• 171(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
It was only to point out that there is a bug in the last build because the write access is allowed only with FAT32 but not with NTFS, while with Marshmallow it was allowed with NTFS too.
Received the first test build for auto switching refresh rate. It does work in Kodi. I don’t see the switching delay in other apps. Any idea how to test it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...for_mibox/
(2018-12-28, 23:00)generalmilk Wrote: Received the first test build for auto switching refresh rate. It does work in Kodi. I don’t see the switching delay in other apps. Any idea how to test it?

Rofl  Great news, I was waiting for a long time
(2018-12-28, 23:00)generalmilk Wrote: Received the first test build for auto switching refresh rate. It does work in Kodi. I don’t see the switching delay in other apps. Any idea how to test it?

Use the suite of video files continued in FPS_Tests_r3.zip (click) to look for smooth video playback after a TV refresh switches.

Kodi setup should be Settings > Player > Videos > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop

Sync Playback to Display should always be OFF

Tell Xiaomi to distribute the test FW to the wider Beta test usergroup. I'm not seeing such FW at the moment.

How do I get acces to the beta group? My MiBox updated itself to Oreo last month but I haven't received an updates since.
(2018-12-29, 13:23)wrxtasy Wrote:

Use the suite of video files continued in FPS_Tests_r3.zip (click) to look for smooth video playback after a TV refresh switches.

Kodi setup should be Settings > Player > Videos > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start/Stop

Sync Playback to Display should always be OFF

Tell Xiaomi to distribute the test FW to the wider Beta test usergroup. I'm not seeing such FW at the moment.

Thanks for sharing the file. That is good test case, I should share them also to the devs if they don’t already have them. I have to add one more thing to the settings. Add 2 seconds delay during switching if you have problem displaying the video.

They will. Now only two users have the build. I’m one of their Uber guinea pigs. But my test is mostly positive. I will watch a full length movie with it this weekend, if there are no major issues, the beta testers will have it.
The new beta update fixec the issue that needs delay for refresh rate switching. New test data has been sent to the devs to fix DD+ dropout and frame drop in 24.0 FPS (not 23.976) videos.
Hey,

Beta group received update Smile
My first impression is positive. Kodi is able to change display modes.

One problem, that may be is an old bug: I think android does not list 4k modes as available resolutions in its api, so kodi also see only 1080p modes as available. Lg 32ud59-B. Maybe this is why mibox display settings cannot select optimal resolution in auto mode also.
Adb logcat & studio logcat dump
https://gist.github.com/azbesthu/d1230a5...b8b442f535
https://gist.github.com/azbesthu/f02fa66...0b137423c3

Edit: 25Hz & 50Hz feels wrong from  FPS_Tests_r3.zip, bar movement is jumpy, uneven. Strange because I see resolution change in this log 
https://gist.github.com/azbesthu/1222986...f41a7bbda9
​​​​​Others seems smooth I think.
I tested some BBC shows at 25fps, and it is smooth (first time ever!). I will test the test files later

About the resolution stuck on 1080p, it is mainly a kodi thing.
I just tested 25fps and 50fps in the test files. They are smooth. Maybe it is your display device?
Just installed this Beta - Plex / Kodi auto refresh switching Firmware, feedback for Xiaomi:

• For Kodi (Leia) it's working well for all Frame Rates inc. the fractional ones 23.976, 29.97 & 59.94 fps
  • Tested SPMC 16.4.x and it's all working great with that App as well. MrMC should be the same if I test it. Did not test Plex.
  • The Kodi Leia Netflix Addon works well for smooth 24p Netflix playback with 5.1 DD+ or 5.1 DD audio Smile
  • There is no issues when skipping thru 10bit HEVC video, that I could see after refresh switching.
  • When minimising Kodi and going back to the main Oreo user interface it correctly switches back to the correct refresh rate if they are different.

I'm pretty impressed !
What this update now opens up is much better Kodi support for those of use that live in territories that also need to view 25/50fps video content.
AMLogic fixing Android mpeg2 and h.264 deinterlacing so it outputs full motion - would complete the package.

However for 4K TV owners there is an annoying bug:
  • All non 4K video content triggers a Kodi auto Resolution switch to a 4K display mode every time refresh switching occurs.
  • This is unwanted for all non 4K content because you want a 4K TV to use it's superior 720/1080p > 2160p picture upscaling hardware to upscale and display such content.
  • If everything is output at 4K, then the inferior upscaling hardware of the Mi Box is used for non 4K content and picture output looks a bit dull and "soft" vs what a 4K TV can do.

720/1080p Kodi video needs to be output at 720/1080p and not switch to 4K when auto refresh switching.

For 1080p TV owners this minor resolution switching bug will not affect them - I would not delay a Firmware update because of it.

This long awaited auto refresh switching feature will be a great update for Kodi Mi Box users. Smile

@generalmilk
Also before I forget - ask Xiaomi or get them to remind AMLogic that the IEC61937 audio patches are missing from Oreo 8.1 Firmware.
IEC61937 support for Kodi HD audio passthrough still works in the Oreo 8.0 - 2016 Mi Box - but is missing in Oreo 8.1 Mi Box S Firmware.

Thanks.

W.

Quote:I just tested 25fps and 50fps in the test files. They are smooth. Maybe it is your display device?
You're right, it should be a problem with my LG display. I just tried it out with a projector. With that i have smooth playback for 25 and 50 fps.
(2019-01-05, 14:14)azbest Wrote:
Quote:I just tested 25fps and 50fps in the test files. They are smooth. Maybe it is your display device?
You're right, it should be a problem with my LG display. I just tried it out with a projector. With that i have smooth playback for 25 and 50 fps. 
Are you in a 60Hz territory?
(2019-01-05, 05:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Just installed this Beta - Plex / Kodi auto refresh switching Firmware, feedback for Xiaomi:

• For Kodi (Leia) it's working well for all Frame Rates inc. the fractional ones 23.976, 29.97 & 59.94 fps
  • Tested SPMC 16.4.x and it's all working great with that App as well. MrMC should be the same if I test it. Did not test Plex.
  • The Kodi Leia Netflix Addon works well for smooth 24p Netflix playback with 5.1 DD+ or 5.1 DD audio Smile
  • There is no issues when skipping thru 10bit HEVC video, that I could see after refresh switching.
  • When minimising Kodi and going back to the main Oreo user interface it correctly switches back to the correct refresh rate if they are different.

I'm pretty impressed !
What this update now opens up is much better Kodi support for those of use that live in territories that also need to view 25/50fps video content.
AMLogic fixing Android mpeg2 and h.264 deinterlacing so it outputs full motion - would complete the package.

However for 4K TV owners there is an annoying bug:
  • All non 4K video content triggers a Kodi auto Resolution switch to a 4K display mode every time refresh switching occurs.
  • This is unwanted for all non 4K content because you want a 4K TV to use it's superior 720/1080p > 2160p picture upscaling hardware to upscale and display such content.
  • If everything is output at 4K, then the inferior upscaling hardware of the Mi Box is used for non 4K content and picture output looks a bit dull and "soft" vs what a 4K TV can do.

720/1080p Kodi video needs to be output at 720/1080p and not switch to 4K when auto refresh switching.

For 1080p TV owners this minor resolution switching bug will not affect them - I would not delay a Firmware update because of it.

This long awaited auto refresh switching feature will be a great update for Kodi Mi Box users. Smile

@generalmilk
Also before I forget - ask Xiaomi or get them to remind AMLogic that the IEC61937 audio patches are missing from Oreo 8.1 Firmware.
IEC61937 support for Kodi HD audio passthrough still works in the Oreo 8.0 - 2016 Mi Box - but is missing in Oreo 8.1 Mi Box S Firmware.

Thanks.

W. 
So you recomend to leave Mi Box in 1080p res and let the TV upscale to 4k when you have a 4k tv? thanks for your atention
(2019-01-05, 21:25)mutagen Wrote: So you recommend to leave Mi Box in 1080p res and let the TV upscale to 4k when you have a 4k tv? thanks for your attention

Yes because modern 4K TV's generally have superior picture upscaling Hardware vs the majority of 4K media players. You will get a sharper, clearer picture for all non 4K content.
You want a media player to have working auto resolution switching based on the source video content being played.
The 4K AMLogic - OSMC / LibreELEC Kodi Krypton platforms have had this working for quite a while now.

This is the media player video output you want for optimal picture quality:

720p video or lower output at 720p > 4K TV upscales 720p to 4K using it's superior upscaling hardware.

1080p video output at 1080p > 4K TV upscales 1080p to 4K using it's superior upscaling hardware.

2160p video output at 2160p. No upscaling needed.

The new Mi Box Beta test Firmware has a bug in it. It outputs ALL video content at 2160p when refresh switching is enabled.

This is the complete opposite of what you want for optimal high quality video playback of all non 4K content on a 4K TV.

• 171(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21