Solved Party mode play of smart playlists slow to change current song
I didn't want to hijackthis thread, but i've also found an issue with Leia and music playback.
Playing music in party mode
► in playlist manually click on a different song = plays instantly

Playing music in different smart playlist, using "play in party mode"
► in playlist manually click on a different song = plays after ~ 20 seconds delay

This didn't happen in older versions (e.g. Leia beta 4), playlists weren't changed.
I've noticed this behaviour since at least Leia 18.0, using 18.1 on Android now.
KODI Player: Nvidia Shield TV Pro [2019] w/ Wolf Launcher + Synology DS418 | Receiver: Marantz SR6013 | TV: LG 55SJ800V | Toaster: Severin AT 2515

How to:
Create custom video nodes like Documentaries, Concerts, Kids etc
@VelvetKevorkian this sounds like a different issue to the thread you added it to, so I have given it a thread of its own.

Only had time for a quick test, but there does indeed seems to be something odd going on when party mode is enabled. I will look at it tomorrow, thanks for reporting.
@VelvetKevorkian I'm not sure I am actually seeing the same issue as you.
When you say "in playlist manually click on a different song" I assume you mean when looking at the current playlist (only 10 items showing), and not inside the smart playlist listing. Does playback start immediately, and just the GUI lag behind?

Can you enable debuging, play a chosen smart playlist using "play in party mode", goto the current playlist and click on one of the other 9 songs. Then post a link to log. If you need help with how to do that from Android then ask and a mod will give more detailed instructions.

Or if you are doing something else, for example something that results in more than 10 items in the current playlist,  them please describe in more detail and provide a log of that.
(2019-02-13, 10:44)DaveBlake Wrote: @VelvetKevorkian I'm not sure I am actually seeing the same issue as you.
When you say "in playlist manually click on a different song" I assume you mean when looking at the current playlist (only 10 items showing), and not inside the smart playlist listing. Does playback start immediately, and just the GUI lag behind?

Can you enable debuging, play a chosen smart playlist using "play in party mode", goto the current playlist and click on one of the other 9 songs. Then post a link to log. If you need help with how to do that from Android then ask and a mod will give more detailed instructions.

Or if you are doing something else, for example something that results in more than 10 items in the current playlist,  them please describe in more detail and provide a log of that.
 Here's the log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/iwamutoqoj.kodi

Yes, i meant choosing a song from current playlist with 10 items showing.
For the log, i chose a smart playlist, used "play in party mode" and select a different song twice manually, every time it took ~ 20 seconds to load.
Then i started the regular party mode, chose a different song from that playlist which started instantly.
KODI Player: Nvidia Shield TV Pro [2019] w/ Wolf Launcher + Synology DS418 | Receiver: Marantz SR6013 | TV: LG 55SJ800V | Toaster: Severin AT 2515

How to:
Thanks for log, I can see the slowness in the times but I'm not reproducing it yet. I have found another issue, which is very useful, but want to understand yours as well.

Could I possibly have your MyMusic72.db and smart playlist .xml files, upload somewhere and PM me a link. It could help me to reproduce, at least I hope it will as I don't think it can be platform specific.

Also looking at log can you tell me how your media sources are mounted? Not relevent to this issue, but could explain the issues you are having with smartplaylists/custom nodes with path rules  mentioned on anoter thread
Sure, here are the mudsic db and the playlist i've tested
(This URL is valid until friday, 22. february 2019)

Media = HDD in Himedia Q10 Pro, running Android 7 firmware.
Western Digital Red 6TB, no issues with it.
I've posted about the paths etc in the other thread here

I've also made custom video nodes, these work without an issue.
Example:

.kodi\userdata\library\video\docus\titles.xml
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node order="30" type="filter">
    <label>10024</label>
    <icon>DefaultMovieTitle.png</icon>
    <content>movies</content>
    <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>/storage/sda2/Documentaries/</value>
    </rule>
</node>

How to:
I did some quick testing, don't see a problem, BUT, party mode for mixed smart playlists is broken and has been broken since before 15.0 (farthest back I tested).  It doesn't seem like the smartplaylist filter is being applied when items are being selected to the nowplaying playlist.

Just another bit of data the mixed playlist is very simple:
Code:
<rule field="artist" operator="contains">
<value>Apink</value>
</rule>

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Thanks @VelvetKevorkian for the db, I have obscured that link to limit access to the file (mods can still see it). Glad to say that I can reproduce the issue using your smart playlist, which gives me something to go on.

Edit
Quote:This didn't happen in older versions (e.g. Leia beta 4), playlists weren't changed.
I've noticed this behaviour since at least Leia 18.0, using 18.1 on Android now.
Are you sure? Smart playlists the same, but have you added to the music in your library? I can produce similar delays on v17.6 providing there the same (large) number of songs to choose from and a lot of genres excluded by the smart playlist rules.

That it doesn't seem new does not mean it should not be improved, but I don't think it is a regression. That matters so I can be sure I am understanding the issue correctly.

Edit2:
Then again the delay only effects the GUI in v17.6 playback of the selecrted song starts immediately, with v18.1 there is silence. Humm.... more than one issue maybe?

Loading the next X songs can be slow if the smart playlist rules are complex (e.g. lots of genres excluded) and there are lots of songs to choose from. When the party mode is progressing normally any slowness in picking the song to add at the end as the current song finishes is not noticeable. When you jump down the playlist, say clicking on the Nth song, it becomes the 1st and 10 - N songs have to be added. The GUI is not updated until it has done that, but in 17.6 playback of the selected song continues asynchronously so maybe no one notices.

The question is why in 18.0 is the playback delayed too?
(2019-02-16, 17:26)DaveBlake Wrote:
Quote:This didn't happen in older versions (e.g. Leia beta 4), playlists weren't changed.
Are you sure? Smart playlists the same, but have you added to the music in your library? I can produce similar delays on v17.6 providing there the same (large) number of songs to choose from and a lot of genres excluded by the smart playlist rules.

That it doesn't seem new does not mean it should not be improved, but I don't think it is a regression. That matters so I can be sure I am understanding the issue correctly.  
I'm constantly changing/adding to my library, but it's always been large (over 30.000 songs).
Also my playlists are unchanged since 17.6 and every other KODI version i tried, i only noticed that issue at some point with the Leia betas, my best guess is after beta 4.

How to:
Thanks for your best guess but I have done a lot more testing, it was the only way.
There is an historic issue (v16 does it, didn't go any further back) whereby there can be a GUI delay when changing track when playing some smart playlists in party mode. The GUI stalls untill all new songs are fetched to make up a total of 10, but the playback continues so I guess no one has noticed the delay before.

There is also a regression that happened between 20171229-f3271af and 20180109-0c21beb during v18 alpha 1 development (I have not pinned it any closer yet) that causes playback to stall too. That is a bad thing, playback should be asynchronous and start immediately. Now to find out why and what can be done about it.

Edit:
OK I think I have a handle on this now, trying to do some other party mode perfromance improvements at the same time. Sorry for thinking so loudly, but it can be a lonely life as a dev Tongue
(2019-02-15, 23:35)scott967 Wrote: I did some quick testing, don't see a problem, BUT, party mode for mixed smart playlists is broken and has been broken since before 15.0 (farthest back I tested).  It doesn't seem like the smartplaylist filter is being applied when items are being selected to the nowplaying playlist.
@scott967 while I am looking at party mode it is an opportunity to get this fixed, but you are going to need to give more details. Anything involving mixed playlists, or music videos in any way, is not in my standard use. In fact I could do with a set of test music videos (small files best), just to get me started.

OK, I can see one issue (trying to get SQL from playlist rules with type = "mixed" does not work) maybe that is it.
Some test builds available
20190218-4668fc1a-PMClickFix Win64
20190218-4668fc1a-PMClickFix arm64 apk

That should fix the playback delay on switch song regression (of the thread title), the older GUI delay on same, and the mixed playlist issues, as well as being quicker to load especially on MySQL Smile

I may also have satisfied your request here @scott967

But if it is to get into 18.2 it needs some thorough testing - see if it fixes the issues, see if everything works as expected (or better).
My box does not support x64, so I installed kodi-20190218-4668fc1a-PMClickFix-armeabi-v7a.apk from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

It works, no more delay in smart playlists. Smile
Thx!

How to:
Thanks for test feedback @VelvetKevorkian, and for the enterprize to find the test build for yourself Smile

@tkgafs as a party mode user you mighty be interested in testing this out too?
Tested the test release and it looks good.  I never had the "slow load" problem in party mode, so can't comment on that (other than I didn't see anything introduced).

It does seem like party mode for mixed smart playlist is now working.

Test cases:

Music Window

"party mode" playlist  passed
song smart playlists (one filtered on genre) played in party mode passed.
mixed smart playlists (one filtered on artist, one filtered on genre) played in party mode passed

Videos Window

"party mode" playlist passed
music video smart playlists (one filtered on genre, one filtered on year) played in party mode passed
mixed smart playlists (one filtered on artist, one filtered on genre (i.e., same ones tested in music window)) played in party mode passed

There's some issue in Estuary on how mixed playlists are displayed in musicplaylist window vs videoplaylist window (what info is displayed). but it's purely a skinning issue (except for some minor issue on how listitem.label is filled for music videos).

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Party mode play of smart playlists slow to change current song0