sorting by full date with month and day and reading it too, to sort files
I use Picard to tagg my albums and rename the filestructure with the full length of date, with month and day, but I learned that Kodi doesnt sort by month and day. Kodi only sorts by year and then by Albumname. Is there any workaround with advancedsettings for example to have kodi sorting by year, month, day - albumnameHuh
Simply put, sorry no.

I hope that one day your tagging won't be wasted, however the folder names don't matter to the music library at all, name then however you like.

Not only does Kodi only sort by year, but it only stores year in the database as well. I hope to do something about that for v19, make better use of the various date related tags, give users some flexibility. I would also love to rework sorting - do it in db not memory, allow user more configureability of sorts etc. - but that is a lot of work, so no timescales set for it.

But that is all jam tomorrow....
There are very few artists that are so prolific in their output that sorting by anything other than year would make sense. Musicbrainz is also inconsistent in using year, year-month or year-month-day for date related tags. Other services never use anything but year. Personally I cannot see a reason for more finegrained sorting in Kodi and won't ever expect it.
(2019-03-17, 19:49)HeresJohnny Wrote: There are very few artists that are so prolific in their output that sorting by anything other than year would make sense. Musicbrainz is also inconsistent in using year, year-month or year-month-day for date related tags. Other services never use anything but year. Personally I cannot see a reason for more finegrained sorting in Kodi and won't ever expect it.
Thats really sad and maybe a little underestimating the users. I have a lot of music and when it comes to David Bowie, Prince, Ray Charles and other Jazz-musician that where very buissy in their hot years I try to get so much of their work as I can and in Picard I always overwrite originaldate with the recorddate to see his work sorted by his real progress in talent and influences. I'm very happy that Kodi 19 gives the ability to sort by originaldate but thats only the half of it. So I still use workarounds to append that full date in the album-name-tag.

Its interesting to see how for example ray charles progresses his style when he switched from Swingtime-Label to Atlantic and then to ABC and later his own Label (the same for Prince) but the originaldates from Musicbrainz mix these workperiods very much.

So I hope there will be a way to solve this in the future but I absolutely understand that this is a lot of work and I appreciate it since many years! You guys have done a great job so far, remembering my first XBMC on my first chiped XBOX in 2001! Thank for that!
@Prospero1980 v19 has the ability to read both release date and original release date from tags and store as ISO 8601 dates (YYYY-MM-DD) and to sort and filter albms and songs using them. No longer limited to just year. I have no idea why you see that as "only half of it"  or still need to sue workarounds in the album name.
(2020-12-14, 01:10)DaveBlake Wrote: @Prospero1980 v19 has the ability to read both release date and original release date from tags and store as ISO 8601 dates (YYYY-MM-DD) and to sort and filter albums and songs using them. No longer limited to just year. I have no idea why you see that as "only half of it"  or still need to sue workarounds in the album name.
OK,  you are right, sorry. I'am happy that it works. There was something confusing me and maybe its a translation problem in the settings.

When I tried Kodi 19 alpha the first time I set language to german and in the media settings I found the new setting in german "Original Releasejahr anstelle von Album-Releasejahr verwenden" and that, reverse translatet means "original year instead of album release year“ . I thought this is a switch between two different tags.

If Kodi Language is set to  english it says „use original release date of album for year“ what means use only the 4 digit year oft he 8 digit %originaldate% for sorting.

So I turned it on thinking that this enables the new 8 digit %originaldate%-feature. In the Music-Menu I set sorting by year as usual and thought that it would now use the „%originaldate%“ tag from Musicbrainz (picard).
But that didnt work, what seemed to me as it would surely use the originaldate but only with the four digits.

On that point I said in the forum – good to use %originaldate% but why only the halfe o fit.

But yet I found out that I should not set this new setting „on“ because only if it is off I can find the new „original date“ sorting available in the music-view-menu and can sort my albums by the full originaldate with month and day.

I'm happy about that – good work!

But let me go a little bit deeper for other USERS:

This is what MUSICBRAINZ sais about these kind of tags

Date  = Release Date (YYYY-MM-DD) - the date that the release was issued.

Originaldate - Release Date (YYYY-MM-DD) of the earliest release in the Release Group intended to provide, for example, the release date of the vinyl version of what you have on CD. (Included as standard from Picard 0.15, and using the Original Release Date plugin if you are still using a non-NGS version earlier than Picard 0.15)

If you are storing tags in MP3 files as ID3v2.3 (which is the Windows and iTunes compatible version) then the original date can only be stored as a year.
[align=start]
Originalyear (not used in KODI)
Year of the original Release Date intended for release year of the original recording. YYYY[/align]

I use the originaldate-tag for the actual recording date because I like to have posthume found and released recordings sorted that way. I find it odd to have an early recorded live performance on the end oft he discography only because it was locked in a vault for 30 years. And in Case of John Coltrane perhaps who recorded 5 albums in 1957 it is important to me to have that  sorted with month and day.

MusicBrainz provides only two kind of date in full YYYY-MM-DD form, %date% and %originaldate% This is what I have testet now in KODI:

now there should be a link to a snippet of an excelsheet linked to my onedrive (ho do i embed a picture directly?)
Kodifor sorting usedEstuaryAon Nox SilvioMedia SettingsMusic View SettingsMusicBrainz Taginfo "left upper corner " showing in shift view info "right" showing in shift view info "under" album name in shift view use original release date of albums for year ID3v2.4ID3v2.3 appears asappears asappears asoffyear%date% XXXX%date% XXXX%date% XXXX%date% XXXX%date% XXXXofforiginal date%originaldate% XXXX-XX-XX%originaldate% XXXX%date% XXXX%date% XXXX%originaldate% XX-XX-XXXXonyear%originaldate% XXXX%originaldate% XXXX%originaldate% XXXX%originaldate% XXXX%originaldate% XXXXonoriginal date not availabenot availabenot availabenot availabenot availabe

You see there is only one way to sort albums by year month and date at this 19 beta 2 Release of KODI , with originaldate in id3v2.4.

For what purpose, as you mentioned above,  is date also stored in YYYY-MM-DD if you cant chose/use it in any way. Especially since it couldnt be stripped by accidently wrong id3 tagger settings.

I'm sure there are more things I dont understand now but maybe I could show something.

For the german translation of that media-setting in Kodi I propose "Originaldate nur vierstellig nutzen"

Ok this is a lot of text for a german KODI - nerd with medium english-abilities. I hope it helps someone somehow and thanks for reading it all! [/size]
I do not use Piccard, but I agree with your suggestions:  for mp3 music files use ID3 2.4 tags if possible.  That gives best results in Kodi 19.  For the dates, 2.4 has TDRC and TDOR tags which provide the ISO yyyy-mm-dd formats.  You might also check out mp3tag tagging program.  The author is German (Dresden) and there is a forum in Deutsch.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2020-12-30, 21:53)scott967 Wrote: I do not use Piccard, but I agree with your suggestions:  for mp3 music files use ID3 2.4 tags if possible.  That gives best results in Kodi 19.  For the dates, 2.4 has TDRC and TDOR tags which provide the ISO yyyy-mm-dd formats.  You might also check out mp3tag tagging program.  The author is German (Dresden) and there is a forum in Deutsch.

scott s.
Why should I check another tagging program? Kodi works best with MB and therefore I use Picard. I just wanted to figure out, that MB only has two dates in YYYY-MM-DD format (%date% and %originaldate%) And Kodi uses only %originaldate%. Dave Blake said that a second date is now stored in YYYY-MM-YY but you cant use it at the moment for sorting or showing in Kodi.

I know mp3tag since the early 2000s, then I used Helium Music Manager for long years, what is a very powerful tool but since I know MB and Picard I have never found something better. The scipting gives so much freedom and after all Kodi relays on it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sorting by full date with month and day and reading it too, to sort files0