4K HDR is a mess and driving me crazy :( - Kodi 18
(2019-02-03, 17:45)uVSthem Wrote:
(2019-02-03, 16:00)accobra427 Wrote:
(2019-02-02, 19:33)uVSthem Wrote:  I'm having the same issue. My TV is 4K but doesn't support HDR. Anything I play with HDR is too bright and washed out.   
Do you want to know an ever weirder thing.... i do have a 4k tv with HDR as my main computer screen, so i installed kodi 18 on that one and hocus pocus 4k movies are running just fine. So i don't think it's a bug in the new update. 

Just curious what OS are you running? my HTPC is running Win 10 Enterprise and my main computer is running Win 7 so it can be a bug with Win 10.   
I'm running Win 10 Enterprise LTSC. Kodi 17 played HDR movies for me just fine.  
 Alright so you're also running Enterprise, the plot thickens. Maybe Enterprise isn't supported yet. It's the same for me Kodi 17 had no issues. 

Now i'm even more curious what does LTSC stand for?
(2019-02-04, 01:54)accobra427 Wrote:
(2019-02-03, 16:00)accobra427 Wrote: Do you want to know an ever weirder thing.... i do have a 4k tv with HDR as my main computer screen, so i installed kodi 18 on that one and hocus pocus 4k movies are running just fine. So i don't think it's a bug in the new update. 

Just curious what OS are you running? my HTPC is running Win 10 Enterprise and my main computer is running Win 7 so it can be a bug with Win 10.   
 Alright so you're also running Enterprise, the plot thickens. Maybe Enterprise isn't supported yet. It's the same for me Kodi 17 had no issues. 

Now i'm even more curious what does LTSC stand for? 

The Long Term Servicing Channel was previously called the Long Term Servicing Branch https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...-new/ltsc/
(2019-02-03, 16:00)accobra427 Wrote:
(2019-02-02, 19:33)uVSthem Wrote:  I'm having the same issue. My TV is 4K but doesn't support HDR. Anything I play with HDR is too bright and washed out.   
Do you want to know an ever weirder thing.... i do have a 4k tv with HDR as my main computer screen, so i installed kodi 18 on that one and hocus pocus 4k movies are running just fine. So i don't think it's a bug in the new update. 

It plays them, yes  However has no tone mapping to convert HDR to SDR and doesn't support HDR passthrough (result is everything looks awful)

If you're using DSPlayer edition or external players then the above doesn't necessarily apply

LTSC probably a bad idea, as we're waiting for MS to finally implement a HDR switching API, which LTSC wont necessarily get (especialy if they introduce it in the nect couple of years)
(2019-02-05, 00:57)jools5000 Wrote:
(2019-02-03, 16:00)accobra427 Wrote: Do you want to know an ever weirder thing.... i do have a 4k tv with HDR as my main computer screen, so i installed kodi 18 on that one and hocus pocus 4k movies are running just fine. So i don't think it's a bug in the new update. 

It plays them, yes  However has no tone mapping to convert HDR to SDR and doesn't support HDR passthrough (result is everything looks awful)

If you're using DSPlayer edition or external players then the above doesn't necessarily apply

LTSC probably a bad idea, as we're waiting for MS to finally implement a HDR switching API, which LTSC wont necessarily get (especialy if they introduce it in the nect couple of years) 
Ok but my problem with Kodi 18 is that the whites are wrong as the thred starters pictures are showing. It wasn't like that on 17 and i don't have a HDR tv so the setting is of by default in windows
Tone mapping isn't an exact science unfortunatly.  Its a rough guess by the application to try to convert the colorspace and dynamic range

Ideally only acquire HDR content if you mainly watch content on a HDR display, as the HDR display can switch to SDR mode for normal content

The Kodi implementation is new and will probably be improved in the future.  You may be better to use MadVR and external player to get more control, but to understand how complex this subject can be to fine tune review this thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...ector.html
(2019-02-05, 13:35)jools5000 Wrote: Tone mapping isn't an exact science unfortunatly.  Its a rough guess by the application to try to convert the colorspace and dynamic range

Ideally only acquire HDR content if you mainly watch content on a HDR display, as the HDR display can switch to SDR mode for normal content

The Kodi implementation is new and will probably be improved in the future.  You may be better to use MadVR and external player to get more control, but to understand how complex this subject can be to fine tune review this thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...ector.html
 Ok thank you for letting me know but i think i'm gonna rollback to 17.6 until they fix this issue
(2018-10-13, 21:42)TheBuz Wrote: 1st I would like to apologise for the bad image, when I took a screenshot both videos became washed out.

This is Windows 10 with HDR on in Windows settings

on the left is the default windows player, everything looks great. on the right is Kodi 18 Beta 3, completely washed out.

I am pretty sure i am missing something really simple, can anyone help?

edit: i should add that when HDR is enabled in windows settings, all of the windows interface looks washed out

Hello, same here, does anyone find a solution ?
Thank you Wink
Pixel Shader in video settings fixed the problem for me!
(2019-03-31, 21:37)Valent1 Wrote: Pixel Shader in video settings fixed the problem for me!
Did you turn it off globally?

I'm having the same issue, but only on videos with HDR 10bit.  HDR 8bit displays correctly. I am not using an HDR display.
Look my post

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2847288

Probably solve for many users.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2019-03-31, 21:37)Valent1 Wrote: Pixel Shader in video settings fixed the problem for me!

Selecting Pixel Shader in Video Settings was the instant solution for me, as well, on Kodi 18.5. Thanks for that !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR is a mess and driving me crazy :( - Kodi 180