• 186(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2019-04-13, 11:55)Sapros Wrote: 3. How do I enable  auto framerate switching? If I let it pick it's resolution automatically under video options it picks 720p@60hz and stays like that no matter I play (netflix/hbogo/vlc). The TV is 1080p and handles 24hz with no issues.

Thanks!

3) Auto Frame Matching will only work with Apps like Kodi, SPMC, MrMC and likely Plex. Maybe SmartYoutube, Emby & and few other Open Source ones.

Netflix, Prime Video, HBO and the majority of other Android TV Apps do not support the Google Android TV Frame Rate Matching API.
They have not since Android TV came into existence nearly 4 years ago.

Blame the App developers.

Thank you @wrxtasy. In your opinion, is the latest update better than 2550? No regressions?
(2019-04-13, 13:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-13, 11:55)Sapros Wrote: 3. How do I enable  auto framerate switching? If I let it pick it's resolution automatically under video options it picks 720p@60hz and stays like that no matter I play (netflix/hbogo/vlc). The TV is 1080p and handles 24hz with no issues.

Thanks!

3) Auto Frame Matching will only work with Apps like Kodi, SPMC, MrMC and likely Plex. Maybe SmartYoutube, Emby & and few other Open Source ones.

Netflix, Prime Video, HBO and the majority of other Android TV Apps do not support the Google Android TV Frame Rate Matching API.

Blame the APP developers? No.

Apple TV, Fire TV Stick 4k, TV apps works well and Netflix did not do a different implementation on these operating systems.
Simply Apple, Amazon have been able to adopt this functionality in their operating systems.

Is not news that Google only develops the android for mobile phones.
(2019-04-13, 14:00)m.r.f. Wrote:

Thanks!

Apple TV, Fire TV Stick 4k, TV apps works well and Netflix did not do a different implementation on these operating systems.
Simply Apple, Amazon have been able to adopt this functionality in their operating systems.

To be fair,
Netflix app @ Fire TV Stick 4k can NOT do that.
Thanks. Enabling hdmi cec seems to have fixed the sleep issues. Also I can confirm auto framerate switching works in Kodi. That leaves me with two issues.

1. The bright pixel in the upper left corner of the screen. When visible (sometimes it stays dark) it can be quite distracting. Is this still a widespread issue with the Mi Box?

2. I noticed I can sometimes cast to the Mi Box even when it's in sleep mode. But not reliably, the option just comes and goes as it pleases. I can see the cast icon (on pc/tablet/phone) one minute and it just vanishes the next. Hdmi cec doesn't seem to influence it.

I have a very limited return period and just want to make sure I didn't get a dud. Cheers.
(2019-04-14, 11:04)Sapros Wrote: Thanks. Enabling hdmi cec seems to have fixed the sleep issues. Also I can confirm auto framerate switching works in Kodi. That leaves me with two issues.

1. The bright pixel in the upper left corner of the screen. When visible (sometimes it stays dark) it can be quite distracting. Is this still a widespread issue with the Mi Box?

2. I noticed I can sometimes cast to the Mi Box even when it's in sleep mode. But not reliably, the option just comes and goes as it pleases. I can see the cast icon (on pc/tablet/phone) one minute and it just vanishes the next. Hdmi cec doesn't seem to influence it.

I have a very limited return period and just want to make sure I didn't get a dud. Cheers.

1. Yes

2. This too. Keep it awake all the time.
(2019-04-14, 11:04)Sapros Wrote: 2. I noticed I can sometimes cast to the Mi Box even when it's in sleep mode. But not reliably, the option just comes and goes as it pleases. I can see the cast icon (on pc/tablet/phone) one minute and it just vanishes the next. Hdmi cec doesn't seem to influence it.

There appears to be a workaround .apk you can load so the Mi Box always shows up as a casting target.

See the Reddit thread over HERE (click)

is there a way to improve performance when looking at pictures (located on a NAS).
Opening a folder with a lot of pictures (DSLR, 10MB each) are quite slow.

Directly comparing to an older j1900 Atom its more than 20 times slower. Is the Cpu really that much slower? Are there tweaks in Kodi to improve this?
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows

Thanks!

VOD app into Apple TV use "system player" for playback, it's big different.
with Fire TV Stick 4k only prime video work auto-switch
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2019-04-15, 12:27)looun Wrote:
(2019-04-13, 13:23)wrxtasy Wrote: 3) Auto Frame Matching will only work with Apps like Kodi, SPMC, MrMC and likely Plex. Maybe SmartYoutube, Emby & and few other Open Source ones.

VOD app into Apple TV use "system player" for playback, it's big different.
with Fire TV Stick 4k only prime video work auto-switch
It does not matter if it is the system player or another. what is certain is that in tvOS Netflix works automatic frame rate switching.
Netflix did not make a different app.
It was Apple who did.
So on android not working is not Netflix's fault and it will never implement this because when someone (who knows this difference) decides to buy a box, who loses is the manufacturer of the box. Apple realized this because they are developing their own OS, the android does not sell hardware (boxes).

But that's offforum.
(2019-04-14, 07:10)farhanito Wrote:
(2019-04-13, 13:23)wrxtasy Wrote: 3) Auto Frame Matching will only work with Apps like Kodi, SPMC, MrMC and likely Plex. Maybe SmartYoutube, Emby & and few other Open Source ones.

To be fair,

What's clear to me, Mibox 3 for 2 years, unable to have Dolby Digital + working smoothly with Netflix. Now with a low cost Amazon Fire TV stick gen2, I have Digital + and a perfect smooth image in 1080P. Mibox3 sucks.
(2019-04-16, 20:27)chrisrey Wrote:
(2019-04-14, 07:10)farhanito Wrote:
(2019-04-13, 14:00)m.r.f. Wrote: Blame the APP developers? No.

To be fair,

What's clear to me, Mibox 3 for 2 years, unable to have Dolby Digital + working smoothly with Netflix. Now with a low cost Amazon Fire TV stick gen2, I have Digital + and a perfect smooth image in 1080P. Mibox3 sucks.

What is really interesting is that the new ODROID N2 uses virtually the same v4.9 AMLogic modified Linux Kernel that the Mi Boxes now use.

That N2 - v4.9 Kernel also had DD+ audio issues WHICH WERE FIXED RECENTLY with THIS CoreELEC (click) Kernel commit.

I doubt Xiaomi are even bothering to bust bugs in the AMLogic supplied Kernel, and that is why this DD+ audio passthru bug has persisted for nearly 1 year now.

If anyone has contact with Xiaomi - they need to be made aware of these sort of bugs.

I believe that Xiaomi simply do not follow what is going on around them. They are extremely focused on their own products and do not bother to look about similar products, follow code commits for fixes etc. For netflix, we should be thankful for the kodi addon that allows you to deactivate the DD+ and eliminate the issue. But honestly, when you have a box that has one huge strength, the 4k Netflix with multi-channel audio and you simply try to do everything to ruing even that, then it is like putting the nails on your coffin.

Also, since I wrote before about still having the slow performance and wake up issues, I followed the advice that some people wrote about to enable HDMI-CEC and indeed, the problem went away. However, HDMI-CEC and its implementations differ so my issue is that if I change the source in my AVR while the Mi Box is on, say to the STB box, the CEC will force the source back to the Mi Box. Only way to have this work, is to put the Mi Box to stand by. I wonder, did Xiaomi ever bothered to test this fixes with the HDMI-CEC disabled? Their testing is extremely poor.
(2019-04-15, 02:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-14, 11:04)Sapros Wrote: 2. I noticed I can sometimes cast to the Mi Box even when it's in sleep mode. But not reliably, the option just comes and goes as it pleases. I can see the cast icon (on pc/tablet/phone) one minute and it just vanishes the next. Hdmi cec doesn't seem to influence it.

There appears to be a workaround .apk you can load so the Mi Box always shows up as a casting target.

See the Reddit thread over HERE (click) 

Thanks. It's just that people say it shouldn't work at all, and mine seems really random about it.

Should I be worried that it intermittently allows casting while asleep?
Hello,
I'm using mi box s with Plex and Kodi and the 5.1 and DTS dont works.
Before i'm using mi bhox 3 and the 5.1 and DTS works fine.
I using toslink.
Can someone repost the link for the last firmware ?
Sorry for my english it is no so good
Thanks
  • 186(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21