• 226(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2019-07-08, 11:06)te36 Wrote:
(2019-06-18, 22:28)te36 Wrote: This is the box i bought:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007122...4c4dhh7jOg
Btw: just verified that the March 2019 Kodi 18.2 64 bit build from the first post in this thread works fine with Frame Packet HDMI 1.4a (full 1080 SBS, 24fps) for BD MVC material on the HDMI output port of that Kaby Lake box (Intel i5-7260U). 64 bit Windows 10 pro is Build 17134. 

Experience with Blu Ray menu operation in 18.2 is "ok", sometimes it works, sometimes the menu doesn't recognize the player as capable of 3D and then i have to play the 3D movie from the playlist, which always works. Have not yet installed Oracle Java to see what difference it would make.

Alas only HDMI 1.4a display here right now, so i can not check 4K/HDR now. Hopefully later.

The first post claims that 3D only works on "ancient" hardware. Not sure if Kaby Lake is already ancient ;-)

Given the speed of the i5 and ability to have 16 Gbyte in it, i prefer that for home over a lower end fixed memory atom box.

The azulle byte3 atom 3455 box i have is better for travel though, half price, half size and fits an internal 2.5" hdd. 

"Alas only HDMI 1.4a display here right now........"

And that is the reason why the 3D MVC works. It is not Kaby Lake related, it's HDMI version related.

Does this system has an HDMI 2.0a port?
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2019-07-08, 11:55)p750mmx Wrote: "Alas only HDMI 1.4a display here right now........"

And that is the reason why the 3D MVC works. It is not Kaby Lake related, it's HDMI version related.

Specs don't say, but Intels ARK says 7260U has a separate HDMI 1.4 port + DP + eDP port, so it would be very surprising if this was not the native HDMI 1.4 port. No idea how to even figure this out. Seems the LSPCON is mostly an issue for the newer Intel boxes with only a single HDMI and no other video ports because those want to offer HDMI 2.0 for UHD@60Hz and need to use an LSPCON. 

The whole idea of buying this box was first hand to have a working 3D box without fan noise and reasonably fast CPU and also have an extra DP port where i could play around with DP->HDMI adapters and their LSPCON chips. 

Some good summary of the current state of LSPCON issues would be great.

Intel NOC seem to have MegaChips MCDP2800 built-in, so what exactly does and does not work with their latest 1.72 firmware update ? According to MegaChips web page, the MCDP2800 does support "Steroscopic 3D forwarding".

And there are lot of external LSPCON options for those like me who have a DP port. Example:

https://plugable.com/products/dp-hdmi/

Claims 3D support. No HDR though, but when i connect to a reasonably priced front projection TV, H.2020 color space becomes only relevant once you get a >> $5,000 projector. Otherwise the HDR->SDR conversion is more relevant. Have to start playing around with that and see how it looks.

There is also the MCDP2900 that claims HDR support (and of course 3D) and thats available in external DP/HDMI adapters, but its unclear me whether the HDR features would make it through Intels driver for the DP1.2 port on the "older" CPU like Kaby Lake. Supposedly some newer features like HDR metadata could have been backported given how they do not require any of the new DP1.4 HW features.
(2019-07-08, 13:30)te36 Wrote:
(2019-07-08, 11:55)p750mmx Wrote: "Alas only HDMI 1.4a display here right now........"

Specs don't say, but Intels ARK says 7260U has a separate HDMI 1.4 port + DP + eDP port, so it would be very surprising if this was not the native HDMI 1.4 port. No idea how to even figure this out. Seems the LSPCON is mostly an issue for the newer Intel boxes with only a single HDMI and no other video ports because those want to offer HDMI 2.0 for UHD@60Hz and need to use an LSPCON. 

The whole idea of buying this box was first hand to have a working 3D box without fan noise and reasonably fast CPU and also have an extra DP port where i could play around with DP->HDMI adapters and their LSPCON chips. 

Some good summary of the current state of LSPCON issues would be great.

Intel NOC seem to have MegaChips MCDP2800 built-in, so what exactly does and does not work with their latest 1.72 firmware update ? According to MegaChips web page, the MCDP2800 does support "Steroscopic 3D forwarding".

And there are lot of external LSPCON options for those like me who have a DP port. Example:

https://plugable.com/products/dp-hdmi/

Claims 3D support. No HDR though, but when i connect to a reasonably priced front projection TV, H.2020 color space becomes only relevant once you get a >> $5,000 projector. Otherwise the HDR->SDR conversion is more relevant. Have to start playing around with that and see how it looks.

There is also the MCDP2900 that claims HDR support (and of course 3D) and thats available in external DP/HDMI adapters, but its unclear me whether the HDR features would make it through Intels driver for the DP1.2 port on the "older" CPU like Kaby Lake. Supposedly some newer features like HDR metadata could have been backported given how they do not require any of the new DP1.4 HW features.  
The Intel spec's page says which max resolution is supported when using a specific output. This is not CPU/iGP related, it is output port related. You can see those specifications with a lot of other Intel CPU's. My Shuttle Kaby Lake barebone (with i3-7100) has 3 HDMI outputs, 1x 2.0a, 2x 1.4.. The 2.0a port uses the LSPCON solution.

HDR = HDCP2.2 = HDMI 2.0a as a minimum, the Windows version of Kodi (18) doesn't output HDR as is.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2019-07-08, 13:54)p750mmx Wrote: The Intel spec's page says which max resolution is supported when using a specific output. This is not CPU/iGP related, it is output port related. You can see those specifications with a lot of other Intel CPU's. My Shuttle Kaby Lake barebone (with i3-7100) has 3 HDMI outputs, 1x 2.0a, 2x 1.4.. The 2.0a port uses the LSPCON solution.
The Intel ARK pages discusses output ports only for the CPU like your i3-7100 (or my 7260U),  but not for the chipset like your H270. This made me believe that the output port features are actually a feature provided by the CPU chip and not the chipset - except for the external LSPCON. This is also what the Intel HDR whitepaper seems to suggest:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/suppor...ePaper.pdf

Alas, i do not understand further details. From the fact that your motherboard has 3 * HDMI, it seems to me as if the Intel CPU/GPU chip could have 3 equal ports that could be configured for HDMI up to 1.4b or DP up 1.2 or eDP. And when HDMI > 1.4b was needed, then the motherboard would need an LSPCON.

Its also unclear to me if the DP port on my PC is actually ++DP, aka: would support a passive DP->HDMI adapter/level-shifter. I guess this would have to be something to be supported by the Intel GPU/CPU chip output port too.
(2019-07-08, 13:54)p750mmx Wrote: HDR = HDCP2.2 = HDMI 2.0a as a minimum, the Windows version of Kodi (18) doesn't output HDR as is. 
Right.

The Kaby Lake Intel NUC seem to have MCDP2800 LSPCON which claims support for HDCP2.2 HDMI.
Do you know which LSPCON chip he DH270 has ?
(2019-07-08, 11:06)te36 Wrote:
(2019-06-18, 22:28)te36 Wrote: This is the box i bought:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007122...4c4dhh7jOg
Btw: just verified that the March 2019 Kodi 18.2 64 bit build from the first post in this thread works fine with Frame Packet HDMI 1.4a (full 1080 SBS, 24fps) for BD MVC material on the HDMI output port of that Kaby Lake box (Intel i5-7260U). 64 bit Windows 10 pro is Build 17134. 

Experience with Blu Ray menu operation in 18.2 is "ok", sometimes it works, sometimes the menu doesn't recognize the player as capable of 3D and then i have to play the 3D movie from the playlist, which always works. Have not yet installed Oracle Java to see what difference it would make.

Alas only HDMI 1.4a display here right now, so i can not check 4K/HDR now. Hopefully later.

The first post claims that 3D only works on "ancient" hardware. Not sure if Kaby Lake is already ancient ;-)

Given the speed of the i5 and ability to have 16 Gbyte in it, i prefer that for home over a lower end fixed memory atom box.

The azulle byte3 atom 3455 box i have is better for travel though, half price, half size and fits an internal 2.5" hdd.  

Welcome to the club, good to hear that it mostly works well for you (Don't use ISOS myself) and I'm not the only one with a working HDMI 2.0 port for MVC 3D. Originally anything Kaby Lake or later would not work but I think one of the driver updates at the beginning of this year changed that. Also am I right in assuming you are using a NUC7I5BNK ?
(2019-07-08, 16:51)te36 Wrote: ually a feature provided by the CPU chip and not the chipset - except for the external LSPCON. This is also what the Intel HDR whitepaper seems to suggest:

I'm using a Supermicro X11SCA which works well with an HDMI 1.4 display using an HDMI 2.0 output port and the board uses the rarer Paradetech PS175 chip. If you take a look at the manual for the X11SCA the block diagram should confirm what are you thinking; the LSPCON connects directly to the CPU so the chipset is largely irrelevant (My board is using a C246 Xeon chipset). 

The PS175 claims  to support HDCP 1.4 and HDCP 2.3. No mention of 3D support but it seems to work well with the exception of a couple of right eye first 3D titles (If you could confirm if you can play right eye first MVC content or not that would be useful). From a list I saw a while back on Reddit it seems nearly all Intel boards with HDMI 2.0 ports use Megachips while Supermicro and Biostar seem to mainly use Paradetech. The Paradetech PS176 seems to be fairly common in the external dongles too.
(2019-07-08, 16:51)te36 Wrote:
(2019-07-08, 13:54)p750mmx Wrote: The Intel spec's page says which max resolution is supported when using a specific output. This is not CPU/iGP related, it is output port related. You can see those specifications with a lot of other Intel CPU's. My Shuttle Kaby Lake barebone (with i3-7100) has 3 HDMI outputs, 1x 2.0a, 2x 1.4.. The 2.0a port uses the LSPCON solution.
The Intel ARK pages discusses output ports only for the CPU like your i3-7100 (or my 7260U),  but not for the chipset like your H270. This made me believe that the output port features are actually a feature provided by the CPU chip and not the chipset - except for the external LSPCON. This is also what the Intel HDR whitepaper seems to suggest:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/suppor...ePaper.pdf

Alas, i do not understand further details. From the fact that your motherboard has 3 * HDMI, it seems to me as if the Intel CPU/GPU chip could have 3 equal ports that could be configured for HDMI up to 1.4b or DP up 1.2 or eDP. And when HDMI > 1.4b was needed, then the motherboard would need an LSPCON.

Its also unclear to me if the DP port on my PC is actually ++DP, aka: would support a passive DP->HDMI adapter/level-shifter. I guess this would have to be something to be supported by the Intel GPU/CPU chip output port too.
(2019-07-08, 13:54)p750mmx Wrote: HDR = HDCP2.2 = HDMI 2.0a as a minimum, the Windows version of Kodi (18) doesn't output HDR as is. 
Right.

The Kaby Lake Intel NUC seem to have MCDP2800 LSPCON which claims support for HDCP2.2 HDMI.
Do you know which LSPCON chip he DH270 has ? 
A quick reply to the last question. I couldn't find the answer at this moment.
It's a http://www.megachips.com/products/displayport/MCDP28x0 or a https://www.paradetech.com/parade-techno...onverters/ (PS175).

I could not get HDR working with a DP1.2 > HDMI2.0 active adapter on an previous Kaby Lake system that did not have a HDMI 2.0a port. It works with the system in my signature (not in Kodi though).

Of-course an internal iGP has it limitations, I would only wanted to point out the limitations of a graphical interface. As an example;
- HDMI 1.4 doesn't go any higher then 2160p@30Hz and never supports HDR
- DP 1.2 goes up to 2160p@60Hz (or HDMI 2.0a with converter)
- minimum CPU for HDR is 7th generation Core CPU (Aka Kaby Lake) and HD 630 graphics (as I recall).
Interestingly both the Paradetech and Megachips solutions we are talking about have been superseded. Intel say only an HDMI 2.0a converter is needed for HDR and specifically the older PS17X and MCDP2800 will work but I think they are exclusively talking about the most common HDR-10. Although no OS support is yet available for the various other flavours of HDR I think you need HDMI 2.0B for HLG, interestingly HDFury proved that the only thing needed for Dolby Vision compatibility in the output chip is to output a header as it works within standard colour depths of HDMI 2.0.

Paradetech PS186 Converter:
https://www.lindy-international.com/Disp...1062&ci=20

MegaChips MCDP2900 Converter:
https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/d..._2.0b_hdr/
(2019-07-08, 19:43)Krobar Wrote: Welcome to the club, good to hear that it mostly works well for you (Don't use ISOS myself) and I'm not the only one with a working HDMI 2.0 port for MVC 3D. Originally anything Kaby Lake or later would not work but I think one of the driver updates at the beginning of this year changed that. Also am I right in assuming you are using a NUC7I5BNK ?
Whether ISO or directory ripped from DVD/BD does not seem to make a difference in my experience because of the "browse into" feature in kodi, so ISO are a nice way to reduce clutter on disk. Mileage may vary with other kodi options like DSplayer which i have not explored. Main issue is still the support for BD menu in Kodi, but its improving. And always better to have all the menu files on disk and maybe having to play them from a playlist file then not having them at all. Given how the whole exercise is about keeping the data i paid for (DVD/BD) alive without deterioration, its the only way anyhow. Already had a few read errors on some of my oldest DVD.

No, not using any actual Intel NUC, i never liked the form factor/noise. I may have lazily said "NUC" in some posts to refer to my 3455 atom PC (azulle byte3). Should get a better signature one of these days.
(2019-07-08, 20:05)p750mmx Wrote: It's a http://www.megachips.com/products/displayport/MCDP28x0 or a https://www.paradetech.com/parade-techno...onverters/ (PS175).

Nice. I have one of MCDP2900 adapters on order. Lets see.

(2019-07-08, 20:05)p750mmx Wrote: I could not get HDR working with a DP1.2 > HDMI2.0 active adapter on an previous Kaby Lake system that did not have a HDMI 2.0a port. It works with the system in my signature (not in Kodi though).

Ah, so the Shuttle DH270 LSPCON can do HDMI 2.0a even though it nowhere says so in the spec/docs (that i could find). Only reports to HDMI2.0 there.
Might be a good indicator for other boxes to also check if 'a' is possible ?!

(2019-07-08, 20:05)p750mmx Wrote: Of-course an internal iGP has it limitations, I would only wanted to point out the limitations of a graphical interface. As an example;
- minimum CPU for HDR is 7th generation Core CPU (Aka Kaby Lake) and HD 630 graphics (as I recall). 

DP 1.2 does not support HDR (officially), only DP 1.4 introduces it, so theoretically you shouldn't be able to convert DP 1.2 into HDMI 2.0a for HDR because that HDR from 2.0a would require HDR metadata coming from the PC and thus requiring DP 1.4. At least thats how i understand it. And i kinda don't believe it. Hence my confusion.

Yes, the HDR requires >= HD630 seems to be Intels current play, other posts in the kodi forums seem to say this should be mostly a driver issue, not HW, but except for travel boxes i am not so much worried to use atom now, and for travel its kinda unlikely to encounter a HDR or 3D display anyhow.
(2019-07-08, 20:28)Krobar Wrote: Interestingly both the Paradetech and Megachips solutions we are talking about have been superseded. Intel say only an HDMI 2.0a converter is needed for HDR and specifically the older PS17X and MCDP2800 will work but I think they are exclusively talking about the most common HDR-10. Although no OS support is yet available for the various other flavours of HDR I think you need HDMI 2.0B for HLG, interestingly HDFury proved that the only thing needed for Dolby Vision compatibility in the output chip is to output a header as it works within standard colour depths of HDMI 2.0.

Paradetech PS186 Converter:
https://www.lindy-international.com/Disp...1062&ci=20

MegaChips MCDP2900 Converter:
https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/d..._2.0b_hdr/
The Paradetech adapter page is most interesting to me because it claims DP1.2 -> HDMI2.0 with HDR. But HDMI standards seem to start referring to HDR only starting with HDMI2.0a, aka: HDR == metadata, whereas HDMI2.0 already has BT.2020 color space (without metadata i guess ?! manually config on display ?).

The PS186 used in the adapter is listed as DP1.4 -> HDMI2.0a, but it does not describe either whether the HDMI2.0a metadata requires a DP1.4 port on the PC or could also be supported with a DP1.2 port.

When i was young, i was playing adventure games on PCs, now the PC is the adventure game.
(2019-07-09, 08:36)te36 Wrote:
(2019-07-08, 20:05)p750mmx Wrote: It's a http://www.megachips.com/products/displayport/MCDP28x0 or a https://www.paradetech.com/parade-techno...onverters/ (PS175).

Nice. I have one of MCDP2900 adapters on order. Lets see.
(2019-07-08, 20:05)p750mmx Wrote: I could not get HDR working with a DP1.2 > HDMI2.0 active adapter on an previous Kaby Lake system that did not have a HDMI 2.0a port. It works with the system in my signature (not in Kodi though).

Ah, so the Shuttle DH270 LSPCON can do HDMI 2.0a even though it nowhere says so in the spec/docs (that i could find). Only reports to HDMI2.0 there.
Might be a good indicator for other boxes to also check if 'a' is possible ?!
(2019-07-08, 20:05)p750mmx Wrote: Of-course an internal iGP has it limitations, I would only wanted to point out the limitations of a graphical interface. As an example;

DP 1.2 does not support HDR (officially), only DP 1.4 introduces it, so theoretically you shouldn't be able to convert DP 1.2 into HDMI 2.0a for HDR because that HDR from 2.0a would require HDR metadata coming from the PC and thus requiring DP 1.4. At least thats how i understand it. And i kinda don't believe it. Hence my confusion.

Yes, the HDR requires >= HD630 seems to be Intels current play, other posts in the kodi forums seem to say this should be mostly a driver issue, not HW, but except for travel boxes i am not so much worried to use atom now, and for travel its kinda unlikely to encounter a HDR or 3D display anyhow.  
Not Only a HD630, but also a Core CPU. A Kaby Lake Pentium with HD630 Graphics isn't enough (says Intel, and yes I tried). Having said that, HDR is not the major subject of this topic Wink

In this Shuttle product overview you can see the 2.0a port for the DH270.
No luck getting HDMI 1.4a frame packed 3D out of my PC DP1.2 port with external DP->HDMI adapter.

This PC with i7260U CPU (HD640 graphic): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007122...4c4dSCnT1I
Win10 Pro, latest updates as of today (Version 1903, OS build 18362.239), Latest Intel GPU driver (from Intel): 26.20.100.6912
Monitor is HDMI1.4a FullHD, Passive 3D (older Panasonic).
Kodi (up to 183, no special MVC builds) works fine with HDMI Frame Packed HDMI 1.4a output on the HDMI 1.4 output port of the PC.

Tried the following two DP->HDMI adapter both supposedly using Megachips 2900:
Club 3D CAC-1080: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2442/d..._2.0b_hdr/
DeLock 63936: https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_63936/merkmale.html
The Club 3D was 10 Eur more expensive, the DeLock web page claims "Supports 3D displays (1080p @ 120 Hz)"

Both exposed the same behavior in windows 10:

Windows -> Settings -> Display: Display Resolution:
  shows 1920 x 1080 (Recommended, 3D) - this is what i also get for HDMI 1.4a port connected directly to HDMI 1.4a TV
  all other resolutions show XXX x YYY (3D) - this is highly unusual for me, this is not shown on HDMI 1.4a port/TV

Intel display control app does not provide additional info except that it allows to change display frame rate 24/50/60 for desktop

Kodi system settings do NOT allow to select "Hardware based" (aka: HDMI 1.4a frame based) in system settings.
When setting "ask me" and playing back a 3D file, kodi does as for "Preferred mode (Hardware based)", but its kinda fishy, because when choosing "Select alternate mode..." sub menu, that option is not there anymore. When selecting "Preferred mode", Kodi does not seem to do any transcoding, so a typical HSBS mkv file is shown as if no 3D decoding was done at all - seeing left/right side-by-side, and when playing a Half Top/Bottom mkv it shows top/bottom. In both cases, the TV 3D recognition triggers.

Of course, when playing Full HD 3D (MKV, block_lr, full-SBS or the like), kodi just scales down to 1080p first, aka: no Full HD 3D output, no triggering of HDMI 1.4a frame packed 3D. So, no Full HD 3D output.

No idea if there is anything else i could experiment with on these adapters. I guess i will keep the cheaper one in case i'll get around doing HDR testing later on given how the MCDP2900 claims to be HDR with DP 1.4.

I guess i can try to find external adapters using any of the other LSPCON chips discussed in prior posts.

I wonder if these adapters are actually rightfully claiming 3D, just not HDMI 1.4a 3D. E.g.: What if i had one of those "PC 3D" displays using higher frame rate output ? I have not seen discussion about this here in Kodi. Not sure if it supports it at all. Any idea ?
(2019-07-10, 13:25)p750mmx Wrote: Not Only a HD630, but also a Core CPU. A Kaby Lake Pentium with HD630 Graphics isn't enough (says Intel, and yes I tried). Having said that, HDR is not the major subject of this topic Wink

Yes, i think the only HDR interest in this topic is what options there are to get Frame Packet HDMI 1.4a AND HDR across the same HDMI (or DP) to a display. Probably never for the same video (same time) though (sigh). But having a HDMI > 1.4a (aka: 2.0 or larger) port without HDR seems fairly useless for Kodi (not that HDR is very useful today anyhow due to Kodis missing support on windows today, but hopefully thats changing). The only improvement for video over 1.4a would i guess be 4k@60 of which i guess the number of BD can be counted on the fingers of a wood cutter ? ;-).

Thanks for the Shuttle URL, all the ones i found did only mention 2.0. Poor marketing people without a clue about technology always have a hard time figuring out which letters in these strange abbreviations can be left out ... i guess *sigh*.
(2019-07-11, 09:45)te36 Wrote:
(2019-07-10, 13:25)p750mmx Wrote: Not Only a HD630, but also a Core CPU. A Kaby Lake Pentium with HD630 Graphics isn't enough (says Intel, and yes I tried). Having said that, HDR is not the major subject of this topic Wink

Yes, i think the only HDR interest in this topic is what options there are to get Frame Packet HDMI 1.4a AND HDR across the same HDMI (or DP) to a display. Probably never for the same video (same time) though (sigh).  

Not sure if you know but, many of us have been using a Windows PC with nVidia or AMD.  One HDMI 2.0 out to display renders UHD HDR (4k) and 3D MVC Frame Packed and SBS/TAB reencodes automated perfectly for years now.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
  • 226(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10