• 207(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Ok guys. my m8s pro+ running on libreelec 8 got burnt through lighting... I worked and served me well but now it is a good opportunity to search for a new better android box.
I want a device that does not need to run libreelec to get all the good stuff... smooth video playback 1080p and 4k with auto refresh switching and real 4k resolution but I want all these good stuff on android itself running kodi.
Is there such a box below $60 price range?

I don't want to dual boot to libreelec but i want everything on android.
(2019-02-19, 07:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-02-19, 07:20)mudkipz Wrote:  Can the Vodafone dual boot CoreELEC with an SD card or is it an Android only machine?
Android TV only, just like all the other - bootloader locked, AMLogic Android TV certified devices. 
VTV works great for what I need, I'm really pleased with the purchase. Thanks for the recommendation.

Are there any apps you would recommend that would allow me to use my phone/tablet as a remote mouse - would save me from having to buy an A2 Lite and having the original VTV remote go unused.
(2019-02-21, 08:09)mudkipz Wrote: Are there any apps you would recommend that would allow me to use my phone/tablet as a remote mouse - would save me from having to buy an A2 Lite and having the original VTV remote go unused.

Support thread for this Aussie only device is over on the Whirlpool Forum (click)

(2019-02-20, 21:41)k1lerbee Wrote: Ok guys. my m8s pro+ running on libreelec 8 got burnt through lighting... I worked and served me well but now it is a good opportunity to search for a new better android box.
I want a device that does not need to run libreelec to get all the good stuff... smooth video playback 1080p and 4k with auto refresh switching and real 4k resolution but I want all these good stuff on android itself running kodi.
Is there such a box below $60 price range?

I don't want to dual boot to libreelec but i want everything on android.

Closest you will get is an Amazon FireTV Stick 4K.

You definitely will NOT get the same features you enjoy with LibreELEC on a cheap AMLogic device running only Android Kodi.

thx for your reply.

how about the mecool m8s pro l ? how is kodi performance on android on this device?
(2019-02-22, 19:18)k1lerbee Wrote: thx for your reply.

how about the mecool m8s pro l ? how is kodi performance on android on this device?

You definitely will NOT get the same features you enjoy with LibreELEC on a cheap AMLogic device running only Android Kodi.

BUT at least you can dual boot and run CoreELEC Kodi with that device.

(2019-02-23, 01:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-02-22, 19:18)k1lerbee Wrote: thx for your reply.

BUT at least you can dual boot and run CoreELEC Kodi with that device. 
ok thx... if I am not going to get better performance with s912 .. better stick to cheaper s905x then?
how about the khadas vim? it has s905x but about same price as the s912 boxes but it seems to have many custom dev (linux, libreelec, multi os, etc...)
Its performance cannot be compared to a decent S912 box. S912 has more processor power, AC WiFi, 1Gb ethernet...
S912 boxes also have custom Linux, LibreElec-Kodi, CoreElec-Kodi, dualboot Android/Elec.
(2019-02-23, 21:10)k1lerbee Wrote: how about the khadas vim? it has s905x but about same price as the s912 boxes but it seems to have many custom dev (linux, libreelec, multi os, etc...)

In the S905X realm, I heard mentioned that the Libre Computer Board AML-S905X-CC (Le Potato) is the preferred S905X CoreELEC developers device. Wink

And if there is one bit of advice you might want to tuck under you cap and remember - it's follow which devices the developers are using as their daily media players.

thx! I have now switched my sights on amazon fireTV 4k... seems to be the best budget Kodi box .... how is it as compared to librelec on an s905x or s912?
(2019-02-24, 08:11)k1lerbee Wrote: thx! I have now switched my sights on amazon fireTV 4k... seems to be the best budget Kodi box .... how is it as compared to librelec on an s905x or s912?
 Nowhere near as good IME.

No HD audio bitstreaming, poor support for a lot of interlaced content, no support for VC-1 hardware decoding (and not enough CPU power for software decoding), audio sync issues etc.

it's also a very compromised solution for Netflix and other streaming services, as while Amazon Prime video has frame rate switching, the others are fixed at the system frame rate.
Darn already ordered it. Will see if it fits my needs... There are lots of praise on the firetv 4k reviews and thread
As a Kodi only player, does the U9-H match the Shield in playback performance? Both being faster than a Vero 4K+?
(2019-03-09, 00:45)Roen Wrote: As a Kodi only player, does the U9-H match the Shield in playback performance? Both being faster than a Vero 4K+?

The CoreELEC release on the U9 is an OS dedicated to optimising and running Kodi Leia as bug free as possible, CE has a bunch of dedicated, passionate developers working on it and the AMLogic specific version of Kodi Leia. It's a more open platform vs Android.

Android Kodi Leia on the Shield is a generic Android version of Kodi, in reality @peak3d seems to take the bulk of Android Kodi specific support and does a might fine job. @fritsch fiddles around a bit as well, mainly with audio.

I'm not sure how you define playback performance.
Older video compression standards like VC-1 and mpeg4 will playback noticeably better with CoreELEC on the U9. The Shield would counter with better CPU Software decode performance for non standard stuff like 1080p Hi10P Anime.

The U9 can hardware decode VP9 Profile 2 which is what Youtube use for 4K HDR. The Shield has no Hardware decode support for that one.

I've always trusted AMLogic LibreELEC / CoreELEC / OSMC deinterlacing a LOT more vs anything used on Android platforms.

Full blown bug free 4K HDR Kodi Leia support still has holes and teething issues on both platforms. (See the HDR Limitations thread)

The GPU in the Shield is more powerful vs the U9, you will get a bit snappier user interface - Kodi performance.
If Chromecasting, Android and it's Apps is the primary use - then get the Shield, especially if you want 4K HDR, Atmos Kodi Leia Netflix Addon usage.
Android 8.x Oreo is superior on the Shield vs the much older Android 6.x Marshmallow on the U9.

Otherwise I prefer the dedicated Linux based Kodi platforms (LibreELEC / CoreELEC / OSMC), where the developers can quickly bug bust the whole OS - AND the underlying Linux Kernel and drivers vs any Android box - where you are at the mercy of the Android vendors (and Google) to release a Firmware update.

Ultimately what I'm finding as the gap narrows between platforms for Kodi usage - is that the integrated Wireless remote packaged with devices, that dictates what I mainly use. It's a reliability ease of use consideration for Gorilla sized male hands.
The MINIX A2 lite mini keyboard remote is my favourite for long term Kodi usage - it's Kodi Keyboard shortcuts come in real handy for me personally. Batteries last 8 month or more of daily punishment. (I do NOT recommend the successor MINIX A3 lite remote with it's wake from sleep issues)

Wink

• 207(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28