Solved 18.2 No Video; Only Audio
Greetings!  As the subject suggests, I am having video playback issues with Kodi.  I have 18.1 Leia 32-bit (I've tried the 64-bit version, but the video isn't working in that either) and while I can hear sound, I cannot see video... only a few flashes of solid colors on the player then followed by a black viewing screen.  Controls are still visible, just no video output.  I have tried disabling hardware acceleration as well as setting the rendering to software, but I am still having no luck.

My system specifications are as follows. 

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200 running at 2.53Ghz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz

I've used older single-core processors from AMD and managed to get Kodi to work just fine, so I am boggled as to why I am having issues with a dual-core Intel CPU.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-06-15, 05:12)Karellen Wrote: To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum

Here is the link to the log!  Thank you for the quick reply!

https://paste.kodi.tv/otoqiqomuw
Unfortunately you have a number of banned add-ons installed which makes you ineligible for support. Your system will need to be cleaned of them to receive assistance.

See Banned Add-ons (wiki) and Forum Rules

The forum moderators have determined that Banned_addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-06-15, 06:34)Karellen Wrote: Unfortunately you have a number of banned add-ons installed which makes you ineligible for support. Your system will need to be cleaned of them to receive assistance.

The forum moderators have determined that Banned_addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.

I will take care of the add-ons and re-submit my log files.  Thank you for letting me know!
(2019-06-15, 07:30)_NXS_ Wrote:
(2019-06-15, 06:34)Karellen Wrote: Unfortunately you have a number of banned add-ons installed which makes you ineligible for support. Your system will need to be cleaned of them to receive assistance.

I will take care of the add-ons and re-submit my log files.  Thank you for letting me know! 
Here is the updated log file.  Thanks again!

https://paste.kodi.tv/tuyidepebe
Is it YouTube add-on that you are using where you have the problem? If yes, then you need to ask in the YouTube thread so the developer can see your question.
My Signature
(2019-06-15, 08:31)Karellen Wrote: Is it YouTube add-on that you are using where you have the problem? If yes, then you need to ask in the YouTube thread so the developer can see your question.

No, it is any video I try to play, regardless of the addon.  I've experienced this problem before but usually setting the rendering to software and disabling hardware acceleration would work; however, those changes haven't made a difference on this system.
I cannot see any problem in the log. All I see is you playing a youtube clip. Maybe playing a local video might show more.

Also enable the component logging for FFmpeg libraries and Video Component and maybe something might reveal itself.
My Signature
(2019-06-15, 09:23)Karellen Wrote: I cannot see any problem in the log. All I see is you playing a youtube clip. Maybe playing a local video might show more.

Also enable the component logging for FFmpeg libraries and Video Component and maybe something might reveal itself.

I have no local videos; it's a fresh install of Windows 10 with the updates and a fresh installation of Kodi.  Can you perhaps suggest an official Kodi addon for videos that I might try instead?  I will enable component logging for my next log.  Thanks again for the replies!
(2019-06-15, 10:10)_NXS_ Wrote:
(2019-06-15, 09:23)Karellen Wrote: I cannot see any problem in the log. All I see is you playing a youtube clip. Maybe playing a local video might show more.

I have no local videos; it's a fresh install of Windows 10 with the updates and a fresh installation of Kodi.  Can you perhaps suggest an official Kodi addon for videos that I might try instead?  I will enable component logging for my next log.  Thanks again for the replies! 

Still having the video issue.  I could still use some directions finding an official Kodi video addon to test with so I can get the logs posted up.  Any recommendations?
Playing closer attention to your specs, your hardware is approx 12 years old, and you are running Windows 10. I guess your hardware does not have the specs required, and if they do, then your drivers are not fully compatible with Windows 10 and Kodi v18.

You could try running v17.6 and see if that makes a difference... http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/...on-x86.exe if not, then an earlier version may run, like v16 but we do not have that available for download.

If you can replicate the problem on more recent hardware, I will have a look at it again.
My Signature
(2019-06-17, 08:45)Karellen Wrote: Playing closer attention to your specs, your hardware is approx 12 years old, and you are running Windows 10. I guess your hardware does not have the specs required, and if they do, then your drivers are not fully compatible with Windows 10 and Kodi v18.

You could try running v17.6 and see if that makes a difference... http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/...on-x86.exe if not, then an earlier version may run, like v16 but we do not have that available for download.

If you can replicate the problem on more recent hardware, I will have a look at it again.
According to the System Requirements for Windows-based machines, it states that processors as old as the Pentium 4 are fully capable (so long as they support SSE2; which mine does) so I am not understanding why my newer Core 2 Duo E7200 which has the Intel GMA 3100 (AKA G31 Express Chipset Family) with 256MB of system-borrowed memory and a maximum display resolution of 1920x1080 will not work.  DXDIAG states that my system has DirectX 11 and, so far as I know, my display driver is up to date (Version 8.15.10.1930).  

Like I said, I have successfully installed Kodi on much older machines with single-core processors and had no issues at all.  This is the second of two Dell Optiplex 330 desktop models I have tried installing Kodi on (one has Windows 10, the other has Windows 7) but neither one of them will display video on Kodi even though the sound from videos can be heard.
(2019-06-18, 17:49)_NXS_ Wrote:
(2019-06-17, 08:45)Karellen Wrote: Playing closer attention to your specs, your hardware is approx 12 years old, and you are running Windows 10. I guess your hardware does not have the specs required, and if they do, then your drivers are not fully compatible with Windows 10 and Kodi v18.

According to the System Requirements for Windows-based machines, it states that processors as old as the Pentium 4 are fully capable (so long as they support SSE2; which mine does) so I am not understanding why my newer Core 2 Duo E7200 which has the Intel GMA 3100 (AKA G31 Express Chipset Family) with 256MB of system-borrowed memory and a maximum display resolution of 1920x1080 will not work.  DXDIAG states that my system has DirectX 11 and, so far as I know, my display driver is up to date (Version 8.15.10.1930).  

Like I said, I have successfully installed Kodi on much older machines with single-core processors and had no issues at all.  This is the second of two Dell Optiplex 330 desktop models I have tried installing Kodi on (one has Windows 10, the other has Windows 7) but neither one of them will display video on Kodi even though the sound from videos can be heard. 

Though I still do not understand why my dual core CPU can't render videos in Kodi (it can play YT videos in a browser just fine) I did manage to find a workaround in the form of a low-profile graphics card.  I removed the metal slot from an old AMD Radeon 9000 1GB card, slapped it into the PCI-Express port, downloaded Catalyst, updated the driver and Kodi worked without issue.  Looks like I will have to acquire another one of these along with a stronger processor (either the Q6700 which runs at 2.6GHz with 8MB of L2 cache or the modded Xeon 771 to 775 E5450 which runs at 3.00GHz and has 12MB of L2 Cache).  Despite only having 2 RAM slots, I do know that the PC can handle a maximum of 8GB of DDR2 PC-6400 running at 800MHz.   

I'm looking at around $54.00 per desktop for the CPU, RAM, and $10-15 for one graphics card in addition to the $12.00 each that I spent on the actual computers (they came with monitors, keyboards, and mice, as well).  So for under a total of $85.00 each (Around $170.00 total), I will be able to breathe some decent life into two aging systems.  My only wish is that they were the Mini-Tower versions so I could upgrade the power supplies, slap a couple of GT 1030's or GTX 1050's in and make some really decent entry-level gaming rigs. Perhaps it will still be possible (I need to do more research regarding the power supply options for the desktop versions of these computers) but even if it isn't, they will still make good daily-user computers for my nieces.  All in all, I am very happy as I'm all about prolonging system lives of these older Dell machines, even if they don't have all the new cpu and chipset features that newer varieties offer. 

That said, I guess that unless anyone else has some insights as to why my E7200 CPU's fail to render graphics in Kodi, since I have found a workaround, this thread can be closed.  Thank you, Karellen, for all of your assistance.
(2019-06-19, 01:43)_NXS_ Wrote:
(2019-06-18, 17:49)_NXS_ Wrote:

Though I still do not understand why my dual core CPU can't render videos in Kodi (it can play YT videos in a browser just fine) I did manage to find a workaround in the form of a low-profile graphics card.  I removed the metal slot from an old AMD Radeon 9000 1GB card, slapped it into the PCI-Express port, downloaded Catalyst, updated the driver and Kodi worked without issue.  Looks like I will have to acquire another one of these along with a stronger processor (either the Q6700 which runs at 2.6GHz with 8MB of L2 cache or the modded Xeon 771 to 775 E5450 which runs at 3.00GHz and has 12MB of L2 Cache).  Despite only having 2 RAM slots, I do know that the PC can handle a maximum of 8GB of DDR2 PC-6400 running at 800MHz.   

I'm looking at around $54.00 per desktop for the CPU, RAM, and $10-15 for one graphics card in addition to the $12.00 each that I spent on the actual computers (they came with monitors, keyboards, and mice, as well).  So for under a total of $85.00 each (Around $170.00 total), I will be able to breathe some decent life into two aging systems.  My only wish is that they were the Mini-Tower versions so I could upgrade the power supplies, slap a couple of GT 1030's or GTX 1050's in and make some really decent entry-level gaming rigs. Perhaps it will still be possible (I need to do more research regarding the power supply options for the desktop versions of these computers) but even if it isn't, they will still make good daily-user computers for my nieces.  All in all, I am very happy as I'm all about prolonging system lives of these older Dell machines, even if they don't have all the new cpu and chipset features that newer varieties offer. 

That said, I guess that unless anyone else has some insights as to why my E7200 CPU's fail to render graphics in Kodi, since I have found a workaround, this thread can be closed.  Thank you, Karellen, for all of your assistance. 

I meant to type AMD Radeon 9000 1GB graphics card.  The card itself is low profile, but the metal slot on the end is normal size, so I had to remove it in order to get the card to fit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
18.2 No Video; Only Audio0