Req Adjust display refresh rate only on Start
Would it be possible to add change refreshrate on PAUSE also.
+1
Basically define a kind of "acceptable" Kodi GUI refresh rates (50Hz, 60Hz) with the first one being the "main" default one.
Keep current refresh rate if running one of those "acceptable" refresh rates (and not always forcing 60Hz!).
All the other refresh rates (24p) will be switched to this "main" default refresh rate on stopping a movie.

As described by before by bigbadrabbit in 2016(!):
Europe has 25/50Hz TV standard. So constantly switching between 24/50/60Hz, especially with an older AVR/TV is a daily struggle Sad
Why not set your main refreshrate to 50hz - then it would only switch to 24hz if you watch a movie. Also when setting it to switch only at „start/stop“ it really switches seldom.

I don‘t think I understood your proposal and how it would reduce the switches even more.

In Germany i really never need 60hz at all.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
When I find some time I am going to implement a manual mode. Means the system does not automatically switch the refresh rate. This way you can browse videos without annoying changes of refesh rate. If you finally decide to switch refresh rate, a popup window will provide suitable refresh rates to select.
I have a question concerning interlaced refresh rate switch. Couple days ago there has been a commit which should play 1080i50 videos directly with 50fps. But if I test with latest nightly it still starts with 25fps and switches 1 second later to 50fps. Would it be possible to improve the change?
I can see the logic in a 'Adjust refresh rate on Start' option.

Lots of us in 50Hz-land who watch Live TV via Kodi and a PVR backend have Kodi set up for 50Hz refresh.  When we play a 23.976/24.000 movie we get a re-sync from 50 to 24 when we start playing, and another from 24 to 50 when we stop.  If we then find another 23.976/24.000Hz video to watch we get the re-sync from 50 to 24 again.  If we had 'Adjust refresh rate on start,' we'd only get re-ysncs when we played content that was different to the current refresh rate (set by the previous media).   In some use cases this could be a lot more useful.

The original suggestion gets a +1 from me.
Have you actually tried using the UI at 24Hz? It's horrible.
(2018-06-22, 16:31)Hitcher Wrote: Have you actually tried using the UI at 24Hz? It's horrible.

Yes. I run Estuary using a remote control to navigate a tree structure of media (I don't use a library) and have never found the 24Hz UI too horrific. Sure it's not as smooth as a 50Hz GUI - but that's a reasonable trade off compared to a lot of re-syncing of amp and TV and lots of OSD flashing and banging.
(2018-06-16, 11:29)Memphiz Wrote: Why not set your main refreshrate to 50hz - then it would only switch to 24hz if you watch a movie. Also when setting it to switch only at „start/stop“ it really switches seldom.

I don‘t think I understood your proposal and how it would reduce the switches even more.

In Germany i really never need 60hz at all.
 Youtube.
30Hz/60Hz videos all over the place.
Please tell me your experience with variable frame rate videos and the "adjust display refresh rate" option on.
In my case, Kodi changes the display refresh rate back and forth when there is a transition of frame rate.
For example, with:
Minimum frame rate: 17.118 FPS
Maximum frame rate: 29.981 FPS,
"adjust display refresh rate" set to on makes it impossible to watch.
If I disable it it's OK.
(2019-01-04, 17:36)m2840 Wrote: Please tell me your experience with variable frame rate videos and the "adjust display refresh rate" option on.
In my case, Kodi changes the display refresh rate back and forth when there is a transition of frame rate.
For example, with:
Minimum frame rate: 17.118 FPS
Maximum frame rate: 29.981 FPS,
"adjust display refresh rate" set to on makes it impossible to watch.
If I disable it it's OK.
What happens if you just have adjust refresh rate On Start/Stop enabled, rather than Always? 
What's the source of the variable frame-rate content ? I seldom see any variable stuff these days.
I think this feature needs to be implemented. I frequently watch content in 24, 50 and 60Hz. My projector is really slow in re-syncinc, ~10 seconds. Doesn't matter if watching a longer video(s) but get really annoying quite fast if watching short video clips which don't match whatever was chosen for the UI.

I think the simplest way to fix this is to add the fourth option "on start only" (in addition to never / on start and stop / always). That will fix the issue for most people, and is something that is needed in any case, and doesn't break current behavior or alter it in any way (since it is an additional option).

Later the fine-grained behavior could be adjusted, after it is agreed on what is the best approach. Personally, I don't mind the UI being in 24Hz, since I'll take usability over eye candy any day.

In case you don't like the UI run in 24Hz (after playing back some videos in 24Hz), then don't enable this hypothetical new option (use one of the other three). I can't think of any clean, non-intrusive way of implementing something else (reading the suggestion made by FernetMenta, willemd and bigbadrabbit). However, I did think about it a little, and came up with one solution I didn't see in this thread yet: a delay of 30second to 180 seconds (could be hard-coded or user settable) after the refresh rate is reset, if nothing is playing. Instead of a prompt, it could instead be a ticker / countdown message - which will state what is about to happen and a way to cancel it; for example "resetting refresh rate to 50Hz in 10 seconds, press ALT+R to cancel". Still seems a bit complicated (not sure if the current notification system allows this, and the key/binding should be something not bound to something else at the moment). For the time being, I'd just forget automatic refresh rate change back to the UI , since I can not think of any clean, non-intrusive way to implement it.

Personally, I'd strongly object to any pop-up prompt which ask if the user wishes to change refresh rate (with interaction), since there is a big caveat here: how to make sure user doesn't accidentally choose "yes" or "no", if he was in the middle of browsing something, expecting to click / choose something else? There's already too many bad examples of intrusive popups in other software, which gets in the way, is interacted accidentally by the user and in worst case, causes catastrophic things (well in this case, at worst unintentional refresh rate change, but just interrupting the user is bad enough).
Lets see if we get this through now...
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15506
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I hope this gets implemented (basically that the pull request is accepted).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It will be merged. The question is only: when. We did not yet branch Leia away from master and still concentrate on fix "low hanging" bugs for 18.2 - I think I will push it right away after Leia is branched.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adjust display refresh rate only on Start0