WIP Rockchip RK3399 devices running LibreELEC Kodi Leia
seems very stable

https://imgur.com/a/nOebyXe
even after several skip forward and back

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
Hey there ... I got my new RockPi4 on friday and it's working quite well with the latest nightly build!
UHD with HDR works GREAT!!!
The GUI (and I am using Aeon Nox Silvo) is really fast and snappy!

I posted some questions about it here: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/13642-...post111517
.... more to come

BR,
count
@wrxtasy 
As you know I am a recent convert to apple tv 4k , however , "her indoors" has now commandeered my box and its on the main lounge tv , so am looking for a box for my room for movies, tv shows and live tv (sport) , currently using a "mecool bb2 pro 3gb ram) , its watchable and it allows me to use kodi ( havent used MrMC on the apple box , I like my own skin ), however I want something that will scroll through icon lists without sticking plus i want live tv channels to load as near as instantly as possible like they do on the apple box, so what would you recommend , maybe openelec ( am not a big  android fan ) and i would like to be able to use the netflix addon in kodi.
I have tried flashing the bb2 with librelec think it is s912 ,just to see what it would run like, but haven't been able to do it , plus am not interested in dual boot.
(2019-02-19, 14:09)ontap Wrote: I have tried flashing the bb2 with librelec think it is s912 ,just to see what it would run like, but haven't been able to do it , plus am not interested in dual boot.

Flash the latest CoreELEC Leia to a microSDHC card and ask for help over on their forums.

A LOT of TV channel switching and optimisation has gone into it by one of the CE devs @afl1.
It's actually noticeably quicker vs my Apple TV 4K with (MrMC) for TV channel zapping and TV stream startup. Faster vs the RK3399 with LibreELEC as well.

A Wireless remote makes a hell of a difference to scrolling long lists and box responsiveness when using the Kodi user interface on any device.
It's due to the smaller Key repeat time delays built into the such remotes. Hold the down button and scroll fast.

Some like the dirt cheap ABOX bluetooth one when used with a CSR v4.0 BT USB dongle on a RK3399 or ODROID C2 are lightning quick.
I have not added support for that yet into CoreELEC or LibreELEC running on RockChip.

I would start with CoreELEC on your existing hardware and get a wireless remote if you do not already have one.
And you know what I usually recommend - the MINIX A2 lite. Kodi Keyboard shortcuts come in real handy after long term use.

Otherwise yes the RK3399 is one speedy setup as well - when used with a Wireless remote. Wink
TV Deinterlacing is working well for Sports viewing.
The Netflix Kodi Leia Addon when used on the RK3399 can CPU software decode 1080p, the S912 in your BB2 will be limited to 720p max.

I've got a RockPi4 coming from China any week now... For those that are already using one, did you go with the small heatsink or the large one that doubles as a case bottom?
(2019-02-20, 00:18)zaphod24 Wrote: I've got a RockPi4 coming from China any week now... For those that are already using one, did you go with the small heatsink or the large one that doubles as a case bottom?
 I'm using the small heatsink and it's OK - but it get's (really) hot ...
I'm searching for a better case; RASPI3 cases would fit, if it wasn't for the height (due to the heatsink) :-(
What is really hot? 80c? Hotter?

I’m hoping the optional large heat sink as an alternative case bottom works well...
(2019-02-21, 00:53)zaphod24 Wrote: What is really hot? 80c? Hotter?

I’m hoping the optional large heat sink as an alternative case bottom works well...
After 2 hours of whatching 720p and 1080p content it's too hot to touch; so it must be 60°C or more.
The temp-sensor indicates ~80°C, but that's irrelevant cause the SOC can take that easily.

Now I'm looking for a good case, where the RockPI4 can fit in with the small heatsink attached ....
Good advice again , now got box flashed with CoreELEC lets see how it performs , tx.
can the RK3399 SoC passthrough 24bits multichannel audio via LPCM? if so,

do you guys think a RockPi 4 is enough or should i go to a ROCKPro64/2gb/4gb maybe its a little overkill?
(2019-02-21, 21:39)bizuka Wrote: do you guys think a RockPi 4 is enough or should i go to a ROCKPro64/2gb/4gb maybe its a little overkill?
 Is there any "real" difference between RockPi4 2GB and ROCKpro64 2GB? I think there isn't ...
(2019-02-21, 21:39)bizuka Wrote: can the RK3399 SoC passthrough 24bits multichannel audio via LPCM?
My ROPI4 is currently not rigged to my AMP, so I'm not sure about the number of channels ... BUT my 24 bit 96kHz 5.1 flacs are being played fine (at least with stereo downmix) ... and clearly, crispy and without any disturbances audible on the attached TV.
(2019-02-21, 23:09)count.zero Wrote:
(2019-02-21, 21:39)bizuka Wrote: do you guys think a RockPi 4 is enough or should i go to a ROCKPro64/2gb/4gb maybe its a little overkill?
 Is there any "real" difference between RockPi4 2GB and ROCKpro64 2GB? I think there isn't ... 
yes they are the same  Tongue   my bad. anyway if anyone can provide some information about the 24bits i would apreciate!
count.zero are you happy with the rock soc? atm i'm only planning to play some 1080p remuxes which raspi3+ can do quite easily the upgrade was more for the 24bits and for 4K HDR in the future and ofc have a new toy to play with Cool
Quote:count.zero are you happy with the rock soc? atm i'm only planning to play some 1080p remuxes which raspi3+ can do quite easily the upgrade was more for the 24bits and for 4K HDR in the future and ofc have a new toy to play with

YES, most defenitely I am ... great and flawless HDR picture on my telly ... the only thing is that Passthrough Dolby-Atmos and DTS:X isn't working (but it's beeing worked on, as far as I read somewhere)  ... but that doesn't bother me much at the moment because of LPCM ...

My only complaint is the case ... I hope someone is "creating" a buyable version in the future wich is a bit more "securing" for the interfaces ... maybe made of aluminium and fitting well.
(2019-02-22, 10:30)count.zero Wrote:
Quote:count.zero are you happy with the rock soc? atm i'm only planning to play some 1080p remuxes which raspi3+ can do quite easily the upgrade was more for the 24bits and for 4K HDR in the future and ofc have a new toy to play with

YES, most defenitely I am ... great and flawless HDR picture on my telly ... the only thing is that Passthrough Dolby-Atmos and DTS:X isn't working (but it's beeing worked on, as far as I read somewhere)  ... but that doesn't bother me much at the moment because of LPCM ...

My only complaint is the case ... I hope someone is "creating" a buyable version in the future wich is a bit more "securing" for the interfaces ... maybe made of aluminium and fitting well.   
Worth adding that the HDR picture may be flawless on your particular display, but the lack of any mastering display and MaxCLL/MaxFALL metadata being passed through doesn't mean it will be flawless for everybody, as that metadata is used by displays to improve their rendering of HDR content, and without it others may get a less-than-flawless result.  AIUI at the moment the Rockchip solutions are just passing through EOTF flags - triggering TVs into HDR mode - but not sending any more metadata than that. 

In some cases the difference between display with the correct metadata and without the correct metadata may be subtle, but without metadata, you can't expect the best quality possible (what I would describe as flawless) on all displays.  You may end up with 'good enough' or 'perfectly acceptable' - not sure you'll end up with flawless.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3399 devices running LibreELEC Kodi Leia0