• 8(current)
Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings
(2019-01-30, 19:18)Beayn Wrote: I tried following either step 1 or 2 and get a strange error, "The file can not be accessed by the system."
Kodi was working fine before the update. I checked file permissions and they're all OK. I google the error and find unrelated stuff to do with servers.
I used command line and unstoppable copier. I rebooted. I did a chkdsk, nothing lets me copy all the files from this folder. I get about 3400 out of 7000 files when using a copier program. Windows explorer copy simply aborts the copy immediately.
Does the store lock down app folders for security or something?

If I can I will switch away from the store version and back to the regular one.
I just tried Solution 1 and ran into exact same issue as you.

-> copied Kodi folder; pasted into AppData\Roaming
-> tried to copy over 8,000+ files
-> immediately comes up with error message:

Quote:An unexpected error is keeping you from coping the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system.

addon
Type: XML Document
Size: 2.50 KB
Date modified: 12/30/2015 9:39 PM
Seems like this is a common error in this thread. Has anybody found a solution yet? Or have an idea of something else to try??
@chriswally

Don't know about a "common" error. You are only the second person to report it.

Have you tried restarting Windows? Once restarted perform the copy, do not start Kodi as we don't want Windows to lock files again.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Are you trying this with Kodi running? (It shouldn't be).

Does your Windows user have admin rights?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
When trying to copy the folder:
C:\Users\<UserName>      \AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi

I get the same error:  "Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system."
If I click skip when I get the error for a file it will copy some of the files, but a lot of files give that error message.

I am logged in as an administrator.
Properties -> Security -> Advanced: Says I'm the owner and have full control.
I've rebooted several times (without starting kodi) and I also tried rebooting in Safe Mode.
No luck though, same error message every time.
What happens if you copy to another location first, say My Documents, or to another drive. Then copy to the final location?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-30, 19:30)Bilbo430 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 17:33)jools5000 Wrote: The UWP version is more limited and its fair to say if you want the full features of Kodi and full control of it, then dont use the UWP version. 

Remember you are the commnuty and if you care about Kodi, then if you can please test the betas and particularly the RC versions, reporting any issues

I agree with your points but how are we able to test with the UWP version? I don't think we can, or at least I don't know how... 
Its a bit of a pain as per a lot of Microsoft's APPX packages but the info is here
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...s_Platform
@chriswally -Unstoppable Copier- copying large files with deep paths can cause issues (exceeding 256 chr$), along with corrupt artwork. I use Teracopy and saw similar issues, switched to system copy, slow but sure, first pass turned up a corrupt file  and the copy died. Deletion of the corrupt thumbnail file became my success (might want to look through the thumbnail folders looking for half green or grey images and delete). Solution #1 is going to work, copying the userdata sans thumbnail folders should get the job done, then copy each thumbnail folder one at a time and place in the correct postition until you hit the problem child. Never look back.
(2019-01-30, 21:18)Karellen Wrote: What happens if you copy to another location first, say My Documents, or to another drive. Then copy to the final location?
"Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system."
I tried copying the Kodi folder to another drive, network drive, desktop, My Documents, Download, & Pictures. None worked.
Ok, a quick google search for that error returns over 9000 results. Here are the top two and both indicate problems with your local system...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For...filebackup
https://www.easeus.com/resource/the-file...ystem.html
My Signature
Not sure if people know this, but that kodi folder is encrypted. And it is encrypted because it's a UWP app, Windows will not let you copy the contents to any other location, at least on Pro versions of Win10. Otherwise if you try, you get a error "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here." or "You don't have access" type message.

Doesn't matter if you take ownership, turn encryption off on the folder (won't let you), boot to safe mode, use robocopy, or a 3rd party tool. Windows 10 has full control and will not allow a copy to be made. I cannot even copy it to the new UWP folder much less a folder the desktop app made. This under the pretense of keeping the apps safe and secure.

Its very frustrating, but its not like we can blame volunteers that put in their own time to create Kodi. I only wish there was some type of notice given for UWP users that the new UWP will not allow access to local drives and you'll lose your library and settings the second you upgrade. That is a pretty big glaring omission that should have been mentioned somewhere.

So this has just put the final nail in the coffin that is the Microsoft Store and its apps. Every single one in there is half baked due to restrictions. Never will use UWP for Kodi again (still love Kodi), way too much control is taken away and for, as far as I can see, zero benefit.

Now back to rebuilding a 12+ TB library, customizations, settings, addons, API keys, jeebus what a mess.

Thank you team kodi for doing what you do. UWP was needed for Xbox, but it really has no place for PCs in general. Just recommend people use the tried and true desktop client instead, since UWP will always be limited with no benefit.
(2019-01-30, 21:23)jools5000 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 19:30)Bilbo430 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 17:33)jools5000 Wrote: The UWP version is more limited and its fair to say if you want the full features of Kodi and full control of it, then dont use the UWP version. 

Remember you are the commnuty and if you care about Kodi, then if you can please test the betas and particularly the RC versions, reporting any issues

I agree with your points but how are we able to test with the UWP version? I don't think we can, or at least I don't know how...  
Its a bit of a pain as per a lot of Microsoft's APPX packages but the info is here
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...s_Platform 
Cheers jools Smile
(2019-01-30, 17:50)DarrenHill Wrote: for desktop machines it's probably better to go with the exe install version anyway, and update it using the updater add-on for simplicity. 
Wait...there is an updater add-on? I cannot find it; can you point me to it? Thx
can we turn the store version OFF  !!  or do we go round in circles ??  ;-) 

then I can download EXE ver from U !!  :-)
Hi everyone.

It's kind of hard to follow the solution here. There have been lots of questions and lots of answers and even follow-up answers. There are also lots of rants, but I tried skimming over those.

I have the UWP version, and Kodi is run from a Standard User account. I can't really let my 11 year old and his buddies have Admin access across my entire network.

I was able to dig into my VFS Add-On, and it seems I have lots of plug-ins already enabled.

Is there a solution yet to getting my locally mapped V: drive to work?
@Karellen First thing I tried, same error message. (Restart computer; tried copying to different location)

@DarrenHill Nope, never had Kodi (either version) open during any of this. I am the only user account on the desktop, so have admin rights.

@PatK Tried to copy each folder one at a time from the LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi folder, but get the error message pop up with the very first folder "addons". And does it immediately again when I try to copy the next folder over, "cache".

@Karellen Also tried Method 1 from this link you posted and it found no errors: https://www.easeus.com/resource/the-file...ystem.html
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Store v18 update resets my settings0