• 210(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-04-02, 04:16)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-02, 02:42)Sjors125 Wrote: @wrxtasy It's a shame I can't give you a thumbs up for each and every time you update this topic. You are a mediaplayer hero and everytime someone asks me about mediaplayers I refer to this topic. Keep up the good work. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers. Appreciated.
Quote:What do you think about the players from Zappiti? I've read that people are trying to get Kodi working on them. If Zappiti = Dune, then it's quality should be ok, but the price is very high compared to other mediaplayers.
Some time ago, I asked you about the Eminent 7680 in this topic. You then said it was just an ordinary player. I've used it for some time now and I am content with it, and see it also being advised for Kodi here and there. Has your opinion changed, or do you still think it is ordinary. And more to the point, what is "ordinary" in this case. Good? Good enough? Mediocre? Nothing special?

Over the years there is one thing that stands out - and that is buying something that is both mainstream & popular gives users a strong chance that a device will be supported for a pretty long time AND get all important, timely Firmware updates. That is really, really important, especially if you head down the Android road.

The other path to take are the Open Source solutions for Kodi - like LibreELEC, OSMC or CoreELEC. The more (passionate) developers the better, and very often these guys are ahead of the mainstream devices for Kodi features support.

I've no experience with Zappiti or Dune. @hdmkv or someone else may have some input.
But if a device is a really narrowly focussed, custom solution selling into a very limited market then I would be wary of any device long term. 
You're welcome!

So what about the Eminent? It is running LibreElec. LibreElec has a lot of support obviously, but I haven't seen a Leia version yet, to download. At least, not in the update menu of this mediaplayer.
The Eminent is capable of HEVC, HDR, 4k etc and is quite affordable.
I believe the Eminent 7680 is a standard, dirt cheap AMLogic S905X with 1GB RAM 8GB ROM, just dressed up in a fancier box.
Like all S905X boxes, will only have 100Mbps Ethernet, which is too slow for 4K HDR Bluray Rips - which need Gigabit.

1GB RAM is Not enough for the Android OS really, it will bog down. It should run CoreELEC Kodi Leia OK. You only need 1GB RAM there.
Looks WAY overpriced to me. (EUR 119,50 on Amazon.de)

If the Vero 4K+ is in the same price range, that would be a much better buy. A LOT better support from the OSMC/Vero crew as well.

The MINIX U9 with a AMLogic S912 for example is faster than the S905 series chipsets. They often come packaged with a superior MINIX A2 lite wireless keyboard remote. (one of my personal favourite remotes).
Cheaper (Gigabit) S912 devices include the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6 and the H96 Pro Plus as examples.

Both the Vero 4K+ and most of the S912's have Gigabit Ethernet.

@wrxtasy I have not many 4k rips, but did fouind out that it can take more time to load the movie indeed. Mine is not running on Android, but on LibreElec. I have a Minix U9-H too, but that one went to the bedroom, to have Netflix, Amazon, etc there too.
My Eminent was € 94 when I bought it.

Thanks for your in depth explanation.
How is the Mecool MII pro in terms of stability with Libreelec? (and occasional android operation)
(2019-04-02, 06:29)wrxtasy Wrote: The MINIX U9 with a AMLogic S912 for example is faster than the S905 series chipsets. They often come packaged with a superior MINIX A2 lite wireless keyboard remote. (one of my personal favourite remotes).
Cheaper (Gigabit) S912 devices include the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6 and the H96 Pro Plus as examples.

would you recommend an s912 box over the s905d?

my only usage of the box will be occasional netlflix, kodi and curiositystream
(2019-04-09, 14:18)theweeknd Wrote: would you recommend an s912 box over the s905d?

my only usage of the box will be occasional netlflix, kodi and curiositystream

For 100% bulletproof guarantees that 1080p Netflix will work now and into the future you need a Netflix Approved device running an actual Netflx App.

Meaning:

- Amazon FireTV's like the new 4K stick
- NVIDIA Shield
- Xiaomi Mi Box
- Jetstream 4K Ultra HD (USA only)
- Vodafone TV (Australia only)

The MINIX U9 running Android Marshmallow with it included Widevine L1 DRM plays 1080p Netflix just fine, but you have to use the Kodi Leia Addon.
In fact for Android I prefer the Addon because Kodi auto Frame Rate Matching then works.

But you always run the risk of Netflix finding a way to block this from working. Like Amazon did with the Kodi Leia Prime Addon recently.

The WeTek Air sold in Portugal might be the only one with legit Widevine L1 DRM & a S905D chipset. Really not sure.

Gigabit Ethernet devices are always quicker for networking anything vs the 100Mbit only variants.

(2019-04-09, 18:13)wrxtasy Wrote: The MINIX U9 running Android Marshmallow with it included Widevine L1 DRM plays 1080p Netflix just fine, but you have to use the Kodi Leia Addon.
In fact for Android I prefer the Addon because Kodi auto Frame Rate Matching then works.

But you always run the risk of Netflix finding a way to block this from working. Like Amazon did with the Kodi Leia Prime Addon recently.
For the moment (who knows how long) Odroid N2 on CoreElec 9.0 devel/Kodi Leia 18.1 runs NF in 1080p with subtitles without any problems. (It's inputstream.adaptive SW decoded)
(2019-04-09, 20:38)Sholander Wrote: For the moment (who knows how long) Odroid N2 on CoreElec 9.0 devel/Kodi Leia 18.1 runs NF in 1080p with subtitles without any problems. (It's inputstream.adaptive SW decoded)

You will only be able to reliably SW decode Max 720p NF content using Linux Kodi Leia OS's ie LibreELEC, OSMC or CoreELEC using S905 / S912 devices.
Content that is Not - Netflix original stuff - will only stream from Netflix servers in 720 X 480p anyway. (Sometimes 960 X 540p) when using the downloaded Widevine L1.

If you use the Android Kodi Leia Netflix Addon with the Android devices I mentioned in the previous post. Ones that Already have baked in Widevine L1 DRM you are able to HW decode and Netflix servers give you 1080p streams all the time.

(2019-04-10, 01:34)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-09, 20:38)Sholander Wrote: For the moment (who knows how long) Odroid N2 on CoreElec 9.0 devel/Kodi Leia 18.1 runs NF in 1080p with subtitles without any problems. (It's inputstream.adaptive SW decoded)

You will only be able to reliably SW decode Max 720p NF content using Linux Kodi Leia OS's ie LibreELEC, OSMC or CoreELEC using S905 / S912 devices.
Content that is Not - Netflix original stuff - will only stream from Netflix servers in 720 X 480p anyway. (Sometimes 960 X 540p) when using the downloaded Widevine L1.

OK, but I'm talking about S922X SoC. Using it only for 3 days now (brand new product) and no problem with any NF 1080p + subtitles material
Hi, I'm hesitating between the Xiaomi Mi box S and Fire TV stick 4K. I have a Sony XF8305 and was wondering if the TV boxes have access to the inbuilt cable tuner at all. I've seen so many review videos and none of them shows an actual cable channel setup, only iptv.
(2019-04-10, 10:49)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 01:34)wrxtasy Wrote:

OK, but I'm talking about S922X SoC. Using it only for 3 days now (brand new product) and no problem with any NF 1080p + subtitles material 
Does it give you DD+ audio?
(2019-04-10, 17:05)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 10:49)Sholander Wrote: OK, but I'm talking about S922X SoC. Using it only for 3 days now (brand new product) and no problem with any NF 1080p + subtitles material 
Does it give you DD+ audio?

DD+ audio passthrough is only working for some users.
Guys like me with Yamaha audio receivers and also now user reports of those with Onkyo's are getting complete silence when trying to playback DD+ from all DD+ sources when using the N2.

Seem like a common v4.9 AML Linux Kernel DD+ issue - that also affects these same group of AVR users using the same v4.9 Kernel in the Mi Box.

Please read the CE - N2 test thread HERE

(2019-04-10, 16:46)thx9000 Wrote: Hi, I'm hesitating between the Xiaomi Mi box S and Fire TV stick 4K. I have a Sony XF8305 and was wondering if the TV boxes have access to the inbuilt cable tuner at all. I've seen so many review videos and none of them shows an actual cable channel setup, only iptv.

I understand that it might seem obvious once you had one of those boxes but can someone please confirm if they have access to the tv tuner ?
Hello

So my head is on fire with all these boxes, info etc. Decided to search help from pro guys/girls here.
I have looked for those chines stuff beelink, mi box etc. But also see worrying info about them,
So if I can ask your help.

My main reason for box search is my parents. Currently we have 2tb hard drive connected with usb to 4k TV and play it like this. But as researching this is not giving out the best performance a 4k tv can give. I add movies and concerts to hdd, mostly as best quality I can 4k.  So looking around I understand best option would be tv box that can show true 4k and audio (we have Onkyo dts-hd reciever). And additionaly player like Kodi that can be used for this. Kodi is not that complicated so my parents can handle it after some teaching.

Can someone suggest box that can handle 2tb external HDD, to play 4k movies and dts-hd sound?
I live in Estonia and we have only mi box in store for 80euros. So need to order something. I know Shield is the best on market, but it is a bit overkill with price and the usage my parents will do for it.

Sry if I made this post in wrong place and thanks for all the help.
(2019-04-10, 16:46)thx9000 Wrote: Hi, I'm hesitating between the Xiaomi Mi box S and Fire TV stick 4K. I have a Sony XF8305 and was wondering if the TV boxes have access to the inbuilt cable tuner at all. I've seen so many review videos and none of them shows an actual cable channel setup, only iptv.

We really do not know what you mean here.
No TV tuner hardware is accessible from any externally connected media player.

Plus I would not be using any of the Mi Boxes or the FireTV Stick 4K in combo with any sort of FTA interlaced TV content. Both have major problems with deinterlacing TV broadcasts. Avoid them.

Most IPTV is progressive video encoded content which any media player will be able to handle.

• 210(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28