Release PBS Kids Video Addon
(2019-06-11, 05:51)jmraker Wrote: I changed the source to fix the 1st screen of the addon.  Only the 1st screen that shows the list of PBS kids shows was changed.  Tested it a little on Krypton on windows, and Leia on a raspberry pi.

If you're feeling lucky you can try fixing it yourself.
My working version is at [Code link removed by Mod, out of date with current kodi.org repo version]
You'd install it by renaming and then replacing the installed add-on's python script in your kodi directory Kodi/addons/plugin.video.pbskids/resources/lib/scraper.py 
If you need help finding it, it might be in the addon folder that's one directory up from the userdata folder in this wiki https://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

---
If anyone looks through the changed code able to add it to the repository, I'm guessing that a few things could be cleaned up.  the old "getAddonMenu" was the only thing using regular expressions and htmlparser and could be removed.  I also added a log function that I stopped using when everything worked.
Thanks.  Your modified file works for me.
(2019-06-12, 05:28)knappster Wrote:
(2019-06-11, 05:51)jmraker Wrote:
Code:
I changed the source to fix the 1st screen of the addon.  Only the 1st screen that shows the list of PBS kids shows was changed.  Tested it a little on Krypton on windows, and Leia on a raspberry pi.

My working version is at https://filebin.ca/4kBnSja2nYl8/scraper.py

You'd install it by renaming and then replacing the installed add-on's python script in your kodi directory Kodi/addons/plugin.video.pbskids/resources/lib/scraper.py 
If you need help finding it, it might be in the addon folder that's one directory up from the userdata folder in this wiki https://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

---
If anyone looks through the changed code able to add it to the repository, I'm guessing that a few things could be cleaned up.  the old "getAddonMenu" was the only thing using regular expressions and htmlparser and could be removed.  I also added a log function that I stopped using when everything worked.
The modified file works only for shows in the "kids-programs-tier-1" collection.  The "kids-programs-tier-2" and "kids-programs-tier-3" collections do not work because the URL code line is missing from those sections in the "getAddonMenu" function.  Below is a corrected version of that function.  I commented out the existing log line, and added in four (4) new lines of code as shown with comments and arrows.  I hope this helps other frustrated parents.  Smile

[Code block removed by Mod, please DO NOT put code in forum posts]
(2019-06-21, 21:11)Seraphpdh Wrote:
Code:
I changed the source to fix the 1st screen of the addon.  Only the 1st screen that shows the list of PBS kids shows was changed.  Tested it a little on Krypton on windows, and Leia on a raspberry pi.

---
The modified file works only for shows in the "kids-programs-tier-1" collection.  The "kids-programs-tier-2" and "kids-programs-tier-3" collections do not work because the URL code line is missing from those sections in the "getAddonMenu" function.  Below is a corrected version of that function.  I commented out the existing log line, and added in four (4) new lines of code as shown with comments and arrows.  I hope this helps other frustrated parents.  Smile

############################

Thanks!

After this last modification, Sesame Street (that was not working with the posted scrapper.py) started working

Can we expect to have it on the repository any time soon?
Only, if anyone of you takes over the maintenance of that add-on and submits the changes to the official Kodi repository.
Code:

---

Thanks a ton. It now is working as expected with the above fix.

On a related note, looks like the Git repository for this addon is not there anymore.
(2019-07-13, 22:56)prashkod Wrote:
(2019-06-12, 05:28)knappster Wrote: Thanks.  Your modified file works for me.       

Thanks a ton. It now is working as expected with the above fix.

On a related note, looks like the Git repository for this addon is not there anymore.  

Can someone please repost the working file here on a file share site?  My schedule is likely to open up in the next few weeks, if nobody picks up the Kodi ownership for this project, I would like to pitch in and help.
(2019-07-17, 17:03)Brad Peterson Wrote: Can someone please repost the working file here on a file share site? 

The officially published zip file(s) can be found at this web site.  The changes to the video add-on are described above in this thread.  'Hope that helps.
Looks like PBS is doing some changes under the hood on their site, and it broke again.  I did some digging on the site source, and after poking around I have another fix.  They are storing the episode metadata using the 'slug' names on a new URL, and in addition Sesame Street was moved to a different collection called 'kids-show-spotlight'.  New modified code as of 2019-07-26 is presented below.  Patch as before, and everything should work.  Need to replace the "getAddonMenu" function in the file "scraper.py" just like last time.  Feel free to steal these modifications and apply them to a formal release as needed whoever takes this over.  Stay at home parenting only allows for so much tinkering time... 

Enjoy!  Smile

I took a few minutes to clean up the code a little from earlier today, and also have it display the shows in the main menu roughly in alphabetical order instead of whatever order the addon found them.  My wife suggested I have it not display Caillou since it is objectively horrible, but I resisted the temptation.  Smile

Below is the updated code:

Found this thread today because I'm having problems with this addon. Is there an issue again and does anyone have a fix?
(2019-07-27, 03:03)Seraphpdh Wrote: I took a few minutes to clean up the code a little from earlier today, and also have it display the shows in the main menu roughly in alphabetical order instead of whatever order the addon found them.  My wife suggested I have it not display Caillou since it is objectively horrible, but I resisted the temptation.  Smile

Below is the updated code:

This patch make the plugin work for me and my kids are very happy. Whis the process to get this comitted to the upstream source?
Hello, I am out of US and want to watch PBS kids through the addon.
I tried the VPN but I cannot see the list of contents from the addon at all.
Is this because of region lock of PBS Kids Channel?
Is there any way of watching it from overseas?
(2020-02-02, 10:46)drgblue Wrote: Is there any way of watching it from overseas?

As per our VPN policy (wiki), this is not a forum where to find tips or tricks to circumvent geo locks in any way.
When I click the PBS Kids icon, it shows no content list. 
Is this normal? Or I should see some contents?
@drgblue, the addon from the repository is broken, but there is a fix outlined in this post:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2871897

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PBS Kids Video Addon0