v18 Add extended artwork without an additional add-on
Available in Kodi 18 beta 4

The art types added to the library when scanning local files are now configurable rather than just the hard-coded "poster", "fanart", and sometimes "banner" and "thumb". This means folks who use an external media manager to gather artwork won't need something like Artwork Beef / Artwork Downloader to add that local artwork to the library. Whoop whoop!

This is the video library companion to Automatically fetching any type of music artwork.

Configured in advancedsettings.xml, this will also apply to artwork from scrapers and NFO files if they provide the configured art types. A friendlier way to configure this is definitely needed, but likely won't be implemented for v18. Example AS.xml in the second post.

Files should be named like "poster" and "fanart" described in the wiki (for movies, for TV shows and seasons, for music videos), replacing "poster"/"fanart" with the configured art types (and the proper extension if the file format isn't JPEG). This won't include images from "extrafanart" or "extrathumbs" folders. Episode artwork should be next to the video file, named "[episode filename]-fanart.jpg" like the long form for movie artwork.

The original basic artwork types are still hardcoded so they don't need to be configured in AS.xml (and can't be removed). "poster" and "fanart" for movies, TV shows, seasons, and music videos; "banner" for TV shows and seasons; and "thumb" for episodes.

Media already in the library will need to be refreshed for this new artwork to be added to the library.

Movie sets are still the odd-one-out - artwork cannot be added from the file system - though scrapers can add movie set artwork since Leia B5/RC1.
Example advancedsettings.xml configuration.

xml:

<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
    <tvshowextraart>
      <arttype>characterart</arttype>
      <arttype>clearart</arttype>
      <arttype>clearlogo</arttype>
      <arttype>landscape</arttype>
      <arttype>keyart</arttype>
    </tvshowextraart>
    <tvseasonextraart>
    </tvseasonextraart>
    <episodeextraart>
      <arttype>fanart</arttype>
    </episodeextraart>
    <movieextraart>
      <arttype>banner</arttype>
      <arttype>discart</arttype>
    </movieextraart>
    <moviesetextraart>
    </moviesetextraart>
    <musicvideoextraart>
    </musicvideoextraart>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
I’ve read this good news but I’m a bit confused.

I’ve previously used Artwork Downloader to add extra art (clearart, logo and discart) and between how AD worked and Kodi interfaces with AD I am using 2 copies of each art with 2 naming conventions; the simple naming and the full media file name like baked in poster and fanart.

I am not clear what this latest update to Kodi uses for file naming? My preference would be to continue the full media file name convention as this means each piece of artwork has a unique file name rather than having 3000 files with the same name.

I have configured my AS file but so far the auto-scraping of artwork has not occurred so I am also uncertain if there is any additional steps required to get things working as intended.
(2019-04-16, 20:33)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I am using 2 copies of each art with 2 naming conventions; the simple naming and the full media file name like baked in poster and fanart.
The default naming of artwork, in all cases, is the long format of <videofilename>-<artworktype>.ext eg... Blade Runner (1984)-poster.jpg

Short artwork names (eg... poster, fanart, etc) can be used and are scanned only when the following conditions are met...
  1. Movie Folders (wiki) are used
  2. Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title must be Enabled in the Set Content Screen. (wiki)
  3. No corresponding artwork with long format names are present in that movie folder, as these take priority.

This setting also gives the movie.nfo priority but still uses the standard NFO (wiki) naming of <videofilename>.nfo as a fallback.

(2019-04-16, 20:33)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I am not clear what this latest update to Kodi uses for file naming?
The actual artwork names are in the code box in the first post. Then you decide how to use them based on my previous comment above.

(2019-04-16, 20:33)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I have configured my AS file but so far the auto-scraping of artwork has not occurred so I am also uncertain if there is any additional steps required to get things working as intended.
How have you configured it? Did you copy the code above? Can you post your advancedsettings.xml file to Kodi Paste Site and provide a screenshot of one of your movie folders.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have copies the VideoLibrary section posted above into my AS but removed the items I am not using.

My entire library has movie files in folders with matching name. In each folder is a Kodi exported nfo file, long-form named poster and fanart files, long form named movie trailer and both long form named extra art as well as short (or previous Kodi version short) name extra art. Each source setting is noted "Movies are in folders ....".

When I scraped a source into Kodi 18 it did not seem to grab any extra art. The testing skin I used only displayed text names and not logos in the movie list and did not seem to show discart where I believe it should.

My goal is to have Kodi scrape the longform name extra art automatically so I can remove the shortfrom name files, or any variety. It's just not functioning as I understood it should yet. And I'm still trying to work out my custom skin migration as well.

I do appreciate the feedback but if I may note it still does read a little confusing as to which is the best method of naming this extra art. Or possibly that there are still 2 methods depending on who you set-up your media library and that one won't work with the other.
*** My folder structures is laid out in the below linked post. I didn't include having clearart.png, logo.png and discart.png files in that folder but every single over hte 3700+ movies in my library have them all.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2845946
(2019-04-17, 01:42)K0D1User1138 Wrote: ... if I may note it still does read a little confusing as to which is the best method of naming this extra art
=
(2019-04-16, 21:39)Karellen Wrote: The default naming of artwork, in all cases, is the long format of <videofilename>-<artworktype>.ext eg... Blade Runner (1984)-poster.jpg

Can you provide a Debug Log which captures scraping one movie with extended artwork.

(2019-04-17, 01:42)K0D1User1138 Wrote: And I'm still trying to work out my custom skin migration as well.
Possibly a problem here??

What happens when you call up the Information Page for a movie with Extended Artwork and select Choose Art. Is the extended artwork loaded there?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Take a screenshot of your movie folder and post it. I don't like looking at bits of information with bits and pieces excluded.
My Signature
they can be added by adding image tags in Variables.xml
xml:
<variable name="PlayerbannerVar">
  <value condition="!String.IsEmpty(Player.Art(banner))">$INFO[Player.Art(banner)]</value>
  <value condition="!String.isempty(Player.Art(fanart))">$INFO[Player.Art(fanart)]</value>
</variable>
<variable name="PlayerthumbVar">
  <value condition="!String.IsEmpty(Player.Art(thumb))">$INFO[Player.Art(thumb)]</value>
  <value condition="!String.isempty(Player.Art(fanart))">$INFO[Player.Art(fanart)]</value>
</variable>
<texture>$VAR[BannerArtVar]</texture>
<texture>$VAR[clearartVar]</texture>
<texture>$INFO[ListItem.Art(clearlogo)]</texture>
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=341988
then using the tags to place images
(2019-04-17, 01:47)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 01:42)K0D1User1138 Wrote: ... if I may note it still does read a little confusing as to which is the best method of naming this extra art
=
(2019-04-16, 21:39)Karellen Wrote: The default naming of artwork, in all cases, is the long format of <videofilename>-<artworktype>.ext eg... Blade Runner (1984)-poster.jpg

Can you provide a Debug Log which captures scraping one movie with extended artwork.
(2019-04-17, 01:42)K0D1User1138 Wrote: And I'm still trying to work out my custom skin migration as well.
Possibly a problem here??

What happens when you call up the Information Page for a movie with Extended Artwork and select Choose Art. Is the extended artwork loaded there?  
I am not using my custom skin for this testing. I have not been able to identify what causes it to fail on the main screen yet, per the thread I started about trying to migrate.

When I look at the info of a scraped movie and choose the art options I am only given 2, poster and fanart.

I have tested by removing the short name files and only having the full movie (year)-art files in the folder. Still the same results.

Running Kodi 18.1 from the download page on the site, freshly downloaded and installed.

I've tested with the default skin and Aeon Nox: Silvo for Kodi 18 from the repo. 

Advanced settings has included all required code from the above for the artwork I use.

Log 

ImageDirectory Screenshot.

https://ibb.co/c8Ts29N

Not certain what's going wrong.
(2019-04-17, 23:18)K0D1User1138 Wrote: When I look at the info of a scraped movie and choose the art options I am only given 2, poster and fanart.
Do you mean the Choose Art option from the Movie Information Page?

From your log...
xml:
DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Found matching full NFO file: smb://MediaServer/d/testing/Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) Bluray 2.35/Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) Bluray 2.35.nfo
Which media manager created the nfo file?
My Signature
Drive-by solution: Your advancedsettings.xml is wrong. "videolibrary" should not be in the "video" element but directly inside "advancedsettings".
(2019-04-18, 00:39)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 23:18)K0D1User1138 Wrote: When I look at the info of a scraped movie and choose the art options I am only given 2, poster and fanart.
Do you mean the Choose Art option from the Movie Information Page?

From your log...
xml:
DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Found matching full NFO file: smb://MediaServer/d/testing/Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) Bluray 2.35/Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) Bluray 2.35.nfo
Which media manager created the nfo file? 
Ye, the choose art option on the movie info page.

I use Kodi to create and export NFO files directly, no third-party apps. The same result occurs if I scrape without the NFO file in the directory and I pull all new metadata from the default movie scraper.
(2019-04-18, 00:55)rmrector Wrote: Drive-by solution: Your advancedsettings.xml is wrong. "videolibrary" should not be in the "video" element but directly inside "advancedsettings".
BINGO! Awesome, thank you.

And Thank You Karellan for trying to work me through this issue. Very much appreciate the help and the awesome addition to making Kodi even easier to use!

Now just to figure out my customer skin issue! :S
(2018-11-01, 07:57)rmrector Wrote: Configured in advancedsettings.xml, this will also apply to artwork from scrapers and NFO files if they provide the configured art types. A friendlier way to configure this is definitely needed, but likely won't be implemented for v18. Example AS.xml in the second post.

I must be missing something here - I don't really understand how you do this.  What I really want to know is whether this will work with PVR artwork, which is to say with shows recorded from Live TV (NOT "TV shows" that are saved in folders according to title and season, etc.).  There are times the artwork that is downloaded is wrong, or I have better artwork, but I don't really understand how this would work to let me use my own artwork in that situation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add extended artwork without an additional add-on1