• 3(current)
Raspberry Pi 4
(2019-06-24, 11:22)Luminair Wrote: > The H.265 / HEVC decoder is a HEVCv2 Main 4:4:4 10 design
This is very interesting. AFAIK, this may be the only "consumer SoC" that supports HEVC version 2 profiles.
Awww great.....

Another upgrade soon! It’s becoming expensive upgrading two HTPCS!!!

It’s gonna be £64 and another £30 for the Kodi cases!!!

Im not s happy bunny!!!

(Tongue is firmly in my cheek writing this lol)
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2019-06-24, 15:16)infinity85 Wrote: Raspberry Org and Team Kodi!

I'm so excited about the bomb you guys fired today with RPi 4B launch. 

Perhaps you'll find some time to answer me some questions regarding the new star:
  1. Is there any 3D MVC support planned for the new RPi4? Since the SoC is so different, I assume that this is not going to be taken for granted? (@popcornmix )

From Pi Forums :
Quote:The H264 block is the same, so still supports MVC. I have got a little bit of plumbing left to get the relevant signalling through DRM when using that, but it shouldn't be huge.

Yes, the HVS/HDMI should still support the same stereoscopic signalling.

3D support with HEVC may be slightly further down the line. 10bit HEVC is already done.
Full HDR rendering needs a load of changes that have only just been merged into Linux mainline, so lots of stuff will have to be backported or bump forward (ie the next LTS release), but it should come fairly rapidly.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...0#p1484270
(2019-06-24, 15:27)wesk05 Wrote:
(2019-06-24, 11:22)Luminair Wrote: > The H.265 / HEVC decoder is a HEVCv2 Main 4:4:4 10 design
This is very interesting. AFAIK, this may be the only "consumer SoC" that supports HEVC version 2 profiles. 
I wonder if 4:2:2 is supported as well as 4:4:4 and 4:2:0.
(2019-06-24, 15:31)noggin Wrote: From Pi Forums :
3D support with HEVC may be slightly further down the line.
3D-HEVC/MV-HEVC are version 3 profiles. If RPi4B supports this, this would be another first.
(2019-06-24, 15:38)noggin Wrote: I wonder if 4:2:2 is supported as well as 4:4:4 and 4:2:0. 
My guess is that it would support them.
(2019-06-24, 15:31)noggin Wrote: From Pi Forums :
Quote:The H264 block is the same, so still supports MVC. I have got a little bit of plumbing left to get the relevant signalling through DRM when using that, but it shouldn't be huge.

Yes, the HVS/HDMI should still support the same stereoscopic signalling.

3D support with HEVC may be slightly further down the line. 10bit HEVC is already done.
Full HDR rendering needs a load of changes that have only just been merged into Linux mainline, so lots of stuff will have to be backported or bump forward (ie the next LTS release), but it should come fairly rapidly.
@noggin You are the man! Would've never found that Info! Thank you so much Smile

That sound pretty amazing... in germany we would call this beast a true "eierlegende Wollmilchsau". Just an awesome piece of hardware and (hopefully) software in one device.

Regarding 3D with HEVC: Afaik there is no standard for 3D HEVC, is there? I think HEVC 3D is only working with (Half)-TopBottom and (Half)-SideBySide, since this goes around the standard as simple 2D.

Thanks again for your fast reply Smile

@wesk05 Oh wow, so there is indeed a standard for it!? Well, since RPi4B is an HEVCv2 device, there shouldn't be any hope for MV-HEVC? I'm open-mouthed currently...MV-HEVC? There is no content so far with this codec, right? There shouldn't even be a (software-) encoder for this. So what is it supposed for? First time I read about this.
Wow I'm liking this upgrade. Wonder if this could make a decent file sever to serve up media in my house with the gigabit ethernet.

Finally some competition to the Odroid C2.
I hope it's just as capable, especially with HD audio output.
Wow. This could my plans to upgrade my pc GPU for 4K.

Is 2GB going to be relevant for KODI/media use? Or just get the 1GB?
(2019-06-25, 00:27)chairwizz Wrote: Wow. This could my plans to upgrade my pc GPU for 4K.

If you want 4K - suggestion is that the 2GB is a sensible choice. Currently 4K HEVC and output is a bit of a tight squeeze on the 1GB model apparently.
(2019-06-25, 01:33)noggin Wrote:
(2019-06-25, 00:27)chairwizz Wrote: Wow. This could my plans to upgrade my pc GPU for 4K.

If you want 4K - suggestion is that the 2GB is a sensible choice. Currently 4K HEVC and output is a bit of a tight squeeze on the 1GB model apparently.

That’s great: it’s amazing how much we know already when the ink is barely dry on the box.
Slash is asking about alternate uses of the Pi https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/19/0...spberry-pi might worth a read if you plan on having another one kicking around.
Before people get too sidetracked with tech Specs...

There is some very useful info about RPi4b and Kodi compatibility over on the OSCM forums (click)

"4K and HDR support expected on late 2020 - beginning of 2021...."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
(2019-06-25, 09:21)solamnic Wrote: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What else do you expect with only a limited number of developers, and the rest of the people picking their noses on the sidelines.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 43