• 3(current)
v18 Timeshift and NextPVR on the latest Nightlies
(2018-12-24, 01:48)emveepee Wrote: There was a patch submitted that will likely solve the problem with immediate hangs on live TV with timeshifting enabled.  It fixes other problems with timeshifting but it is not bullet proof.

Martin
"Likely" "not bullet proof" Sad
Fingers crossed!
Is this changed scheduled to be in the next RC version?
Happen to have a ticket so we can follow & comment on?

Also, I tried disabling timeshift in Kodi because it was so bad that nearly everytime I paused tv Kodi froze up and I had to pull the plug to fix! However, disabling timeshift didn't seem to disable it at all!! (Yes I restarted Kodi after making the change). With it disabled I was still able to pause & resume live tv!

While I would love for time shift to work, at least fixing the time shift disable button so I don't have to unplug my Amazon fire tv everyone I stop/pause live TV would be great. Stop/pause is necessary else the steam continues & I go over my Comcast data cap!!

BTW I couldn't find anything in next pvr backed settings to disable time shift. And I've had all of these issues with all liua Kodi versions: alpha, rc1 & rc2.

Thanks!!
In nextpvr add on, go to settings->advanced and turn off enable time shift option. Then restart Kodi, it should work without issues...
If you still got option to pause after disabling the time shift in the add on then most likely your previous config of Kodi was in effect...
Try to do the change, close Kodi, close all programs and restart the box to be sure...
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15082 This is a very similar ticket I created, but got closed because I had banned add-ons. I went out of town, came back & was too late. Unfortunate devs close tickets even tho ticket creating policy on the wiki doesn't mention anything about logs having banned addons, and then only give you 3 days to reproduce. It took me 3 weeks just to get those logs!! And then I get comments like we only have so much time...and so do the testers like myself! It's a community!! (I am a developer as well, but in the kodi context, I'm a tester. So I do know how it is. But an application like this is only as good & willing as both the devs & testers!) I respect everyone's time, just wish it went the other way around. Unfortunately as of now, my efforts to make Kodi better have turned out to be a waste of time seeing as how quickly the Devs closed the ticket pretending it was a non issue over undocumented policy. Oh well. I won't give up quite as easily since I do believe in Kodi Smile

Bit of a rant I know, but until I ran into this thread, I gave up on nextpvr & Kodi. So thanks for changing my mind and your work: devs AND testers!!

All details in the ticket. It's relevant because regardless of the next pvr feature: time shift, channel buffering, etc, kodis player eventually locks up, & causes entire Kodi application/UI to lockup, thus requires a hard restart to resolve. So I do admit we can't pinpoint why these features don't work (Kodi? Nextpvr? Network?)...BUT kodi, it's UI, & player should be stable enough to handle these issues so we don't have to hard restart everytime there's a quirk.

Hopefully either my logs in that ticket help, or others can reopen my ticket with their logs.

Thanks again!
I did this in both Firetvs I had. I was so surprised I even restarted the fire tv, still was able to pause live TV! Went back, reenabled, same thing. I figured it was a bug... That's why I began exploring a way to do it on the back end (nothing yet).

I haven't tried on RC3 or newer however...
(2018-12-24, 10:25)kevin71246 Wrote: I did this in both Firetvs I had. I was so surprised I even restarted the fire tv, still was able to pause live TV! Went back, reenabled, same thing. I figured it was a bug... That's why I began exploring a way to do it on the back end (nothing yet).

I haven't tried on RC3 or newer however...
I just tried this over the weekend...my two TV boxes are on android (lollipop) and the only way I can see live TV is by disabling time shifting in nextpvr addon... my main TV uses a windows box and there time shift works fine...
(2018-12-24, 10:22)kevin71246 Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15082 This is a very similar ticket I created, but got closed because I had banned add-ons. I went out of town, came back & was too late. Unfortunate devs close tickets even tho ticket creating policy on the wiki doesn't mention anything about logs having banned addons, and then only give you 3 days to reproduce. It took me 3 weeks just to get those logs!! And then I get comments like we only have so much time...and so do the testers like myself! It's a community!! (I am a developer as well, but in the kodi context, I'm a tester. So I do know how it is. But an application like this is only as good & willing as both the devs & testers!) I respect everyone's time, just wish it went the other way around. Unfortunately as of now, my efforts to make Kodi better have turned out to be a waste of time seeing as how quickly the Devs closed the ticket pretending it was a non issue over undocumented policy. Oh well. I won't give up quite as easily since I do believe in Kodi Smile

Bit of a rant I know, but until I ran into this thread, I gave up on nextpvr & Kodi. So thanks for changing my mind and your work: devs AND testers!!

All details in the ticket. It's relevant because regardless of the next pvr feature: time shift, channel buffering, etc, kodis player eventually locks up, & causes entire Kodi application/UI to lockup, thus requires a hard restart to resolve. So I do admit we can't pinpoint why these features don't work (Kodi? Nextpvr? Network?)...BUT kodi, it's UI, & player should be stable enough to handle these issues so we don't have to hard restart everytime there's a quirk.

Hopefully either my logs in that ticket help, or others can reopen my ticket with their logs.

Thanks again!
Thsnks. What debug logs did you enable?
You need to be using 3.3.8 or higher of the add-on and then upload your good Kodi debug logs.  Logs from earlier versions are not needed

The rules are very clear on banned add-ons and reports without debug logs let's not waste any more time on that.  It's hard to get to the meat of the discussion.  Saying you have the same problem is meaningless with all the platforms out there.

Martin
(2018-12-24, 02:53)davel Wrote: "Likely" "not bullet proof" Sad
Fingers crossed!
 There are three separate issues I am aware of that need to be considered

1.  initial timeshift freezes (seems to be mainly Android) should be fixed in 3.3.8
2.  addon always reports that timeshifting is enabled
3.  seeking freezes

Martin
(2018-12-24, 16:04)emveepee Wrote:
Fingers crossed!

1.  initial timeshift freezes (seems to be mainly Android) should be fixed in 3.3.8
3.  seeking freezes

Martin  
 Thanks Martin, in windows nexpvr addon 3.3.8 is in effect already and it works. However in Android I see version of nextpvr addon is 2.4.13 by Graeme Blackley...is this soon going to be updated, or should we manually install Android version from somewhere?
Responses & Comments to the above:
*I'm NOT trying to debate the whole "create logs with NO banned add-ons", but DO want to clarify it for future users so no more time is wasted. Here's the process I followed where there is no mention of this: When you open a ticket on GitHub (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/new?..._report.md), it has a link in the template that takes you here: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Submit_a_bug_report . On this entire Wiki page, you can do a search for "ban", nothing shows up. I read it all again, nothing about banned add-ons.  So perhaps we/I add a line at the top with this instruction?

*I didn't say I had the same exact issue in that ticket, but here's where it's related and why I mentioned it: Tying in NextPVR is unstable & locks up Kodi.  Here's my comment with details: "It's relevant because regardless of the next pvr feature: time shift, channel buffering, etc, kodis player eventually locks up, & causes entire Kodi application/UI to lockup, thus requires a hard restart to resolve. So I do admit we can't pinpoint why these features don't work (Kodi? Nextpvr? Network?)...BUT kodi, it's UI, & player should be stable enough to handle these issues so we don't have to hard restart everytime there's a quirk."

*In that ticket, I enabled ALL addon debugging - basically all debugging I could find within Kodi in Settings.

*I have the NextPVR addon ver 3.3.4 by Graeme Blackey.  I just did an update again now and that version stays the same. I have Kodi RC3.  Not sure how else to update that, but I'll try the Kodi nightly build now to see if its updates to 3.3.8.

*As just indicated above, I'll update Kodi to the latest nightly (kodi-20181223-cc5fb973-master-arm64-v8a.apk) & report of any issues, or fixes.  Also, I'm using a FireTv (not stick), therefore Android, with a 64bit Kodi build.

*I am able to get live TV to work regardless of TimeShit enable or disabled, which is a different experience than aderlopas mentioned.  And as I indicated above, disabling timeshift has no effect for me (I can pause & resume in exact spot regardless of it being enabled or disabled)

Again, thanks for helping & Merry Christmas (eve)!!
Fingers crossed!

3.  seeking freezes

Martin 
I would add:
* ANY of these issues eventually lead to Kodi/UI locking up requiring a hard restart
4. NextPVR channel live streams that buffer, sometimes lead to Kodi locking up
5. Bad NextPVR channel stream (non existent URL), sometimes leads to Kodi locking up

(I know this is the hardest part in troubleshooting this, but my issues are intermittent, not sure about others.  So trying to reproduce can be a pain, which is why it was so hard for me to get my first set of logs.)
Thanks!
(2018-12-24, 19:17)kevin71246 Wrote:
Fingers crossed!

3.  seeking freezes

Martin  
I would add:
* ANY of these issues eventually lead to Kodi/UI locking up requiring a hard restart
4. NextPVR channel live streams that buffer, sometimes lead to Kodi locking up
5. Bad NextPVR channel stream (non existent URL), sometimes leads to Kodi locking up

(I know this is the hardest part in troubleshooting this, but my issues are intermittent, not sure about others.  So trying to reproduce can be a pain, which is why it was so hard for me to get my first set of logs.)
Thanks! 
2 more things:
*I managed to get 3.3.8 on both FireTVs, but only after updating to kodi-20181223-cc5fb973-master-arm64-v8a.apk (RC3 indicated there was no update, only 3.3.4).  Kodi/UI locks up after you update to the point you need to hard restart.  I'm not sure if Kodi is to blame or NextPVR add-on.  Its stuck at 0% loading TV guide in upper right corner after you update.  You can actually easily reproduce the lockup, even if you're already on latest 3.3.8 version: Update (again) to 3.3.8, let it finish, watch 0% loading message in upper right, give up after waiting, press back button a few times to get to main Kodi screen -> locked up
*I went over my Comcast 1TB limit this month.  My guess is when I press the pause button in Kodi when I'm done watching to pause live tv (stop doesnt do anything different than pause), the NextPVR backend continues to download the channel stream (IPTV).  With the Timeshift disable not working, I'm not sure of a way to prevent this.  Now I'm not sure if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here, if others have an easy solution, or if this is a feature request(?), but going over my data cap because Kodi doesnt actually cause the NextPVR stream to stop streaming isn't good.  I know a PITA solution would be to power off Kodi after I'm done watching, but there must be a better solution.

Thanks again!!
(2018-12-24, 19:56)kevin71246 Wrote: *I managed to get 3.3.8 on both FireTVs, but only after updating to kodi-20181223-cc5fb973-master-arm64-v8a.apk (RC3 indicated there was no update, only 3.3.4).  Kodi/UI locks up after you update to the point you need to hard restart.  I'm not sure if Kodi is to blame or NextPVR add-on.  Its stuck at 0% loading TV guide in upper right corner after you update.  You can actually easily reproduce the lockup, even if you're already on latest 3.3.8 version: Update (again) to 3.3.8, let it finish, watch 0% loading message in upper right, give up after waiting, press back button a few times to get to main Kodi screen -> locked up
It might be worth seeing if this problem is limited to Kodi on Android. Do you have a Windows PC you can run Kodi up on, to see if it has the same issue?

I'm the author of the plugin, with help from others recently, since I don't use Kodi myself. Personally I only ever run up Kodi on Windows, but the code is there for anyone that wants to investigate issues specific to other platforms though.
@kevin71246

Your posts are becoming difficult to read and to separate the quotes from your responses. If you want to quote text from another post, follow Steps 1, 2 and 3 in the image below...

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeshift and NextPVR on the latest Nightlies0