• 535(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
An update: I thought I would start from the beginning again just to make sure I hadn't missed a step. So  I booted to Ubuntu USB, loaded the E-Z script, and flashed the coreboot for standalone again. The flash went fine. But after reboot, I cannot get into the boot manager by pressing "esc" when the logo on the screen comes up - the Chromebox goes straight to Libreelec on the SSD before I can stop it. Tried the USB keyoboard in different ports, still the same result.

And librelelec is still buffering like crazy when I get into it. Only grub.cfg on my install, no syslinux.cfg
(2019-03-09, 13:43)malcolmbarr Wrote: An update: I thought I would start from the beginning again just to make sure I hadn't missed a step. So  I booted to Ubuntu USB, loaded the E-Z script, and flashed the coreboot for standalone again. The flash went fine. But after reboot, I cannot get into the boot manager by pressing "esc" when the logo on the screen comes up - the Chromebox goes straight to Libreelec on the SSD before I can stop it. Tried the USB keyoboard in different ports, still the same result.

And librelelec is still buffering like crazy when I get into it. Only grub.cfg on my install, no syslinux.cfg
Look for extlinux.conf in /flash if there is no syslinux.cfg.  This is in Matt's Wiki page.
Why I type nano/flash/extlinux.conf I get a file not found message. The only one of the three files listed in the wiki I have is grub.cfg, which I have modified and does not work.

Also puzzled as to why I can no longer get to the boot menu via hitting esc during boot up.

Thanks for trying to help.
On getting to the boot menu: if I reboot with no usb stick inserted, I can get into the firmware options menu via "esc". But if I have either a Libreelec or Ubuntu usb stick inserted when I reboot, "esc" does not workand the Chromebox goes straight to booting from the SSD. So having flashed to the new firmware, I can now no longer boot from USB.
(2019-03-10, 10:36)malcolmbarr Wrote: On getting to the boot menu: if I reboot with no usb stick inserted, I can get into the firmware options menu via "esc". But if I have either a Libreelec or Ubuntu usb stick inserted when I reboot, "esc" does not workand the Chromebox goes straight to booting from the SSD. So having flashed to the new firmware, I can now no longer boot from USB.
 sigh. clearly your USB drive and keyboard are having trouble getting along.  Try booting without USB stick, hit ESC / go into firmware options, insert USB, go to Boot Manager and check if listed.  If so, select and boot it.  If not, go to Boot Maintenance Manager and choose 'reset system' and see if you can select it on a warm reboot

If this is a clean install of LE 9.0 on my UEFI firmware, then /flash/syslinux.cfg is the correct file. I don't know how you'd end up with a different setup than what I have here on my boxes. /flash/grub.cfg is never correct. /flash/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg might exist, but is not used on my setup
Tried a different USB keyboard and now I can get into the boot menu and select a usb device. Thanks.

This Chromebox had been set up using your script for Openelec some time ago. This time around, I have
(a) booted to Ubuntu from a USB
(b) run your script from terminal to update standalone coreboot, and then
© installed Libreelec 9 from USB

Is there a step I am missing for a "clean" install. Seems like somehow an overhand from the prior install might be getting in the way?

thanks for your help.
So I just did the following. Booted to Ubuntu usb and deleted all disk partitions with GParted. Booted to Libreelec 9.01 usb install media and did a fresh install. Enabled SSH on entering Kodi. Reboot, then SSH in as explained in the wiki. I have no syslunix.cfg, only grub.cfg.
(2019-03-10, 12:36)malcolmbarr Wrote: So I just did the following. Booted to Ubuntu usb and deleted all disk partitions with GParted. Booted to Libreelec 9.01 usb install media and did a fresh install. Enabled SSH on entering Kodi. Reboot, then SSH in as explained in the wiki. I have no syslunix.cfg, only grub.cfg.
 ssh in, then:
ls -lart /flash | pastebinit
ls -lart /flash/EFI/BOOT | pastebinit

post the resulting URLs
Here you go......

http://ix.io/1Day

http://ix.io/1DaC

thanks again
(2019-03-11, 00:41)malcolmbarr Wrote: Here you go......

http://ix.io/1Day

http://ix.io/1DaC

thanks again
 link 1 shows /flash/syslinux.cfg exists, why do you keep insisting it doesn't?  That's the file you need to edit, as per my instructions
From the wiki:

nano /flash/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg

That is the command I have been entering. If I am reading the contents of the first link above correctly, this file is not in the EFI/BOOT/ sub directory but in /flash/ itself.
(2019-03-11, 07:58)malcolmbarr Wrote: From the wiki:

nano /flash/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg

That is the command I have been entering. If I am reading the contents of the first link above correctly, this file is not in the EFI/BOOT/ sub directory but in /flash/ itself.
I've corrected the wiki page, but that doesn't negate that I told you the proper file two pages back ;-)
(2019-03-08, 19:12)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-03-08, 17:22)malcolmbarr Wrote: Help!

I have installed standalone Libreelec 9.01 on a CN60 Chromebox using the EZ setup script. I have also added the "pci=nomsi" line to grub.cfg as explained in the wiki. But my ethernet link is still unusably bad with buffering occurring all the time when the bitrate of the source material is at all high. The step of adding to grub.cfg does not appear to have meaningfully changed the ethernet performance, and I have checked to see the pci-nomsi addition is there after 'quiet'.

This is accessing media stored locally on the network via SMB. Accessing the same media over the network via SMB from a windows PC, all works well.

Any help much appreciated.
on a fresh install of LE9 in conjunction with my UEFI firmware, the proper file to edit is /flash/syslinux.cfg, not grub.cfg  
You are right. I didn’t spot that.

Thanks a lot for your patience and help.
Very happy to report all is well now the correct file has been edited - Matt, thanks very much again for your help.
Hello Everyone,

I just Picked up an Asus Chromebox CN60. (This is the Second one I have the first one is running with Libraelec and Kodi)
I did try instructions given in the Wiki to remove the Write protection Screw and when I try to get the device to developer mode nothing happens. It just stays with a black screen.

The process I am following is

1. Insert the paperclip in the reset hole
2. Power on the Chromebox while holding the paperclip
3. Remove the paperclip and wait

Nothing comes up on the screen. It's just a blank screen. I have tried the same multiple time.
If I don't press the reset hole and boot the device it is login into the Chrome os and Asking to set it up.

I am intending to install a 256GB SSD and Windows 10 on it which can then run Kodi.
Please do let me know what am I doing wrong.
  • 535(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37