• 17(current)
Solved XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion
I want to see if the detection works correctly. If you did not realize yet - you are the only guy happy with the "mpeg4 on by default" policy, which is a bit selfish isn't it ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
sorry for that, actually these addons are not used for testing my files.

Banned addons or not I honestly do not use them to trick you into something, illegal content I know is not permitted here I just used this addons to playback som tv series like alaskan bush people in the first years because they are not on dutch tv Smile
Okay, lets see if I can open a new message about the heavily stuttering files again and hope to be of "some" help with solving or locating the problem Smile as this post is clearly about the mpeg4 specific.
(2019-01-10, 09:35)fritsch Wrote: I want to see if the detection works correctly. If you did not realize yet - you are the only guy happy with the "mpeg4 on by default" policy, which is a bit selfish isn't it ...
I am not selfish but realistic Wink Even the FFmpeg team recommends to convert such ancient videos with stream-copy into a conform format to play them without any problems. I tested it myself and it works great and takes only 10-15 seconds for a 1.5 GB video. So why should you analyze it further and try it out? Do you want to be better than FFmpeg itself?

And from my point of view the relapse to software playback is not an option in such cases, because then most Android boxes and Sony TVs won't be able to play it smoothly anymore. We already had this insight before peak3ds changes, remember?

And yes, I'm happy with the current official Nightly and RC4 version, because now all "my" XVIDS can be played without any problems.
Quote:you are the only guy happy with the "mpeg4 on by default" policy
I am also pro enabling HW acceleration. SW decoding is just no feasible on most Android TV devices, see here.
(2019-01-10, 13:02)CiNcH Wrote:
Quote:you are the only guy happy with the "mpeg4 on by default" policy
I am also pro enabling HW acceleration. SW decoding is just no feasible on most Android TV devices, see here.  
In my opinion, 95% of the reasons for the different CPU usage of the different Kodi versions are due to the different FFmpeg versions that have been used over time. Until recently FFmpeg was able to handle packed B-frames without any problems, but the FFmpeg developers have apparently removed this support.

Kodi itself is not to blame and a comparison with Jarvis and Krypton is useless, if so, you would have to compare the FFmpeg versions.
(2019-01-08, 18:32)rainman74 Wrote:
(2019-01-08, 12:22)Ccd73 Wrote:
(2019-01-02, 23:50)rainman74 Wrote: In my opinion, the instructions written above on how to unpack the packed B-frames into the AVI files is an excellent workaround, no quality is reduced and the videos are played back even more efficiently and are MPEG-4 standard afterwards!

I recommend all users to convert such problematic files once!
Unpack B-framesTimekeeping:
For a 1.4 GB AVI file on my computer, the unpacking process only takes about 15 seconds (Intel [email protected] GHz). That's no time to complain now Wink
 Sorry, what are the instructions to fix them on my Mac? im totally newbie with command lines    
Code:
ffmpeg -i INPUT.avi -codec copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes OUTPUT.avi

https://evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/ 
 i did my homework and after watching some youtube tutorial i've succesful installed and used ffmpeg on a single avi with your command line.
Can you tell me if it's possible to change the command line for multiple files? (for example something like: "for * .avi; do ffmpeg -i *.avi; done" )
Thanks
(2019-01-10, 17:03)Ccd73 Wrote:
(2019-01-08, 12:22)Ccd73 Wrote:  Sorry, what are the instructions to fix them on my Mac? im totally newbie with command lines    
Code:

i did my homework and after watching some youtube tutorial i've succesful installed and used ffmpeg on a single avi with your command line.
Can you tell me if it's possible to change the command line for multiple files? (for example something like: "for * .avi; do ffmpeg -i *.avi; done" )
Thanks         
I know it fast only for Windows, but it should be similar for Macs:
Code:
for %I in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%I" -codec copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes "%~nI_new.avi"

And if you also want to go through all the subdirectories:
Code:
for /R %I in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%I" -codec copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes "%~nI_new.avi"

And if you want to go through all subdirectories and delete the old AVI files right after the conversion (but please try first in a test directory with 2-3 subfolders and videos):
Code:
for /R %I in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%I" -codec copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes "%~nI_new.avi" & del "%I"
(2019-01-08, 12:22)Ccd73 Wrote:  Sorry, what are the instructions to fix them on my Mac? im totally newbie with command lines    
Code:

Thanks 
 ok here is my result: sorry to say that after testing my unpacked avi (using ffmpeg -i INPUT.avi -codec copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes OUTPUT.avi), the files still has problem, (loose sync, slow motion..) Sad the only way to let it work is disabling mediacodec
(2019-01-10, 20:33)Ccd73 Wrote:
Code:

Thanks   
 ok here is my result: sorry to say that after testing my unpacked avi (using ffmpeg -i INPUT.avi -codec copy -bsf:v mpeg4_unpack_bframes OUTPUT.avi), the files still has problem, (loose sync, slow motion..) Sad the only way to let it work is disabling mediacodec  
Please send me your converted Xvid File... (Dropbox, GDrive, Mega, etc.)
(2019-01-09, 15:14)fritsch Wrote: This one here (32 bit version): http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk includes auto fallback if resolution is <= 800 px width and it furthermore changes the default Deint Fallback Method to YADIF-HALF. This should get most mpeg4 files played properly out of the box again. 64 bit version was also built.
Unfortunately not. Whole app turned to mud on a Fire TV 4K.
So I've recently bought a 4k fire stick and a normal one for two TVS in my house. I stream content from my Hard Drive through SMB and have noticed that the videos that have been DVDrip's cause slow playback/juttering. The HD Videos all work no problem and run smoothly.

I've been looking for a solution for a while but I think I have narrowed it down to 'Adjust Display rate' to being on Always.

It may have something to do with the TV make you are using. My normal fire stick is plugged into a Sony 4K TV and when I set the display rate to 'Always' the screen will flicker black before every video and play the videos smoothly.

However with the exact same settings on my Samsung 4K TV this does not work at all. Strange - I don't know if this information is useful but if anyone finds a proper solution that would be great so I don't have to convert ever video I Have.
(2019-01-13, 01:10)niallod55 Wrote: So I've recently bought a 4k fire stick and a normal one for two TVS in my house. I stream content from my Hard Drive through SMB and have noticed that the videos that have been DVDrip's cause slow playback/juttering. The HD Videos all work no problem and run smoothly.

I've been looking for a solution for a while but I think I have narrowed it down to 'Adjust Display rate' to being on Always.

It may have something to do with the TV make you are using. My normal fire stick is plugged into a Sony 4K TV and when I set the display rate to 'Always' the screen will flicker black before every video and play the videos smoothly.

However with the exact same settings on my Samsung 4K TV this does not work at all. Strange - I don't know if this information is useful but if anyone finds a proper solution that would be great so I don't have to convert ever video I Have.
I can confirm this, with 'Adjust Display rate' ALWAYS the video jerks more strongly than without. But I left these settings OFF because of my Sony TV, because Sony doesn't support the Auto Refresh-rate switching of the Android API.
I corrected the commands in the post #248, a small bug had crept in Wink
Try again with SW Decoding: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk - might crash and burn ;-)
Final solution even with a GLES3 goodie: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15286
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion1