Solved Kodi crash after scanning library
Hi,

I've just upgraded my odroid from game emulation station (kind of debian) to latest recalbox with uses kodi 17.6.
I encounter a crash and after adding logs, looks a bit silent (I mean no error messages I found relevant)
I think this crash happens after scanning my music folder, which may contain wrong character code (french or greek letters).

Here are some logs : https://pastebin.com/CGdc5tmT

If anyone has any ideas, I will be glad to hear them !

Alex.
Moved to music
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-05-07, 20:28)Arcueid Wrote: I encounter a crash and after adding logs, looks a bit silent (I mean no error messages I found relevant)
I think this crash happens after scanning my music folder, which may contain wrong character code (french or greek letters).
@Arcueid the log does not show any music library scanning taking place, or library related errors. All I can see are the music db queries related to the main screen widgets, getting recently played and added albums, and they are sucessful. The last log lines are

Code:
T:2982957072    INFO: Found input device /dev/input/event0
T:2982957072    INFO: opened device 'gpio_keys.7' (file name /dev/input/event0), m_bSkipNonKeyEvents 0
Could a device driver be causing issues? There does seem to be a lot of Joystick driver related lotg entries too.

Can you say more about what you do before it crashes, and what if you just start but wait?
Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying.

About devices, I'm using PS4 Controllers. They are working fine on Emulation Station.
I'll try to forget their pairing, to check if it can come from this issue.
On the other hand, I'll remove .userdata folder, scan again a little folder, without these controllers.
That's an idea. Thank you.

Before crashing, I had just scanned a folder like music or video. Then go back to previous menu. At these point, Kodi crashed for the first time.
Then Recall Box restarted (buildroot based distribution), and, has I configured kodi to be launched on startup, it tries to start Kodi, so it crashes and then EmulationStation is displayed.
Most of the time some PS4 controllers are paired, but not enabled.
I hope these details can help you ...

Dave.
Sorry I'm not a hardware guy, and I suspect that is the kind of help you will need.

(2019-05-13, 21:46)Arcueid Wrote: Before crashing, I had just scanned a folder like music or video. Then go back to previous menu. At these point, Kodi crashed for the first time.
OK, so first crash which we don't have a log for may have been scanning related. However now it crashes on start-up? Need you to find a repeatable issue and provide a log for that.
Hi Dave,

So I unpaired all PS4 controllers, and crash still occurs.
After unpairing, I removed ~/.kodi/userdata folder, so Kodi works again.
I added one of my movie folder to library and started scanning.
I tried to go back to main menu and kodi crashed, and so on after reboot. Here is the log : https://pastebin.com/9DLRnBtA

So I don't think there is relatioship with devices.

One information is that crash occurs when scanning vfat HDD or cifs mount point.

Please tell me if you need another piece of information.

Alex.
It does not look like it is specifically related to Music.

I'll move your post to Linux forum as that is your os. If @DaveBlake wants it back in music, I will move it back.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-05-15, 00:47)Karellen Wrote: It does not look like it is specifically related to Music.

I'll move your post to Linux forum as that is your os. If @DaveBlake wants it back in music, I will move it back.

I agree it is not only specific to music. Thanks for moving the psot for me. I hope someone will have another idea Smile
Hi guys, I have some news: with a crashy Kodi, I removed one by one all elements of the ~/.kodi/userdata folder.
And I found Kodi was starting again after MyVideos107.db was removed. I'm not surprise since, at the last working time, I was parsing videos from my media server.

How can I open database files ? How can I check them ? May I send one file in this thread ?
(2019-05-15, 22:08)Arcueid Wrote: How can I open database files ?
I use this on a Windows system. You need to find an equivelant for Linux... https://sqlitebrowser.org/

You can send the db file, but unless there is a very glaring and obvious error, it will be time consuming to track it down as we won't have your setup to compare to. Better if you just rebuild the library now that you found the problem. Hopefully you kept a regular export/backup which would have you up and running again within a few minutes.

See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library
My Signature
Ok, I need my license to dive into databases ^^ I don't think I have skills to read them.

I have several db files to share:
 - fresh: with no library scan
 - updated: with a single directory parsed
 - crashy: copied right after crash, looks identic to previous one (winmerge has not found any differences)
How can I share these db files ? (368kB to 1.05MB)

About export, it looks difficult as I can't access any menu when system starts crashing.
Is there any way to dump to xml file by command line ?
Upload the crashy one to here... https://uploadfiles.io/

I won't promise anything but I will have a look for obvious errors.

Too late for export, needs to be done on a working system. Was just hoping that you had.
My Signature
Ok here are the files:
 - fresh : https://ufile.io/h6a0o76c
- updated : https://ufile.io/h0db4rj7
 - crashy : https://ufile.io/r8gjq3dl

Thanks for the link, and all the help so far.
@Arcueid

I looked at the crashy db and could see nothing wrong with it. I installed it here and it works fine.

There are only 44 movies in your library, so not a real big loss as they can easily be re-scanned in a few minutes.

Does you hardware allow you to install v18.2? I think a clean install may be the way to go forward.

My Signature
On which OS is installed your Kodi ? Win10 ?

I may have a try has well with Kodi 17.2 on Ubuntu 16 for eg, and try as close as possible to this system.
Actually i is a buildroot distribution, so installing a new kodi version will be difficult.
Recallbox devs have said there are implementing Kodi 18.6, but there's no release date.

That's a good progression for the moment. I will post something on RecallBox forum.

Thanks Karellen, I'll keep you in tuch will my investigations.
Good night.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crash after scanning library0