v18 Embedded video tags not recognised
I have a fresh installation of Kodi Leia v18.2 on a Windows 10 machine. I have a bunch of MP4 files and I want Kodi to use the tags embedded in the files rather than an external scraper so I've enabled the option to use video tags; this is the first time I've used Kodi, so these files have never been scanned before. Some of the files had tags (such as Title) already set when I downloaded them, others I tagged using the Windows file properties dialog. Many of them have no tags.

After scanning, I found that only a part of the collection had been added to the library. I expected this, because I had seen in the Wiki that only files with a Title tag set would be added. However, what was added was only some of the files that had a Title tag; looking through the files, I noticed that the ones that had been added to the library were the ones that had the title in quotes e.g. "This is a title". I then tried editing some of the titles and put quotes around the text, and rescanning, but they are still not added to the library. So far what I have been able to establish by trial and error is that only files that were downloaded with the title tags set and in quotes are added to the library; downloaded files with the titles not quoted are not recognised, and titles that I set using the file attributes dialog (either with or without quotes) are not recognised.

Is this a bug, or a feature that I'm not using right ?
@levithanh409

Use of embedded video tags is an experimental feature that never really gained traction so has not been maintained since shortly after being introduced.

No-one here has enough knowledge to help you with your problem, as you can probably tell from the state of the wiki page. And you are only one of a very small handful of members that have inquired about it.

My advice is that you forget about embedded video tags, disable that setting and scrape your files into the Kodi library.

Some of the links in My Signature below may be of use to you.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
My personal experience is that mp4 files that are avc video and aac audio work well (for music video).  I have some others that have opus audio and those aren't successfully scanned.  I haven't had time to research more to try to figure out what is going on.  Also some are mp4 v1 and some are mp4 v2 so that might be involved.  So if you can do some more research into what's different between files that work and ones that don't, that can be helpful.

scott s.
Strange, the original post is a cut and paste of my query from a few months before. I wonder if OP is a bot ? However, my post didn't get any replies, so thanks for the replies here. @scott967 , I'll post here if I find anything that looks significant.

Fritz M.
@fritzm

Thanks for letting us know. Yes it is a duplicate of your post.

I will move all these responses to your original thread and the the other member will be purged as a spammer.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Embedded video tags not recognised0