Best Device for HDR to SDR tonemapping
I have a 1080p projector and am still a few more years out before I upgrade to a 4K projector. Between the tendency for Atmos audio tracks to only be included on the UHD blurays and the fact that I have other 4K displays in my home I have been accumulating a lot of 4K HDR content.

I'm looking for the best device to play my 4K HDR videos on my 1080p SDR projector. I currently use a HTPC with madVR but am looking for something quieter, more power efficient, and most importantly that does not run Windows.
(2019-04-10, 18:05)Jdiesel Wrote: I'm looking for the best device to play my 4K HDR videos on my 1080p SDR projector. I currently use a HTPC with madVR but am looking for something quieter, more power efficient, and most importantly that does not run Windows.

If madVR has a whole bunch of adjustments you can make to improve and tweak - mapped - color output for your exact individual display then that will be the best combo to use.

Otherwise something with a pretty modern ARM GPU package like an Apple TV 4K or the shiny new ODROID N2 - both of which have built in tone (& gamut) mapping algorithms, will likely be the next best thing.
There is however no user or software adjustability with those combos, it's straight 4K HDR to SDR. You get what you are given.
I doubt they are good as madVR.

Be aware the ATV 4K has no lossless passthru audio capabilities, which means no lossless Atmos output. The lossless 7.1 TrueHD audio track will be losslessly decoded into 7.1 LPCM. 3D positional Atmos audio is then lost.

Kodi Leia has built in HDR > SDR tonemapping - BUT - that can only be used when SW decoding I believe on platforms that are NOT running Windows.
And I strongly suspect SW decoding High Bitrate 10bit 4K HEVC, found in 4K UHD Rips will not work even with the most powerful Intel Hardware.

(2019-04-11, 06:39)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 18:05)Jdiesel Wrote: I'm looking for the best device to play my 4K HDR videos on my 1080p SDR projector. I currently use a HTPC with madVR but am looking for something quieter, more power efficient, and most importantly that does not run Windows.

Otherwise something with a pretty modern ARM GPU package like an Apple TV 4K or the shiny new ODROID N2 - both of which have built in tone (& gamut) mapping algorithms, will likely be the next best thing.
There is however no user or software adjustability with those combos, it's straight 4K HDR to SDR. You get what you are given.
I doubt they are good as madVR.

This is the kind of information I was looking for. While not perfect I am more than willing to accept some compromises at the sake of convenience. I'm going to grab an Odroid N2 when they are back in stock as it looks like it will be the development test board of choice for this generation of Amlogic SOC.
(2019-04-11, 06:39)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi Leia has built in HDR > SDR tonemapping - BUT - that can only be used when SW decoding I believe on platforms that are NOT running Windows. And I strongly suspect SW decoding High Bitrate 10bit 4K HEVC, found in 4K UHD Rips will not work even with the most powerful Intel Hardware. 
I am using CoreElec 9.0.3 (Kodi 18.4) on an Odroid N2 connected to a 1080p projector without any HDR capabilities. HDR to SDR tonemapping does in fact something, but the result is way too dark and the colours are pale/washed out. 
Is there any hope that Kodi 19 improves that situation on an Odroid N2 box, like the possibility of tweaking the tonemapping parameters?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Device for HDR to SDR tonemapping0