• 538(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Looks like the release of Libreelec 9.0.2 has fixed the ethernet performance issue.  I have removed the workaround from my Chromebox and getting ~27MBps to my local NAS.
(2019-05-11, 19:20)MrBuyakah Wrote: Looks like the release of Libreelec 9.0.2 has fixed the ethernet performance issue.  I have removed the workaround from my Chromebox and getting ~27MBps to my local NAS.

yes, the 4.19.36 kernel includes a commit to (re)disable ASPM for the rt8169 driver, which fixes the issue

ref: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ker...9a74fb911a
(2019-05-11, 09:36)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 08:36)petecat1 Wrote: I get this in red text: Unfortunately I don't have a stock firmware available to download for 'FIZZ' at this time. 
Quote: You can absolutely restore the stock firmware (using a backup created by the script prior to flashing) via the script, I'm not sure why you would think that option is unavailable.  But I'm not sure why you would want to if you plan is to run Ubuntu   

relevant part of my quote emphasized 
Sorry, but can I check...The Backup is created by the script prior to flashing, is that done automatically when I run the script, and if so, how do I access it later?  Or is it a step I needed to follow during the setup and now its too late to go back?
(2019-05-12, 12:43)petecat1 Wrote: Sorry, but can I check...The Backup is created by the script prior to flashing, is that done automatically when I run the script, and if so, how do I access it later?  Or is it a step I needed to follow during the setup and now its too late to go back? 

the script prompts you to create a backup on USB when flashing the UEFI/Full ROM firmware. No backup is created or needed when using the RW_LEGACY firmware
(2019-05-12, 22:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-05-12, 12:43)petecat1 Wrote: Sorry, but can I check...The Backup is created by the script prior to flashing, is that done automatically when I run the script, and if so, how do I access it later?  Or is it a step I needed to follow during the setup and now its too late to go back? 

the script prompts you to create a backup on USB when flashing the UEFI/Full ROM firmware. No backup is created or needed when using the RW_LEGACY firmware 
I think I know the answer to this already but...If that backup was not created when flashing the UEFI/Full FOM firmware, then there is no way back?  Is there a hardware option?
(2019-05-13, 12:30)petecat1 Wrote: I think I know the answer to this already but...If that backup was not created when flashing the UEFI/Full FOM firmware, then there is no way back?  Is there a hardware option?

there's always a way back, just need a firmware file to flash. For most devices, my script will provide an image extracted from the Recovery image for that device. But for some devices, Google uses a common firmware image and the Recovery process customizes it for the device - those I don't (yet) offer an image for. The 2018 Chromeboxes fall into that category unfortunately
(2019-05-13, 18:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-05-13, 12:30)petecat1 Wrote: I think I know the answer to this already but...If that backup was not created when flashing the UEFI/Full FOM firmware, then there is no way back?  Is there a hardware option?

there's always a way back, just need a firmware file to flash. For most devices, my script will provide an image extracted from the Recovery image for that device. But for some devices, Google uses a common firmware image and the Recovery process customizes it for the device - those I don't (yet) offer an image for. The 2018 Chromeboxes fall into that category unfortunately 
So is that (Google's common firmware image) something I should be able to find and install?  I have the ChromeOS backup from the Chromebook Recovery Utililty, but I'm pretty sure thats no use to me until I get the BIOS back, right?
(2019-05-15, 13:08)petecat1 Wrote: So is that (Google's common firmware image) something I should be able to find and install?  I have the ChromeOS backup from the Chromebook Recovery Utililty, but I'm pretty sure thats no use to me until I get the BIOS back, right? 

the Recovery image is what gets downloaded/written to USB by the recovery tool (which you should not use until you actually need to restore ChromeOS. Restoring an older version can be very problematic). And yes, the Recovery media is not useful until you restore the stock firmware. There's nothing useful you can do with it at this time. If/when you actually want to revert back to stock, just PM me and I'll build you a custom stock firmware to flash back. Next time, listen to the script and make a backup ;-)
(2019-05-15, 17:32)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-05-15, 13:08)petecat1 Wrote: So is that (Google's common firmware image) something I should be able to find and install?  I have the ChromeOS backup from the Chromebook Recovery Utililty, but I'm pretty sure thats no use to me until I get the BIOS back, right? 

the Recovery image is what gets downloaded/written to USB by the recovery tool (which you should not use until you actually need to restore ChromeOS. Restoring an older version can be very problematic). And yes, the Recovery media is not useful until you restore the stock firmware. There's nothing useful you can do with it at this time. If/when you actually want to revert back to stock, just PM me and I'll build you a custom stock firmware to flash back. Next time, listen to the script and make a backup ;-) 
Thanks Matt.  Duly chastised. It may be sooner than later that I call on you.  But I will let you know if my various plan B's are not working.
Is there any way to control the fan on the Chromebox? I'm currently running at cpu usage is 20% and 6% while watching iPlayer and the fan is very loud.
(2019-05-18, 12:50)tredman Wrote: Is there any way to control the fan on the Chromebox? I'm currently running at cpu usage is 20% and 6% while watching iPlayer and the fan is very loud.

under a full Linux distro, the it87 kernel module (for the ITE IT87xxx series SuperIO chips) can be used (google 'it87 fan control').  Not aware of any option under LE.  I tweaked the fan profile so that it should be near silent under low CPU loads.  Perhaps your fan is simply going bad?
(2019-05-18, 18:37)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-05-18, 12:50)tredman Wrote: Is there any way to control the fan on the Chromebox? I'm currently running at cpu usage is 20% and 6% while watching iPlayer and the fan is very loud.

under a full Linux distro, the it87 kernel module (for the ITE IT87xxx series SuperIO chips) can be used (google 'it87 fan control').  Not aware of any option under LE.  I tweaked the fan profile so that it should be near silent under low CPU loads.  Perhaps your fan is simply going bad?
Yes I suspect that too, the CB is quite old, must have had 3 or 4 years at least and as my tvh server it's always on Sad
(2019-05-19, 10:58)tredman Wrote: Yes I suspect that too, the CB is quite old, must have had 3 or 4 years at least and as my tvh server it's always on Sad 

fan is easily replaced, same style as some of the same-generation NUCs. Or might just need a good cleaning with compressed air
(2019-05-11, 20:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-05-11, 19:20)MrBuyakah Wrote: Looks like the release of Libreelec 9.0.2 has fixed the ethernet performance issue.  I have removed the workaround from my Chromebox and getting ~27MBps to my local NAS.

yes, the 4.19.36 kernel includes a commit to (re)disable ASPM for the rt8169 driver, which fixes the issue

ref: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ker...9a74fb911a       

That answers my question from #8045 Smile  I updated the 2nd one to 9.0.2 before I noticed that it was hampered by the issue, and assumed it was fixed by the time difference in the installs.  Smile
Hi, Matt.
Thank you for continuing to support chromebox fans.
I've bought one more Zako recently and installed your recent firmware at once.
The firmware is dated 01/04/2019.

My question is: Is it possible to downgrade the firmware to the one dated 08/27/2018?

The problem is that the Zako shuts down when trying to sleep. I'd even say it performs an unsafe shutdown when I try to wake it from S3 with a mouse, a keyboard or pressing the front button.
It happens under Libreelec and under Windows 10.
I have another Zako here with 08/27/2018 firmware and it runs just excellent.

Thank you in advance.
  • 538(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37