• 4(current)
Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings
(2019-01-30, 02:43)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:32)robross0606 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:20)jjd-uk Wrote: If you had 17.6 then this was not the UWP version of the app, that was simply an adjusted version of the normal desktop exe app for Store distribution. The genuine UWP app is new for v18 as it was needed to get Kodi onto Xbox.
 With all due respect, this may be true in terms of how it was "hacked" onto the Windows Store.  However, from an end-user perspective, we neither know this nor can we control the UWP update process.  This at least deserved a BIG warning during one of the various blog entries about v18 release, as well as some type of documented process for those who need to upgrade.  Are there any UWP users who were not completely broken by this release? 

It could just be an error in understanding how the Store updates, it might have been assumed that the UWP version for v18 would not replace the desktop bridge created v17 version as appears to have happened. Please try and remember we are volunteers who do this in our free time and there are limited numbers if us, so perhaps something just slipped between the cracks. 
If that's what happened, then I totally get it.  That is really what I thought would happen as well.  At this point, we need a good mitigation strategy.  Perhaps we can come up with a decent way to migrate away from the UWP application to the regular EXE?  Would that process be pretty straight forward?  I don't see much point it sticking with the UWP application on Windows 10 since it really seems like all existing functionality was thrown out the window (pun! Smile in order to get something "universal" running on XBox.
(2019-01-30, 02:47)robross0606 Wrote: Wow, is anyone else getting the feeling that there's ZERO benefit to using the UWP application? 

robross I feel your frustrations but please let the volunteers try to sort this issue out before jumping ship.
If you don't like the idea that MS updated to the UWP version of the app, I would suggest a direct  installation from this forum 'top of the page' and copy your old userdata folder into the new userdata folder.
(2019-01-30, 02:47)robross0606 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:45)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:37)Klojum Wrote: Image 

I think UWP is different to the other app versions and they are under My Addons as they are bundled since UWP can’t use the repo for binary addons. 
Wow, is anyone else getting the feeling that there's ZERO benefit to using the UWP application?  Let's start talking about how we can migrate to the regular version.

For desktop use then yes the UWP version it’s more limited that the normal desktop exe version and the previous v17 Store version converted from it by the desktop bridge. What I’m not sure on is if there was supposed to have been a v18 version of the desktop bridge app, as it appears this hasn’t been pushed out.
(2019-01-30, 02:53)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:47)robross0606 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:45)jjd-uk Wrote: I think UWP is different to the other app versions and they are under My Addons as they are bundled since UWP can’t use the repo for binary addons. 
Wow, is anyone else getting the feeling that there's ZERO benefit to using the UWP application?  Let's start talking about how we can migrate to the regular version. 

For desktop use then yes the UWP version it’s more limited that the normal desktop exe version and the previous v17 Store version converted from it by the desktop bridge. What I’m not sure on is if there was supposed to have been a v18 version of the desktop bridge app, as it appears this hasn’t been pushed out. 
Yes, I wasn't aware there was a distinction and it sure looks like the non-bridge version overwrote the previous v17 bridge version.  What I'm trying to do now is figure out my best path forward.  Is there a list somewhere of how the UWP application is now more "limited" than the previous (bridge) version?  That would help people weigh their options and determine best path forward.
(2019-01-30, 02:47)kbaudi Wrote: I installed the SMB vfs as you suggested, but it still cannot see directories on my server. Is anybody working to fix this?

I get the feeling this is the 962,734th SMBv1 vs SMBv2 situation, for which there are plenty of similar threads elsewhere on this forum for information, and so there is no need to pollute this specific thread here.
FYI: in short, Kodi 18 defaults to SMBv2, for which Microsoft has disabled network browsing, and full credentials from preferably a non-admin user are now required for SMBv2 share. Personally, I favor NFS.
I've confirmed on my system then when I disable the SMB vfs it doesn't lock up. Re-enabled it and it locks up again. just providing info...
If anyone does want to move to the exe version then simply copying the userdata folder to the AppData/Roaming/kodi folder should be enough after installing the exe.
(2019-01-30, 02:52)PatK Wrote: If you don't like the idea that MS updated to the UWP version of the app, I would suggest a direct  installation from this forum 'top of the page' and copy your old userdata folder into the new userdata folder.
I know where the UWP application stores the userdata from earlier in this thread.  Can you tell us where the regular EXE version expects this data?
(2019-01-30, 03:01)Bilbo430 Wrote: I've confirmed on my system then when I disable the SMB vfs it doesn't lock up. Re-enabled it and it locks up again. just providing info...

After enabling try closing Kodi and then starting Kodi again if you haven’t already tried this.
(2019-01-30, 03:02)robross0606 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:52)PatK Wrote: If you don't like the idea that MS updated to the UWP version of the app, I would suggest a direct  installation from this forum 'top of the page' and copy your old userdata folder into the new userdata folder.
I know where the UWP application stores the userdata from earlier in this thread.  Can you tell us where the regular EXE version expects this data? 
Nevermind, I think I found it under %APPDATA%/Kodi/
(2019-01-30, 03:00)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:47)kbaudi Wrote: I installed the SMB vfs as you suggested, but it still cannot see directories on my server. Is anybody working to fix this?

I get the feeling this is the 962,734th SMBv1 vs SMBv2 situation, for which there are plenty of similar threads elsewhere on this forum for information, and so there is no need to pollute this specific thread here.
FYI: in short, Kodi 18 defaults to SMBv2, for which Microsoft has disabled network browsing, and full credentials from preferably a non-admin user are now required for SMBv2 share. Personally, I favor NFS.

The addon requires you to manually enter the IP address I believe, trying to browse network won’t work.
(2019-01-30, 02:36)robross0606 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 01:51)YaYaTurre Wrote: It worked! I copied all of the files from the Local Cache\Roaming\Kodi to the Local State folder, and everything is back to normal. All repositories and addons are restored.

Thanks so much!
Are you actually able to access any of your local data if you have any?  As far as I can tell, v18 has no access to any hard drive paths. 
 I am not trying to access any local data.
Location for Kodi installation downloaded from the top of this page.

C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata or portable mode C:\Kodi-Leia\Kodi\portable_data\userdata

At this point the wiki Userdata location will have to be updated.
When in the Kodi GUI, entering the Add a network location... option and fill in all relevant connection credentials should be the way to go.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Store v18 update resets my settings0