Solved Updated Kodi on Ubuntu 18.04.2 does not play ts (MPEG transposrt stream)
For a few weeks now, Kodi does not play any MPEG transport stream media (i.e. RecordedTV.ts). I can find no forum reference to this problem so I suspect that the issue is related to my own installation.

When I attempt to play such media by selecting a media file or trying to play live TV, nothing happens. The GUI is not blocked and I can go on to select any action from the GUI. No log entry is recorded in the Kodi log or in the system journal.

Some of the ts recordings that I cannot play are many years old and played perfectly until this problem started.

These same recordings and Live TV (using the same backend tvheadend) work perfectly on my Fedora desktop.

Here are the details of my Kodi installation (team-xbmc stable):
   Starting Kodi (18.1 Git:20190217-8cfdc89). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
   Using Release Kodi x64 build
   Kodi compiled 2019-02-17 by GCC 7.3.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.15.18 (266002)
   Running on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.15.0-46-generic
   FFmpeg version/source: 4.0.3-Kodi

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this please?
Rename it to .mp4 please ... (I know this makes no sense, but a decision was made concerning fast switching times for iptv users vs. ordinary files that don't play anymore.)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-03-29, 09:51)fritsch Wrote: Rename it to .mp4 please ... (I know this makes no sense, but a decision was made concerning fast switching times for iptv users vs. ordinary files that don't play anymore.)
Thanks for the suggestion fritsch. I have just tried renaming a .ts file to .mp4 (that always played before) and the file still does not play.

For completeness here are the symptons that I see:
* cannot play .ts, .mkv files
* cannot play Live TV from TVHeadend
* can play .iso files

The strange thing is that from Kodi installed on my Desktop Fedora machine I can play all files and watch Live TV from the same TVHeadend backend.
I don't know if it is important bu the version of Kodi on the Fedora machine is slightly more recent:
    Starting Kodi from RPM Fusion (18.1 Git:20190220-nogitfound). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
    Using Release Kodi x64 build
    Kodi compiled 2019-02-20 by GCC 8.2.1 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.20.8 (267272)
    Running on Fedora 29 (Workstation Edition), kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64
    FFmpeg version/source: 4.0.3

I suspect that the problem started when I updated Kodi.

Any one have any other ideas?
In that case: Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Many thanks for your help - I have uploaded the log file to tegorufafi (paste)

These are the actions that I took to reproduce the problem (times are as indicated in the log):
07:53 tried to play Live TV and saw nothing
07:54 tried to play a ts file and saw nothing
07:57 tried to play a mkv file and saw nothing
07:58 played successfully an iso file

I tool a look at the log and I see only the following entries from 07:53 to 07:57:
 2019-03-30 07:54:34.299 T:140715812931328 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting
 2019-03-30 07:58:38.006 T:140716779979712 ERROR: Previous line repeats 6 times.

At those times I see no relevant entries in the system journal except that tvheadend reports successfull connection from Kodi just after restarting Kodi
2019-03-30 07:52:49.737 T:140716779979712 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Please enable debugging, restart Kodi, and reproduce the problem(s), and provide a new debug log (wiki). Do not disable debugging in between.
(2019-03-30, 09:56)Klojum Wrote: 2019-03-30 07:52:49.737 T:140716779979712 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Please enable debugging, restart Kodi, and reproduce the problem(s), and provide a new debug log (wiki). Do not disable debugging in between.

Sorry about that.  Many thanks. I'll try again.
there was another report of a broken fedora kodi package. You can try our flatpak version instead
Here is the link to the much more interesting log: ujuqerufok (paste)

These are the actions that I took to reproduce the problem (times are as indicated in the log):
09:02 tried to play Live TV and saw nothing
09:03 tried to play a ts file and saw nothing
09:04 tried to play a mkv file and saw nothing
09:05 played successfully an iso file

Many thanks
Ah sorry, disregard, you're using Ubuntu here
(2019-03-30, 10:12)wsnipex Wrote: Ah sorry, disregard, you're using Ubuntu here

Indeed, My Fedora Kodi works perfectly.
I've looked at the entries regarding playing a .ts file in both the Ubuntu Kodi debug log https://paste.kodi.tv/ujuqerufok and the Fedora Kodi log.  As I see it here are the key differences:

Ubuntu Kodi (this does not play the .ts file):
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: matched 1 rules with players
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: adding videodefaultplayer (VideoPlayer)
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: for video=1, audio=0
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: for video=1, audio=1
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: added 2 players
DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader 139852966098688 terminating

Fedora Kodi (this plays the ts file successfully):
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: matched 0 rules with players
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: adding videodefaultplayer (VideoPlayer)
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: for video=1, audio=0
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: for video=1, audio=1
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: added 1 players
DEBUG: Radio UECP (RDS) Processor - new CDVDRadioRDSData
NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: /home/stephen/Slow/Videos/Doctor Who.ts
DEBUG: OnPlayBackStarted: CApplication::OnPlayBackStarted
DEBUG: Thread VideoPlayer start, auto delete: false
DEBUG: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
NOTICE: Creating InputStream

The difference seems to be that VideoPlayer is not opening the ts file or starting.
Is there any additional logging that would help identifying why this is happening?
DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: added 2 players <- I have seen this in the original log, therefore I highly wonder as I don't see any advancedsettings.xml

Could you move ~/.kodi out of the way and test again without any addons installed?
I did as you suggest and .ts and .mkv files can now be played!!  Thanks!

Does this mean that it is defintely an AddOn causing the problem or could be a configuration setting that is invalid/incorrect?
In the end I just recreated my Kodi configuration.  Problem resolved thanks to fritsch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated Kodi on Ubuntu 18.04.2 does not play ts (MPEG transposrt stream)1