• 1(current)
Video stretched on Phillips TV after update
Hi there. One of my Kodi machines updated to latest 18.1 today. More specifically a Philips TV running Android 8.

Anyway, I had some major problems onthis machine with video playback. I first noticed several movies with aspect ratio 2.35:1 got stretched to at least 3:1 making the black bars twice as thick as they should be.
Here's a debug log for that: https://paste.kodi.tv/oxusagabep.kodi

And when I started an episode of Game of Thrones (to check if 16:9 video did the sam, which it didn't) I noticed some of the video files had a teriible stutter when playing them.
Here's a debug log for that too: https://paste.kodi.tv/kilohivuqi.kodi

I don't know what to make from the logs, but I noticed there was a hell of a lot of errors in the second one.
I have Kodi 18.1 running on my Nvidia Shield aswell and there I have no problems with aspect ratio.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or does someone know how to fix it?

EDIT: Solved. See post #135
@Tobby nothing has changed regarding vide aspect ratio.
For stutter issues pls. enable video component debugging, and provide another log

Edit: No need to send a debug log for your stutter, ffmpeg s/w decode is choosen because your h/w devoder does not support the codec profile level.
Means, that your CPU on philips has not enough power to decode.

Edit2: For your aspect issue I suggest that you re-install kodi and does not change any settings, then start your movies again.
Most probably there are settings active which produce this behaviour.
(2019-03-02, 19:22)peak3d Wrote: @Tobby nothing has changed regarding vide aspect ratio.
For stutter issues pls. enable video component debugging, and provide another log

Edit: No need to send a debug log for your stutter, ffmpeg s/w decode is choosen because your h/w devoder does not support the codec profile level.
Means, that your CPU on philips has not enough power to decode.

Edit2: For your aspect issue I suggest that you re-install kodi and does not change any settings, then start your movies again.
Most probably there are settings active which produce this behaviour.
Thanks for your reply. I'll try doing a reinstall.

Edit: After reinstalling Kodi the issue is still there. Gonna try an older build.

Edit: 18.0 didn't work either. Now I really don't know what to do.
Update: After a few more searches I found a fix in this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=232797.
After deactivating hardware acceleration (not surface) in Settings/Player/Videos/Processing the picture is now correct again.

Could this have anything to do with my TV's firmware?
Another update. Turning off hardware acceleration helped the aspect ratio problem, but I'm not getting smooth playback of the larger files without it. Is there a solution that means I can fix the aspect ratio, but still use hardware acceleration. It's worked before.
I’d like to mention I’m unfortunately experiencing exactly the same issues after I installing android tv 8 on my philips 65pus8102. These issues wern’t present when I still had android tv 7.1, so I would think these issue’s are somehow related to the new android tv 8 firmware. Hopefully the Kodi developers, who I am already very thankful for all their hard work, are able to fix this issue or Philips rolls out an additional firmware update to fix this, movies can’t be enjoyed this way.
I just read in the comments at the blog of toengel (philips tv news) people also seem to experience this issue with other video apps like the amazon app. This makes it more obvious the issue is related to the android o update and not to kodi I think?
I'm sure it's tempting to install Kodi directly onto your Android TV, but the number of problems with each of the Android 7/8/9 implementations seems to still growing. But each TV manufacturer has its own views on how to implement their firmware (just like with CEC), while Kodi tries to follow the Android standards. And somewhere along the line there are differences popping up.

And personally I'm not a fan of the extensive 'phone home' services in smart TVs these days.
(2019-03-07, 01:36)Braxnl Wrote: I’d like to mention I’m unfortunately experiencing exactly the same issues after I installing android tv 8 on my philips 65pus8102. These issues wern’t present when I still had android tv 7.1, so I would think these issue’s are somehow related to the new android tv 8 firmware. Hopefully the Kodi developers, who I am already very thankful for all their hard work, are able to fix this issue or Philips rolls out an additional firmware update to fix this, movies can’t be enjoyed this way.
I have an ongoing discussion with the Philips support aswell. I'll update you if they say anything of value.
(2019-03-07, 12:18)Klojum Wrote: I'm sure it's tempting to install Kodi directly onto your Android TV, but the number of problems with each of the Android 7/8/9 implementations seems to still growing. But each TV manufacturer has its own views on how to implement their firmware (just like with CEC), while Kodi tries to follow the Android standards. And somewhere along the line there are differences popping up.

And personally I'm not a fan of the extensive 'phone home' services in smart TVs these days.
 What would you recommend? I've used a PC before, but it's a bit clunky using mouse and keyboard. Plus they're expensive. I have a Nvidia Shield in the bedroom which has worked perfectly, but I guess the same could very well happen to that aswell.
Our experience is that with Nvidia you will have the least issues
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2019-03-08, 18:23)Martijn Wrote: Our experience is that with Nvidia you will have the least issues
 Thanks. I'll see where this leads, but I'll have it in mind if I get tired of them.
Hi Martijn, same issue here on a philips 55 9002 recently updated to Oreo.
Have you got some news from philips supports? I'm also try to downgrade to kodi 17.6 but nothings changed. Instead no problem with amazon but same issue with plex or emby.
Any news on this? My Philips also updated to Oreo and problem with 2.35:1 aspect ratio started to occur on Kodi 18.0 and 18.1. Same Kodi versions didn't have this problem under Andriod 7.0 on my 65PUS7803 Philips TV.
Just updated my Philips 65OLED873 to Android 8 and now I got this wrong aspect ratio on 2.35:1 movies, when I use the build in Plex app. 
Did they come up with anything usefull at the Philips support?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stretched on Phillips TV after update1