seems like the PQ got worse to me so I had to Factory Reset my TV and start from scratch in order to "dial it in again", which I'm still working at. But its nice to see NVIDIA still supporting this device, if not unprecedented. Now standing at 21 updates, just wow. Wish our Smart Phones got the same level of support, haha.
(2018-12-13, 03:21)ars92 Wrote: So it seems what people wanted to see in a new update just isn’t there yet with 7.2

Auto colour space and refresh rate switching across all apps

But it’s nice to see they’ve actually upgraded the kernel to 4.9! I’m sure that’ll enable some newer features in future updates.
I read 4.9 was required in order to enable SMBv3 support.
Does the 3rd party Bluetooth remotes work now and not loose connection each day?

I saw in the notes that there are some Bluetooth fixes, but not tested yet myself.
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188