• 223(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2019-05-04, 06:41)scottj01 Wrote:
(2019-04-23, 08:49)Krobar Wrote:
(2019-04-21, 19:22)scottj01 Wrote: I want to get Kodi MVC 3D working under Ubuntu (18.04LTS). I have a Kodlix GN41 that currently boots both Win10 and Ubuntu. I have a library of 100's of ISO movies. PowerDVD 16 runs on the Win10 side and 3D movies play just fine. However, I want to run the Kodlix under Ubuntu so I need a 3D media player that works there. Kodi should fit that ticket, I just need to find a version that will work. The Kodlix hardware is a quad core Gemini Lake Celeron (GN4100) with an Intel 600 UHD graphics processor. The HDMI port is 1.4.

First question would be, "Is it possible"? And the next would be, "How do I go about building the special Kodi MVC version for Linux and what special settings/configurations, if any, need to be set in the Ubuntu graphics environment to support 3D"?

Thanks for any help,

-- Scott
Hi Scott,

I think the Windows build uses a fork which used Windows specific work from the Intel Media codec (This is why it never mainlined). Happy to be corrected but I don't think the main ingredient exists for Linux.  
Thanks Krobar. That makes sense. I was thinking that since the Android based media players (eg - Zidoo) could do 3D and being Android is based on the Linux kernel, there might be hope. I now coming to the conclusion that the Android boxes are all based on ARM chipsets that have their own proprietary graphic drivers and there are no Android/Linux drivers for Intel based chipset(s). 

I think that's right. Raspberry PI can do 3D on Linux (Very specific graphics drivers etc.).
(2019-04-26, 22:03)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2019-04-26, 21:57)p750mmx Wrote: @K0D1User1138, yes, it can. But in my opinion the 3D image quality from the Haswell iGP is not as great as that from a 7th generation Kaby Lake Core CPU. I compared them side by side. It's good, but not as good as it can get Wink

Thanks for the info. For my 72 year old father the Haswell chip will suffice. Currently that is what ir running my friend's home theater with a 108" screen and we've not had any complaints when watching movies. He will likely upgrade in the future by for now my father will be able to utilize my backup servers in his house after the old Raspberry Pi2B failed to keep up. 

I ended up picking up the Optiplex7010 for my dad and got it all set-up. Lossless audio works and 2D movies work no problem. 3D works, great.... then Kodi crashes.

The system came with only 4 gig of RAM and it seemed pretty much full so I doubled it to 8 gig which stays under 30% and.... Kodi still crashes.

I'm still working on getting Windows activated as there was an issue upon initial installation with the hardware being registered but I'm not sure why that would allow Kodi to work and work and work and then just crash. I have updated all drivers and changed all settings per the guide (best I can as some of the GUI from Intel have changed since the guide was made) and Kodi still crashes.

Is this something happening with the lasted MVC fork build of Kodi or am I just having these issues alone? Would love to get this figured out for the old man.
To ad to my previous post, seems Kodi is crashing using the fork version of 17.6 as well, at certain points. I'm going to get a few logs to post but I have no idea what I'm looking for. anyone experienced similar issues at any point?

Hardware is Intel i3-4150 3.5GHz 8GB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, Windows 10 1803 I believe.
Did some testing. Still either crashes Kodi on some movies are begins the have issues with others like the video glitching and freezing then jumping to catch back up with the audio. Then it plays Spider-Man Homecoming perfectly TWICE.

These are all MVC MKV files and thus far I've been testing files with Dolby Atmos sound. 2D Dolby Atmos works no problem, even files I've had to mux myself. 3D just keeps crashing. Even turning off the "Decode the 3D stream" setting still crashes trying to play a 3D movie. And I went back and tested the Kodi 17.6 MVC fork and it did the same things. So trying to understand just what is going wrong. What I should look for in a debug log.
Here is a debugging log of a test I am still running. Playing The Avengers MVC 3D and ti video stutters occasionally and has to catch up to the audio. So far this hasn't crashed Kodi but once it's done (playing or crashes) I'll run another test with another movie that has crashed on my before.

Log

Anyone able to decipher what might be going on here?
try to monitoring Kodi memory usage.
(2019-05-14, 10:31)afedchin Wrote: try to monitoring Kodi memory usage.

I was watching and of the 8GB RAM in this machine it was running around 5 and then up to 6. When it finally crashed playing this file I don't believe it ever went over 6.

I've not monitored memory for 3D videos before (never had to) so not certain how much it should need.

This computer does have 2 different sticks of 4GB DDR3 RAM, the original it came with (and was damn near full all the time and had these same stuttering and crashing issues) and a brand new stick of Kingston.

Do you believe it's running out of memory while trying to pull down the streamed file from the local server or in trying to render 3D playback?
Running another test (hasn't finished/crashed yet) but not sure what's happening with the memory. The debugging info shows memory usage between 5.3-6.2GB (of 8.2GB total) yet the system itself shows just and average 33% of memory being used.

Is the debugging memory info different than RAM usage in some way?

I will post the log once this test finishes or crashes.
Playing Wonder Woman MVC 3D with Dolby Atmos audio, which always crashed before including playing directly from the PC's SSD, played fully through again.

Wonder Woman Log

Tried The Avengers MVC 3D with Dolby Atmos after, which always has video freezes while the audio continues, video froze again.

Avengers Log

Testing Batman V Superman MVC 3D with Dolby Atmos now.
Batman V Superman MVC 3D with Dolby Atmos played completely through.

Batman V Superman Log

Batman V Superman Memory usage??

Testing Men In Black 3 MVC 3D with Dolby Atmos now. Still no idea why it freezes on Avengers and has crashed on most of these movies previously.
Ran multiple tests. Movies played through with no perceivable issues, other than The Avengers video continuing to freeze. Left it for a couple days, tried testing one of the movies that had worked fine and once again it crashes. I'm still not understanding the logging memory information or what else might be going wrong. Frustrating as otherwise everything works just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?
(2019-05-16, 20:29)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Still no idea why it freezes on Avengers and has crashed on most of these movies previously.

please provide a Debug Log when it crashes/freezes
Seems when running System Logging MVC 3D files play just fine. When you turn off System Logging the player crashes.

Wonder Woman with System Logging - stopped after 35 minutes of proper playback LOG

Wonder Woman without System Logging - crashed after only a few minutes LOG

Batman V Superman with system Logging - played fully through LOG

Batman V Superman without System Logging - crashed after only a few minutes LOG

Avengers: Age of Ultron with System Logging - played fully through LOG

Avengers: Age of Ultron without System Logging - crashed after only a few minutes LOG

Men In Black 3 with system Logging - played fully through LOG

Men In Black 3 without system Logging - crashed after only a few minutes LOG

The common thing I am picking up from these logs is similar to this.

Code:
2019-05-23 07:57:25.888 T:3228 WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: -1167.573418

I am testing another movie now that I've not tried yet to see what it does. I'm also going to swap in 2 sticks of the same DDR3 RAM I use in my main PC that I brought with me to see if that fixes the crashing issue which would then likely be the result of having 2 different sticks of DDR3 RAM in the system.

Edit ** I swapped in 8GB of RAM on 2 identical 4GB sticks to see if that was causing the issue. Still crashed when not running the System Logging. I've mainly tested MKV's that I had remuxed with Dolby Atmos audio tracks but no idea why there continues to be this issue with large audio sync errors.
Just keeps crashing despite changing the RAM, downgrading to the Kodi 18.1 fork and anything else I can think of. Final note in the log is Large Audio Sync issue. I need someone with a better understanding of what the logs are saying or what the system should/shouldn't be doing to shed some light here.

All drivers are up to date per Windows telling me so. All Windows updates have been run. All settings are done as best per the setup instructions of this thread. 3D works, but it crashes. And it works better when in debugging mode.

All of these movies run fine on a similar system including some streamed over a network on an off-the-shelf NAS that gives other issues in file transfer speeds.

Adding more info. Tried playing Solo 3 times and all 3 times it crashed. Then turned on System Logging and Solo played through fully. So again it works but it doesn't. Why does debugging on work but turned off it crashes?

And hosting the movie locally on the SSD in the PC produces the same results so it's not a network bandwidth error or something funny happening on the host server machine.
(2019-05-23, 23:47)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Just keeps crashing despite changing the RAM, downgrading to the Kodi 18.1 fork and anything else I can think of. Final note in the log is Large Audio Sync issue. I need someone with a better understanding of what the logs are saying or what the system should/shouldn't be doing to shed some light here.

All drivers are up to date per Windows telling me so. All Windows updates have been run. All settings are done as best per the setup instructions of this thread. 3D works, but it crashes. And it works better when in debugging mode.

All of these movies run fine on a similar system including some streamed over a network on an off-the-shelf NAS that gives other issues in file transfer speeds.

Adding more info. Tried playing Solo 3 times and all 3 times it crashed. Then turned on System Logging and Solo played through fully. So again it works but it doesn't. Why does debugging on work but turned off it crashes?

And hosting the movie locally on the SSD in the PC produces the same results so it's not a network bandwidth error or something funny happening on the host server machine.

You might have a graphic driver issue read the first page of this thread and look at hdmkv compatibility hardware doc. Look for the intel section and try the older windows driver gfx_win7_8_8.1_64_10.18.10.3540 had the same issue good luck.
  • 223(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10